8 wheel tipper

Hi all, had my class 2 for couple of years now but not been driving nag LGVs for last year. The last wagon I drove was auto!!! Now ive applied for a job to drive a 8 wheel tipper. The boss who seems a lovely guy has asked me to go in and have a drive of the wagon he knows I’ve never driven one before. Now I am beyond excited about it, But I’m bloody terrified as well. And this is such a big opportunity for me. So really want it to go well.
So I’m after ANY advice/input people have to aid me along? Even to point of gear usage as I’ve been told it’s a different game in them? And last wagon was fully auto so not used LGV manual box for at least 2 years!!!

Hope I’m not being to cheeky but really want this job.

Most sincere thanks in advance

Bazza.

Do you know what type of box it has in it for a start?

Tippers are quite short compared to other rigids so that is a bonus, 8 wheelers want a little extra room to get round though, all those tyres on the ground make for a greater turning radius. It’s more an issue when manoeuvring in and out of tight spots.

Ah I don’t know what type of box I’m afraid. Think box is me biggest worry. As I said last thing I drove I switched it to D and off we went. Which was nice at time but now a nightmare.

Was sat next to one earlier and thought seems wee bit shorter which is a brucey. So there turning circle is bigger then?

Thanks guys.

if its a scaina it will have the turning circle of a small country :smiley: i drive a tipper so if u need any questions awnsering feel free to ask

Chewyboy:
if its a scaina it will have the turning circle of a small country :smiley: i drive a tipper so if u need any questions awnsering feel free to ask

Hahaha now are we talking Wales or more sort of Monaco size hahaha.

I think it’s a DAF but not 100% sure. Think biggest concern is gear selections. Like pulling away gear empty and full? Thank you very much sir. There might be couple more yet :slight_smile: :slight_smile:.

I can’t see why you’d have a problem, i’m sure the company will have alot more respect for you if you are honest and say your not sure about using the box and you’d like them to show you. At the end of the day the gears are the easy bit when it comes to driving a lorry, i think anyway.

Saaamon:
I can’t see why you’d have a problem, i’m sure the company will have alot more respect for you if you are honest and say your not sure about using the box and you’d like them to show you. At the end of the day the gears are the easy bit when it comes to driving a lorry, i think anyway.

That’s a fair point. He asked me on the phone if id driven a tipper. And when I said no he said it was nice to hear someone being open and honest with him as few people try to blag it.

It’s bloody exciting (and terrifying as well) I know that much.
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I think you’ll do just fine, he obvously likes you so thats half the battle. When you going for the drive anyway?

Saaamon:
I think you’ll do just fine, he obvously likes you so thats half the battle. When you going for the drive anyway?

Thanks mate that’s bloody nice of ya. He not meet me yet so bet that will change hahaha. End of week I believe he is the boss so a busy old boy. Grateful to even have been given the chance really. Would love to spend me days driving that.

bazdub:

Saaamon:

Thanks mate that’s bloody nice of ya. He not meet me yet so bet that will change hahaha. End of week I believe he is the boss so a busy old boy. Grateful to even have been given the chance really. Would love to spend me days driving that.

Just let the fella know you’ve been driving autos and you might need a wee bit of time to settle in. If he takes you out in a loaded truck make sure you start off in first!

I’ve never driven a tipper but have drove a 8 wheel tanker and the ony differance was the turning curve on it,did not turn as good but once i got used to it no probs,also with the gear box once you have had a practice with it it becomes 2nd nature,so bear with it and it will be fine.

Thanks gents. Really grateful to everyone. Have mentioned to him on phone only really been driving autos. He sounded like a really nice guy so fingers crossed hey!!!

What a great forum this is, such nice people. Well hopefully I’ll be out with ya all soon in me 8 wheeler!!!

u can normally pull away in 3 loaded unless your on a well steep inclince also if its a daf beware bits will fall off and keep your eye on both rear axles wheel nut they have a tendancy to come loose not as i found out the hard way :smiley:

Chewyboy:
u can normally pull away in 3 loaded unless your on a well steep inclince also if its a daf beware bits will fall off and keep your eye on both rear axles wheel nut they have a tendancy to come loose not as i found out the hard way :smiley:

Oooops that sounds naughty!!!

Ah ha 3rd loaded lovely job think its gonna be empty when I drive it as it doesn’t go out on day we using it I think. At risk o sounding even more stupid, you say 3rd loaded. What ya think empty?
Thank you

Depends on how many gears in the box.

It doesn’t hurt to ask that question, but I always used 2nd (loaded) or 3rd (empty) on a 420 Volvo Beavertail with a 4 over 4 gearbox. I’m on a aging 340 Scania 6 wheeler and it’s 2nd regardless at the moment so it’s a matter of vehicle/engine/gearbox and drivinng style.

They know your lack of experience but the best approach is to ask what they’d recommend, I’m sure they’d rather that than you shag the clutch out in the first few days.

bazdub:

Chewyboy:

Ah ha 3rd loaded lovely job think its gonna be empty when I drive it as it doesn’t go out on day we using it I think. At risk o sounding even more stupid, you say 3rd loaded. What ya think empty?
Thank you

if empty i pull away in 4 then skip to 6 simple once u have been driving it a couple of hours and have the feel of it u should be able to tell what it will happy pulling away in mate :smiley:

8wheels:
Depends on how many gears in the box.

It doesn’t hurt to ask that question, but I always used 2nd (loaded) or 3rd (empty) on a 420 Volvo Beavertail with a 4 over 4 gearbox. I’m on a aging 340 Scania 6 wheeler and it’s 2nd regardless at the moment so it’s a matter of vehicle/engine/gearbox and drivinng style.

They know your lack of experience but the best approach is to ask what they’d recommend, I’m sure they’d rather that than you shag the clutch out in the first few days.

the 340 8 wheel scania tippers r gutless as

The 340 in my beavertail is not that lively either.

Although it’s a bit better than the 310 8 wheeler twin skip wagon that I had for a while, that really did lumber along although no more so on the day when it rolled across the bridge at 37500Kg than when it was at 32t. :unamused:

bazdub:

Chewyboy:

Thank you

3rd loaded IS naughty! 3rd empty would be acceptable to me, the boss might have other ideas. You will see stickers in trucks informing you to take off in 1st, empty or loaded. And this post has reminded me there was a period 2-3 years ago when it looked like large firms were going down the road of speccing clutch saving devices that wouldn’t let you take off in anything but 1st. That seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Chewyboy, pick up your cards!