Wanted advice from tipper owner operators

Hi everyone. Im after some advice.
Me and a friend are thinking about buying an old 4 axle tipper to lug some muck around at weekends just to try and make a bit of cash on the side.
I know its risky at the moment and it probably wont happen for a while. Im trying to find out how much you get paid per tonne or per load.
Thats the main question at the moment.
Any info would be appreciated. Like I said this is only a casual idea at the moment, just like to see if its worth it.
Thanks Ben

Bennyb:
Me and a friend are thinking about buying an old 4 axle tipper to lug some muck around at weekends just to try and make a bit of cash on the side.
I know its risky at the moment and it probably wont happen for a while. Im trying to find out how much you get paid per tonne or per load.
Any info would be appreciated. Like I said this is only a casual idea at the moment, just like to see if its worth it.
Thanks Ben

You`re wasting your time, you will need to spend a fair bit JUST to get started, what about the INSURANCE, ROAD TAX, “O” Licence, waste carriers licence, tipping costs, parking arrangments, cost of truck ect ect ect.

Then you have got to find the work, NON existant at the moment.

My mates a builder, and he has just had 200 tons moved from a basement clearance job, at rates which were SUICIDAL IMO, he started off paying cash to “hiab” drivers doing it on the side, then he got approached by bona fida companies who offered to do it cheaper, and NO fly tipping FFS.

Then a skip hire company came in, and did it for free, to keep their drivers occupied whilst it was QT FFS

No wonder he spent last friday night taking the ■■■■ out of “tipper” firms, I could`nt help but agree.

Bennyb:
Thanks Ben

You`re wasting your time, you will need to spend a fair bit JUST to get started, what about the INSURANCE, ROAD TAX, “O” Licence, waste carriers licence, tipping costs, parking arrangments, cost of truck ect ect ect.

Then you have got to find the work, NON existant at the moment.

My mates a builder, and he has just had 200 tons moved from a basement clearance job, at rates which were SUICIDAL IMO, he started off paying cash to “hiab” drivers doing it on the side, then he got approached by bona fida companies who offered to do it cheaper, and NO fly tipping FFS.

Then a skip hire company came in, and did it for free, to keep their drivers occupied whilst it was QT FFS

No wonder he spent last friday night taking the ■■■■ out of “tipper” firms, I could`nt help but agree.

Ive got an 8 wheeler sat in the yard that hasn’t turned a wheel in 6 weeks.
what work that is available (salt for roads etc) isn’t worth doing.
and most muck shifting is done in the week.

I say go for it, knock yourselof out! I’m only doing it part time (not through choice) and am making a absolute fortune. :unamused:

I’ve never heard such a ridiculous plan - ‘buying an old 8-legger and doing a jolly old bit of muckshifting at the weekends’. Priceless. :unamused: :open_mouth:

I’m on 8 legger grab with plant trailer and I can’t earn a bean doing foreigners now. The muckshifters do it cheaper than my £100 and for that I risk getting hung drawn and quartered And a word of advice don’t work for those pidgeon english speaking block pavers…YOU have been warned!!!

Thanks for the honest comments. No thanks for the sarcastics, if youve got nothing clever to say dont say anything. its not helpful.
Was just an idea me a friend had. We didnt know anything about rates etc.
Now we do. Doesnt look like this is gonna work out, will have to think of something else.