Payload

Hey guy’s, what is the best 8x4 tipper out there at the moment, will no thrills just a great payload in mind say from 2005 onwards?

being biased ,the DAF CF 85 is a good shout

Or the last Alpha

What are you tipping? Aggregates or concrete?

Yea the old man has an 85cf grab not a bad wagon, I guess without the grab and a steel body she will take 20ton that sound about right? Never thought of the foden,would be mainly aggregates and muck away.

Our Volvo fm on a 61 plate is 13100 empty that’s got a Thompson steel body though.

Scania and Volvo are the market leaders in this part of the country. The main thing to look for is where the nearest agent/dealer for whatever make yo buy is located,also their customer service and backup.

Just over 20T on a 2005 CF85.340. No bling, aggregate tipper body.

Round here theres not a lot between Volvo, Scania or DAF. Just depends on prefrence.

The Volvo FM with a steel body I had would take 19.8, another local firm runs scanias with alloy bodies and they take just over 20 ton. The six wheel scania with alloy body I had would take 16 ton.

Doubt there’s much between daf Volvo or scania. I have a couple off mates who drive hinos I don’t like the look off them personally but they rate them cheap and cheerful I wonder if there payload would be any better there’s not a lot to them only problem there would be the dealer network few and far between I think.

Unless you intend to run asphalt, I wouldn’t bother with an alloy body. Yes an alloy carries 20-20.5 tonnes (used to be 21 and over) but I’d go for a lightweight steel like a Charlton Groundhog Superlite and get around 19.5, and have the strength to backload muck and rubble. 20t one way with alloy, or 19t one way with aggregate and a backload of rubble.
My current motor is a great tipper, Man 35-400 with steel Thompson Muckmaster. Carries 18.8ish but Man now do a lighter 32-400 ( see this months Trucking).
Scania are quite light, Earthline get 19.5 on their Thompson bodied daycabs.
Volvo FMX would be my choice if they gave me a say in a new motor, with MAN second choice.

Reno lander 8x4, aluminium aggregate body, full tank of adblue,1/4 tank of diesel and of course an overweight driver tare 11.06. That’s on a Tarmac legit wieghbridge !

A new Scania eight legger with an insulated body and easy sheet etc tared in at 11.12.

Muckaway:
Unless you intend to run asphalt, I wouldn’t bother with an alloy body. Yes an alloy carries 20-20.5 tonnes (used to be 21 and over) but I’d go for a lightweight steel like a Charlton Groundhog Superlite and get around 19.5, and have the strength to backload muck and rubble. 20t one way with alloy, or 19t one way with aggregate and a backload of rubble.
My current motor is a great tipper, Man 35-400 with steel Thompson Muckmaster. Carries 18.8ish but Man now do a lighter 32-400 ( see this months Trucking).
Volvo FMX would be my choice if they gave me a say in a new motor, with MAN second choice.

Depending on where you are, there’s no point bothering if you can’t do Tarmac anymore. Certainly round here stone Bearly brakes even, it’s the tarmac that pays well.

dew:

Muckaway:

Depending on where you are, there’s no point bothering if you can’t do Tarmac anymore. Certainly round here stone Bearly brakes even, it’s the tarmac that pays well.

I quite agree, mr muckaway seems to think everyone lives nr a large town or city, the fact is most quarry workings are out in the sticks!
the other thing is many of these quarries are now shut since Lafarge took over tarmac!

One load of black = two loads of stone (or 5 loads of sand/gravel) unless dry rates have drastically changed for the better in the past years! :wink:

Pete.

windrush:
One load of black = two loads of stone (or 5 loads of sand/gravel) unless dry rates have drastically changed for the better in the past years! :wink:

Pete.

The black stuff pay rate is by far the best these days Pete. If it wasn’t for the nightwork doing some of that,a lot would jack it in. Quite a few already have this way.
Cheers Dave.

windrush:

Pete.

It’s well up that way round here as well. I seriously doubt you could make the repayments on a new 90-100k truck (Seriously to new Bardon Spec! :open_mouth: ) on dry alone, or you’d be having to push every boundary to make it happen.

The lady OD around here who ran a K reg Foden 3000 has now bought an M reg 4325 with alloy Wilcox body. Gets 21t apparently. Looks a nice motor too.
Someone mentioned Hino, steel bodied ones around here can take around 19-19.5 although I’ve seen alloy ones with 20t and above weight plates on them.
Mentioning blacktop, we’ve only got Hanson Sutton Courtenay and LaFarge at Banbury producing around here. I have noticed a few hauliers in the Aylesbury area (Kane Haulage and Clark Contracting come to mind) who have ply-lined alloy bodies, built low to muck spec. Surely ply lining negates the lightness of alloy, and makes stuff stick?

Muckaway:
The lady OD around here who ran a K reg Foden 3000 has now bought an M reg 4325 with alloy Wilcox body. Gets 21t apparently. Looks a nice motor too.
Someone mentioned Hino, steel bodied ones around here can take around 19-19.5 although I’ve seen alloy ones with 20t and above weight plates on them.
Mentioning blacktop, we’ve only got Hanson Sutton Courtenay and LaFarge at Banbury producing around here. I have noticed a few hauliers in the Aylesbury area (Kane Haulage and Clark Contracting come to mind) who have ply-lined alloy bodies, built low to muck spec. Surely ply lining negates the lightness of alloy, and makes stuff stick?

Clark Contracting only have ply on the tailgate, they have alloy bodies to carry 20ton, 11.700 approx tare weight. They good because if i haven’t got any work they have me drive theirs so i can still earn something.