Idea of Wages on Tipper /Grab?

Hi There.

Finally bought 05 Daf 6 wheel Tipper / Grab which we will have on the road sometime in the next few weeks ,having it all "tarted " up at the moment.

Need to know from you boys what youd consider to be a good wage for an experienced operator with all the required tickets etc, he / ( she even) would have to be fit and muck in with the groundwork /yard gangs when Tipper not in use.

knowledge of pits /aggregates etc and be able to make work from jobs by being "on the ball "

Superb conditions all local work ,home by five pm , no tacho problems with driving hours, sweet hours!

Perhaps id better split the question into two;

1; How much for an experienced driver /operator who will do all the above and muck in and be happy with that; £ per hr?

2; How much for an experieced driver /operator who just wants to be a tipper /grab man only and stays with the lorry and wont muck in; £ per hr?

Look forward to your replies, should be a real nice job! yeah yeah youve heard it all before,so have i !

Trickyd

Where is the work located Tricky? and what work is it mate?

kenno78:
Where is the work located Tricky? and what work is it mate?

Lorry side;

Cambs and muck /waste away from our own jobs and other peoples muck ,waste, bulk bags deliveries ,bulk bag waste ( hippo waste type bags) away ,all aggregate deliveries, grabing up concrete then tipping ready for crushing, odd plant delivery ( drop sides)

Manual side;

Yard bagging up /groundworks no site work ,driveways mini diggers, concrete crushing etc etc etc.

Trickyd

be sure to make it enough to deter the fiddle jobs but not too much to skint yer…i’d be saying £100 a day plus bonus for good workmanship and no damage to truck…and forget the dropsides get em welded up…if its going on the truck lift it on…and put a tell tale on outriggers and legs see if he/she uses them…good luck with it anyhow

diggertony:
be sure to make it enough to deter the fiddle jobs but not too much to skint yer…i’d be saying £100 a day plus bonus for good workmanship and no damage to truck…and forget the dropsides get em welded up…if its going on the truck lift it on…and put a tell tale on outriggers and legs see if he/she uses them…good luck with it anyhow

:laughing: :laughing: the fiddle jobs’ :wink: yeah i would have to agree a oner a day seems a fair wage mate. Our lot ave just started a new grab driver
a couple a weeks ago, and are paying him £125 a day, but self employed. He has to keep the paving gangs supplied with slabs, sharp sand etc’
also has a set of those scissors with him at all times with quick release pin, and he’s flat out at the moment 7 day week with same wage for wknd too.
(although only working untill 2pm latest wknds)

Good luck Tricky.

probably be hard to get the driver to do ground work aswell, he might make the tea

:smiley: we have a 6 wheel grab truck amongst our fleet of waste/recycle fleet of vehicles i am a cover driver for the grab driver,ticketed and experienced with close to truck utility work,roads,streets ect this is where damage can be done to the lorry and fences,walls ,my hourly rate is 9.50 no matter what vehicle i drive, i have heard of of good grab drivers on utility work only on 16 to 17 quid hr ,if i had a this offer i know what i would do,simples… :smiley:

cat826:
:smiley: we have a 6 wheel grab truck amongst our fleet of waste/recycle fleet of vehicles i am a cover driver for the grab driver,ticketed and experienced with close to truck utility work,roads,streets ect this is where damage can be done to the lorry and fences,walls ,my hourly rate is 9.50 no matter what vehicle i drive, i have heard of of good grab drivers on utility work only on 16 to 17 quid hr ,if i had a this offer i know what i would do,simples… :smiley:

you may have heard about these fellas but they would be self employed and are usually gone after 3 months…all grab drivers will tell yer they earn the big money but they know they wont get anywhere near the digging sticks and get double :smiley: .

Many thanks for all your replies so far lads!

The grab lorry is just really another "Bolt on " side to our business if it works it does if it dont it dont! but im sure it will and anyway we pay approx £20 k to £25k to local business to hire a grab a year so its a no brainer really! Plus were always getting asked if we do grab lorry hire and have always passed that to another firm! Just on our own jobs the lorry and driver will pay for itself so if we can go out and do a bit of hire as well then thats all bonus!

Id like to think that the driver/ operator will be glued to that lorry and be busy enough not to have to groundwork /yard duties ,im sure after an initial period that will be the case.

We are trying hard here to diversify from just plant hire which is dire and in the last few years started to go into waste and recycling as well as plant and groundworks,weve been going for nearly 40 yrs well known around these parts so the grab lorry isnt just a whim!

Marvelous though innit just as we stick a HGV on the road diesel is the dearest its ever been ,we need to look at delivery pricing quite hard.

Thanks all

tricky

Keep the jobs seperate. Digging trenches and driving lorries do not mixed. The driver will be off with back problems. Good groundworkers have backs of steel if they have done it from teenagers and know how to use their knee and leg when shovelling. I would too weld the sides up when doing tarmac they will soon get jammed up. Many years ago but have done the job.

Load of tosh tricky… you were on here months ago stating you paid 140 a shift in chicken plucking country [ do a search] hgv drivers are ten a penny in the building game we all have streetworks and plant tickets and we all muck in be it digging, tarmac, plant transport, groundwork Seems to me you want a helicopter pilot as well, after your questions on grab lorrries, bodies ,clamshell buckets , crane you will be asking what type of grease to use next, give me a break…

mucksavaga:
Load of tosh tricky… you were on here months ago stating you paid 140 a shift in chicken plucking country [ do a search] hgv drivers are ten a penny in the building game we all have streetworks and plant tickets and we all muck in be it digging, tarmac, plant transport, groundwork Seems to me you want a helicopter pilot as well, after your questions on grab lorrries, bodies ,clamshell buckets , crane you will be asking what type of grease to use next, give me a break…

What type of grease do we use then mate ■■