Tipper with drawbar?

toying with the idea of buying a little tipper and plant trailer, maybe an ex council four wheeler which would not only give us the means to transport our own plant to site it would also allow us to shift spoil off of the smaller jobs where there was no room to stockpile it to make up an eight legger load, plus we’d use it to fetch aggregates and cony etc. over the years i have only ever seen one bloke running this sort of setup, does anyone know what the max train weight would be with an eighteen tonner, i.e what the max gvw of the plant trailer would be?
also to run spoil to the local landfills would we need a waste transfer license?
cheers
paul.

It’ll depend on the spec of the 18 tonner I think. The E reg Scania 93M I did my C+E test in was 18000kg MGW and only 20500kg GTW, whereas the 54 plate DAF 85.310 rigids I drove for Spectrum in Leeds had a plated GTW of 40000kg.

Never driven a 4 wheeler tipper so I can’t help on an example of that type.

Paul

Theres a company in the birmingham area paul called mcmahon developments and they run a very similar set up as what youve explained, to be honest when i first saw there wagon and drag i thought thats got to be illegal, but maybe not it seems, they have a 4 wheeler scania tipper pulling,i think it was a tri-axle plant trailer,with a komatsu machine,either a 130 or a 210, cant remember which,either way it would weight at least 13 tonne if it was a 130.
ive been in muckshifting for about 6 years and id be thinking about the 6 wheeler route,at least if work goes quiet,which it is at the minute,you can hire yourself out to other muckshift companys or aggregate suppliers,just a thought,as theres not much call for 4 wheeler tippers from what ive seen,also when its wet you’d be very suprised how little spoil there actually is for the weight, also have you thought about a 6 wheeler roll on roll off, that way you could do away with the need of a trailer,simply drop the body,load the machine into the back and lift it back on

forgot to say as far aas the waste transfer licence, if you go the big landfills such as biffa then they will want a lincence presenting, but once you see there prices you wont be goin there,plus alot of them wont take normal spoil,only contaminated spoil, theres always some kind of tip in most places though,such as fish ponds bein filled in,golf courses being made or just general land owners lookin to make big money fast for doin nothing but own a dozer,phone any muckshift company in your area and ask what tips they use and how much it is per load, the tip we were using used to do cash deals for smaller lorries and on account for 6-8 wheelers, and your lookin at anything from 35-60 per load,thats on an 8 wheeler basis though,good luck anyway,hope things pick up soon else i might be forced to look for something else because this weathers stoppin all the jobs and tips from running

It is a big thing in Belgium, an owner driver turns up with a tipper carrying a caterpillar dozer or an excavator on a trailer and works his little socks off

gav:
forgot to say as far aas the waste transfer licence, if you go the big landfills such as biffa then they will want a lincence presenting, but once you see there prices you wont be goin there,plus alot of them wont take normal spoil,only contaminated spoil, theres always some kind of tip in most places though,such as fish ponds bein filled in,golf courses being made or just general land owners lookin to make big money fast for doin nothing but own a dozer,phone any muckshift company in your area and ask what tips they use and how much it is per load, the tip we were using used to do cash deals for smaller lorries and on account for 6-8 wheelers, and your lookin at anything from 35-60 per load,thats on an 8 wheeler basis though,good luck anyway,hope things pick up soon else i might be forced to look for something else because this weathers stoppin all the jobs and tips from running

thanks for the info gav, a quick bit of reseach has revealed a non hazardous waste carriers license just requires a few forms filling out and a cheque for 140 quid, it’s not so much for the tips but more for the companies we’ll be subbing to, who’ll want everything done to the letter.
i already know all the local landfills in my area so tipping at the right money isn’t a problem. the idea of the four wheeler is 1. they’re a far bit cheaper than a six because no one wants them i guess 2. in terms of agregates and cony a 12t payload is enough, limited for spoil i agree but locally we’d prob never be more than three or four mile from a tip so not the end of the world to make a couple of extra runs a day if there was plenty to shift but really for use on smaller jobs where there might be 40-50t over a couple of days to dig out and get rid of, baring in mnd i share a yard with four six wheelers and two eight leggers i can call on if needs be.

sounds an interesting venture paul, thought i hadnt seen your yellow merc flying around oldbury just lately,just before xmas i was seeing you most days around by lowes transport on powke lane,we had a big muckshift job over that way,before xmas we had 5 tips we could use around birmingham and within 3 weeks every single one has either been closed by the council due to the state of the road or for other reasons been shut down,we havnt got a tip now and muckshifting in brum is at an all time low,theres plenty of work,just no where to tip so alot of lorries are parked up at the minute,the bloke i work for runs 14 8 wheelers and has a strong name in birmingham with regards muckshifting and very very rarely has to park any wagons up but last week was dire and had a good few parked up purely because theres no tips open and the customers wont pay extra to run to a further tip, i wish i had a big hole in the ground thats all i can say

i was running scrap bails out of brookes back to rotherham corus as a daily backload but it was never going to pay enough to warrant the damage to the trailer or the waiting time involved.
one thing about this area is it’s full of old stone quarries that have now become landfills/reclaimation sites infact one has just opened on a bog standard yard, crushing and screening everything that comes through the gate which works i spose if you’ve got someone to take the recycled products as quick as you turn em out.
all we’ve got to do now is find an old quarry that nobody knows about and rent it for a few hundred quid a week :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
It is a big thing in Belgium, an owner driver turns up with a tipper carrying a caterpillar dozer or an excavator on a trailer and works his little socks off

Was gonna say, I’ve seen this kinda set up in Germany quite a bit too.

Seems to make a lot of sense to me, rather than having plant moved seperately on a beavertail or low loader.

There’s a firm in Diss I know of that do it as well.