tippers

my gaffa is after a new contract and is looking at different combinations for one vehicle ,carrying anything from 6t to 24t,artic with bulker or 8 wheel skip loader with trailer,what are you lads using for your bulk work and what kind of fuel figures are you getting, any feedback would be really appreciated

Really depends on the work, the terrain,how often etc. We did tipper work not long ago, the distance work was getting between 8 and 9mpg, the local work was struggling to get 5mpg. That was with R420 artics running at 44t.

thanks for your reply , the job will be 3 hours straight drive onto norfolk. then run around 8/10 farms collectingthen three hours back could be 6t or 24t or anything in between, but ive told himto work on worse case ie fully loaded and if he gets better consumption its a bonus .we argueing which motor ,i lean towards volvo with the i shift 440/480

six wheeler with a tipping trailer,
6t to 26t payload ?
you look at it from max load ,
id phone ahead see what theyve got for me pre run an take it from there.
a 480 volvo for 6ts dream on.

Running around 10 farms on narrow country roads is going to slaughter your economy. 6T? hmm better get the 700hp volvo for that, don’t think the 480 will do :laughing:

Steve-o:
Running around 10 farms on narrow country roads is going to slaughter your economy. 6T? hmm better get the 700hp volvo for that, don’t think the 480 will do :laughing:

700hp ok but Has it got I shift :smiley:
cant do the job with out it.?

wish id had a zb thick boss at some point. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

best combination would be i know it s hated but a daf cf superspace with a fruehauf trailer would allow for upto 30ton payload legal and with the auto you would get good fuel return.

steve07:
best combination would be i know it s hated but a daf cf superspace with a fruehauf trailer would allow for upto 30ton payload legal and with the auto you would get good fuel return.

Have to agree.

steve07:

Get the mini lift and alis all round and you’ll be guaranteed the 30t. A Scania 420 with mini lift will come close too I think.

If it’s out of farms, unless it’s something a bit different like linseed? You will be fully freighted most of the time (The Farmer will probably be charged for a minimum of 27t whatever you have on, unless by special arrangement)

renaultman:
If it’s out of farms, unless it’s something a bit different like linseed? You will be fully freighted most of the time (The Farmer will probably be charged for a minimum of 27t whatever you have on, unless by special arrangement)

I have a funny feeling from the OP and the talk of skiploaders, multidrop and varying quantities that this is some kind of waste collecting and processing operation and not the usual run of the mill bulk transport.

I wonder if truckerone would care to enlighten us as to the nature of the goods being carried?

Paul

Id go for a manual, and something with a card tacho. Norfolk is only made for the horse n cart. Auto and a digi in some areas you ll use your driving time getting into the yard. Also if you get stuck(and you will) manual and a diff lock every time!!

repton:

renaultman:

I have a funny feeling from the OP and the talk of skiploaders, multidrop and varying quantities that this is some kind of waste collecting and processing operation and not the usual run of the mill bulk transport.

I wonder if truckerone would care to enlighten us as to the nature of the goods being carried?

Paul

Good point Paul
Was thinking on the lines of; Meeting with merchant. 'We have loads of stuff to collect the loads can be between 2 and 30 tonnes. We have done it before with Linseed and some other ‘fashion crop’ The name eludes me now, I once got involved in the nationwide movement of it, it all went to Grimsby. Was ‘interesting’

carcasses so no tacho needed ,and wont know how much weight till we arrive at the farm,depends on the age of the meat,the size of the farm,

Just have a look at what most tipper firms are operating in your area, around Basingstoke it seems to be DAF CFs, Volvo FMs, MAN with the odd Scania thrown in

truckerone:
carcasses so no tacho needed ,and wont know how much weight till we arrive at the farm,depends on the age of the meat,the size of the farm,

You’ll probably need some kind of self loading system then. Don’t envy you that job

its all loaded for us,the majority of work will be the travelling to and from norfolk, but whilst down that way it will be up and down the gear box.