Any wagon + drag tipper drivers on here?

the boss asked me today if i wanted my new tipper truck to be a 6 wheeler + drag. it is replacing our 10 year old scania 6 wheeler that has done us proud. we need the 6 wheeler to get into tight spaces and he thinks a drag would be good for doing larger tips.

anyone on here had / have experiance of these? general use and anything to look out for.

probably having a volvo FMX to match the 8 wheeler we’ve just got.

As long as the drag is fixed wheels and doesn’t have a steering axle then its a piece of ■■■■ to drive and reverse, the drag follows the rigid almost on the same line. Sometimes you might have to leave it in laybys so just be carefull where you leave it because you don’t want some doughnut parking in front of it . But I’ve always found them easy to manoeuvre.

i’ve never been afraid of asking a stupid question so here goes.

can / do you tip with the trailer attached?

mucker85:

no,you can’t mate,you’d tip it all over your trailer/towing hitch :wink:

is your boss gettin one with a rear steer,they make life a lot easier in tight spaces as well,mine had & it was really good,it was a rear lift axle as well as the rear steer
i did 6 wheeler wagon & drag doing roll on/off skips & there a dead easy to drive around.
it’ll just be getting into the habit of doing things before you take the skips off to tip,i used to let the air out of the suspension so all the weight was on the trailer legs,this stopped the trailer tipping as you lifted the skips off.
there’s a few pics here of what i used to drive,i never got any of the 6 wheeler i had.
facebook.com/media/set/fbx/? … 7f0311770e

mucker85:

you can if you jack knife it

ask him for another scania-ive just got a new fmx and i’d swap it for an equivalent spec scania any day.

roadtransport.com/blogs/big- … rag-t.html

mucker85:

Lad locally has got one, he can tip without unhitching but you obviously need a bit more room!

thanks for the replys, the big lorry blog pictures helped.

I’ve seen a youtube vid of a wag & drag tipping and spreading both without unhitching. Presumably with some shield arrangement over the drawbar.

truck & dog

This is how it’s done,

Could always get one like this :smiley:

youtu.be/_z1eoc8gp8o

Grayham:
Could always get one like this :smiley:

youtu.be/_z1eoc8gp8o

Neat, although not what I expected. I thought he was going to jack it quick and tip alongside the first heap.

the truck and dog nice piece o reversing,its a bit easier way a b-train with a side tip on front trailor.
jimmy.

8wheels:
I’ve seen a youtube vid of a wag & drag tipping and spreading both without unhitching. Presumably with some shield arrangement over the drawbar.

When you mention “spreading” do you mean a tarmac road paver machine :question:
How does the prime mover with the tipper dump into the spreader with the trailer still hooked up :question: :confused:

Would say you need PLENTY of room and hard standing on site for a wag+drag tipper outfit :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing:

Big Truck:

8wheels:

When you mention “spreading” do you mean a tarmac road paver machine :question:
How does the prime mover with the tipper dump into the spreader with the trailer still hooked up :question: :confused:

Would say you need PLENTY of room and hard standing on site for a wag+drag tipper outfit :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing:

By “spreading” I mean tipping it out evenly rather than two great lumps. ie start tipping the prime mover and then slowly moving forward, when that’s empty the trailer gets tipped in the same way. Obviously only useful in certain situations where laying down crushed for a hard stand or haul road or similar.