6 Wheeler Tipper Recommendations

My boss is looking to replace our 02 reg 6w Daf CF 310 tipper. It has an alloy “muck spec” body which gives a payload of (by todays’ standards) a generous 16.2t. Any recommendations greatly appreciated. I think Daf are the front runners, but I think the Volvo FE might work well with it’s narrow cab (the FMX seems too heavy).

DAF is the best bet most of the 6 wheelers I see around are DAF’s plus a few Mercs the problem is all of the Euro 6’s have put on a bit of weight! used to get 17.20 on a Reiver 24t now I struggle to get 19t on a FM400( Euro 4) at 32 tonnes with a lightweight steel body,we used to get 20t on Leylands & Scammells at 30 tonnes oh and IIRC around 19t/20t on a Scammell 28t with an ali body,btw hope the job works out OK we still need guys who can muck in and do a bit of everything,drive machines a bit maintenance as and when(we can’t all drive frilly curtain pimpmobiles and max out the hours or sleep in stinky laybys) :wink:

I noticed that the 2 Daf CF 8wheelers that Smiths have on self drive hire (Euro 6) carry only 18.6ish with muck bodies on. I used to get 18.7 on a Foden 4300 at 30.400 gross.

You don’t want an FE, they are so cheaply made its unreal. Keep fit windows, terrible seats and no kit whatsoever. There’s one works alongside our CF and its like an overgrown sooty van.

A CF would be our choice, possible 2nd being a P cab Scania

I think Daf and Scania are the front runners Dew. Mercedes seem too tall and heavy now the Axor has been replaced with the Arocs. The Volvo FMX looks a good truck but it’ll be way too heavy with a steel body (boss has said he wont buy another aluminium as we mostly do stuff by the load, except part loads so payload isn’t such a concern).
I think an 11 or 12m3 Charlton Superlite is the best body. Not sure if having an auto tailgate adds much tare weight though.
Will probably be a road chassis rather than a “construction spec” one too.

The fmx is heavy we have just put an fmx 6x4 tractor unit on the roadcand its heavier than my 6x4 fh12 which is plated for 80ton

Only thing if its not a construction spec is to make sure it’s got all the gear you need, cross locks and so on. Not sure if the road trucks would get kit like that

Muckaway:
I noticed that the 2 Daf CF 8wheelers that Smiths have on self drive hire (Euro 6) carry only 18.6ish with muck bodies on. I used to get 18.7 on a Foden 4300 at 30.400 gross.

18.6 that sounds pretty poor I thought the DAF CF usually have a good payload. Anyone know how much the Arocs can take with a steel body?

The Scania and Volvo are a much better lorry than a Daf when it comes to tippers. I have mates tat have Daf’s and have regretted buying them.

Mullens:

Muckaway:

18.6 that sounds pretty poor I thought the DAF CF usually have a good payload. Anyone know how much the Arocs can take with a steel body?

About the same, Mullens. The Arocs is the heaviest (or so I’ve heard). Smiths have some 8wheel FMXs and they can take 19t. They’ve put smaller bodies on though to increase payload (they used to buy 18m3 but I reckon they’re now 15m3) and these bodies are Charlton/Thompson Superlites (my old Alpha had one and could carry 15.7 as opposed to 14.5 on their FMX) I’ve suggested to my boss that a 11m3 Superlite would be my choice of 6wheeler body*. We have a Thompson Muckmaster with auto tailgate on our 8wheeler and that can carry 19.2. The CFs Smiths have on hire have Boweld heavy duty bodies on, but I reckon you could get 19t on with the right steel body.
*After watching muck come out of an alloy body like a giant turd yesterday, I’m not keen on another alloy body. :wink:

Why would you want a 6 wheeler? Find an old Foden 8 legger and spend a few bob on it.

shirtbox2003:
Why would you want a 6 wheeler? Find an old Foden 8 legger and spend a few bob on it.

We have an 8wheeler (CF 360) and so do all the other firms nearby. The 6wheeler gets more work because of this, as we do a lot of our own work for small building firms which the big firms aren’t interested in. There are also a lot of grab firms around so there’s no point going that way. When the 6wheeler was bought, it did a lot of quarry haulage hence the alloy body. Rates are crap now so we do our own jobs (mostly muck and topsoil haulage, not great on an old alloy floor).
The CF construction range looks interesting though.

have you looked at the new renault K series? there a good motor,we have 3 44 ton drawbar 6 wheel tippers running for us & there working well.they’ve returned about 8.5mpg at 44ton & have no reliability issues at all so far,nice cab,good engine

renault-trucks.co.uk/k-380-520/

could be worth a look

shirtbox2003:

Take off the rose tinted glasses and join 2014 already ffs.

If Foden were that good they’d still be making them…

dew:

shirtbox2003:

There was nothing wrong with the Alphas (except the doors were awful to keep clean in comparison to the CF) it was just Cat and ■■■■■■■ wouldn’t spend out developing Euro 4 engines. My heart says “secondhand Alpha with 345 Cat” but I had mine new 10 years ago, now it’s Smiths occasional spare. They’ve still got my uncles’ 03 reg dumped in the yard, and has been for nearly a year. Not economic to replace the gearbox.
My head says CF, or Volvo FMX.
I have been very impressed with our CF 8wheeler. Only a 360 but pulls like a train.

dew:

shirtbox2003:

FFS with your vast experience of running a tipper fleet over many years maybe you could share with others the pitfalls of running a Foden against some of the modern offerings of 2014

Moose:

dew:

shirtbox2003:

FFS with your vast experience of running a tipper fleet over many years maybe you could share with others the pitfalls of running a Foden against some of the modern offerings of 2014

Not really, but I don’t see the point in running something outdated that’s only going to get worse. Everyone who looks back like Foden’s were gods gift really need to wake up and realise the times have moved on, big style. Old equipment will always be old equipment and will only let you down…

I have to disagree here old lorries kept in good order only let you down for the time it takes your self to mend it ,modern lorries you can’t do much your self with out a computer and sometimes parts to try due to parts failure that the computer can’t pick up on ,so the old foden that you drive your self is often good choice .

I drove an Alpha for 7 years and only once did I have a problem that prevented me from driving it back and that was a broken diff (punctures aside).
Drove an 06 reg Scania P420 8wheeler for about 3 months and had a diff go and a broken propshaft. Very nice to drive, powerful (over powered, really) and low tare, but worth the hefty price tag secondhand? Not totally convinced.
We’ve toyed with the idea of rebodying our 6wheeler. Is this a good idea? Weighing in an alloy body must be worth a bob or two?