Payload

windrush:
One load of black = two loads of stone (or 5 loads of sand/gravel) unless dry rates have drastically changed for the better in the past years! :wink:

Pete.

There is a difference in favour of tar but it’s not that much. Usually around £1-1.30 on top of the dry rate in my experience, so £20-25 with an 8x4. Sometimes you’ll win, sometimes not. Especially if you have a long wait to load and a quick tip on site.

Where there is a big advantage on the tar is barrow work through the chutes, where you’ll earn £30/hr (approx.) from the time you arrive on site or a long wait for the paver (£25/hr after 0.5-1 hours wait). You just have to try and forget that the quarry will be charging the customer £60-90/hr for you sitting there. :unamused: :imp:

Dry rates are still shizer though, particularly the ‘special rates’ for the regular jobs :unamused: .

Agreed there Hammer, what I meant to convey was that you are often better off sitting around for an hour or two with black than putting a load of fuel through the pipes chasing stone! My last gaffers favourite saying was “It’s not how much work that you do, it’s how much it costs me in fuel etc for you to do it” and I understood what he meant. When I finished 11 years ago the coated rate was about 80p per tonne higher than dry and daywork was £19 per hour, I was quite content to sit with a gang all day if requested but other lads couldn’t hack it and preffered to keep their wheels rolling. Possibly my truck paid better, little fuel used and not much wear and tear on the truck, though my wage was probably less?

I dont know how muckshifting pays, I thought that at one time the truck was hired per day and the number of loads carried made no difference to the money paid, no doubt these days it is paid per load?

Pete.

I think around here (it was on Smiths) aggregates are tonnes per mile and muck/haulage are per load. I remember one subbie Smiths used had a great payload but would refuse muck and rubble work because of his alloy body. He was returning empty after delivering 21t, whereas subbie 2 delivered 19t and then collected muck. This probably wasn’t 19t as muck firms use shallow bodies but he would’ve got 8wheeler rate whatever it was.

I could never work out how anyone could make money running out of quarries.you could make a wage yes,but if you had a driver on,then you make nothing.fools paradise.

shirtbox2003:
I could never work out how anyone could make money running out of quarries.you could make a wage yes,but if you had a driver on,then you make nothing.fools paradise.

Ah but years ago it WAS a decent job, especially when the quarries ran their own trucks and the rates for hired haulage was good. Trucks were replaced by the hired hauliers regularly for new ones, then the quarries sold their transport and it became ‘open season’ for rate cutting and return loads at abismal rates so it all fell apart I’m afraid.

Pete.

Are inter company deliveries still on a reduced rate? Hanson sand to Hanson premix was always less than delivering to customers.

Muckaway:
Are inter company deliveries still on a reduced rate? Hanson sand to Hanson premix was always less than delivering to customers.

Certainly were in ‘my day’ Nathan, in fact the hired haulier’s would not touch them as a rule. I was once asked (by a major quarrying firm starting with R and ending with C, 3 letter’s :wink: ) to take four tonnes of road planings from their depot in Sheffield to a yard in Nottingham, the rate they quoted was £2.50 per tonne and they wouldn’t pay 15 tonne rate on it but only for what I actually carried. That would make £10 for a 40+ mile round trip, plus getting to Sheffield from Matlock, when I refused they asked me if I really wanted to work! :unamused:
We had a lot of fixed plant jobs, mainly concrete works such as Bison flooring or Marshall Mono, that were cut rate but nobody got rich running to them, apart from the quarry of course. Can’t imagine that thing have changed much.

Pete.

I have considered replying to this for some time and after 20 years experience I think I will leave you to it. 1 load equals. What a load of nonsense.

Tarmac duck:
I have considered replying to this for some time and after 20 years experience I think I will leave you to it. 1 load equals. What a load of nonsense.

Please elaborate. …

Tarmac duck:

I worked with a bloke driving 360 track machines a while ago he also had many years experience, more than 20, anyway the way he went about the job you would think he had only been at the job 3 weeks!

And your point Moose is ? Anybody who has succesfully been making a living doing whatever for 20 years I suggest has a fair idea of what’s what.

that’s a fair point, whilst my mate the digger driver wernt much use he did make a good living, he did watch the £ and he was not short of a bob or two!
these days the job has changed a lot as a carpet fitter with a cpc and lgv cold set up as an o/d on contract with the likes of Lafarge/tarmac and deliver product to site without to many problems, the days of having to find your own work and have the ability to maintain your own vehicle and set your own rates have long gone and made the job easier to get in to for anyone that wants to run a tipper out of many quarries
I drive a tarmac 8 legger on night’s quite often in fact last night I took a load from caulden low and before I set off I knew how much they would pay, how old and what colour the truck had to be, who it had to be insured with, what time I should load, what I should wear, how I should be trained.
the only thing I had to think about myself was when to go for a dump and how to get from the a466 to balsall common!