Want to run my own tipper

HI all am looking for some advice on becoming an owner driver.(TIPPER)

I have been driving tippers for a couple of years now and really enjoy the job. I have spoke to some O/Ds about becoming an O/D and I get a mixed message, some say don’t do it stay in a job! and some say its what you make it some weeks are good some are bad. but you can make a good living out of the job

I would be going in to the muck shift and recycled side of it as there seems to be more money and more work in this side of the job from what I can work out (ie) quarry’s seem to be quiet at the mo .

am looking for some advice on start up costs ■■? and weather now is a good time to be planning on going on my own? or should i wait

thanks for your time and help chad

no offence mate but if you dont know how much its going to cost you to start up then you are no where near ready for doing it

here we go again 1st post wannabe :unamused:

Don’t know where your based but in London works busy but the rates ain’t great. Thing with tippers it helps if you don’t mind doing maintence and change tyres as these costs can add up.
Really your looking minimum 20k for a half decent motor. Minimum set of tyres per year you will know what you use in fuel.
I know 5 or 6 long term 20 plus year tipper od’s on this work not franchise for quarry’s who have thrown the towel in.

looking for help not sarcasm I have got a rough idea on costs / wagon 2nd hand. fuel, insurance, road tax, o licence, servicing etc. as I said looking for help.

I thought this was what this forum is for. im not a wanna be im serious!!!

thanks KR79 im in north wales m8

chad2197:
looking for help not sarcasm I have got a rough idea on costs / wagon 2nd hand. fuel, insurance, road tax, o licence, servicing etc. as I said looking for help.

I thought this was what this forum is for. im not a wanna be im serious!!!

Well go ask a profesional face to face because there’s some real wannabes on here and if you know your stuff and read the forums you would be asking a select few on here . But no offence your first post and your asking about ownin and runnin your own truck etc …

There was a guy on here from Wales who was an o/d with a tipper can’t remember who though.

You need 20 grand plus in the bank before you even start to think about I’d say.

kr79:
There was a guy on here from Wales who was an o/d with a tipper can’t remember who though.

hammer is the bloke from North Wales who used to run a six wheeler tipper.

You need to find your own work, I do a mixture of work some of my own where I supply aggregates,sand,crushed concrete etc & muckaway for small to medium sized builders who are known and trusted,but you have to be careful small builders go bankrupt very easily, bit like hauliers,I very seldom run empty,but having been around a quite few years know a lot people,I also sub a bit of work from the big boys as well, also have a mixer on contract with one of the major firms,some of the guys I know on contract “blacktop work” seem to be doing OK,(London/SE area) how far away from the big NW towns are you? there maybe more scope in those areas

Where abouts in north wales are you mate?

Thank you all for your comments am in the Chester area

chad2197:
Thank you all for your comments am in the Chester area

Don’t go into Chester after dark I belive it’s still legal to shoot a Welshman as long as a bow & arrow is used :laughing: (btw my wife is Welsh so I can take the ****)

You could ring Clwyd transport, they will supply you with an 8 wheeler, which you basically buy off them, but you will become their ■■■■■, and they will send you all over the UK, weeks away, etc, not bad if you like that sort of work.

As for muck shifting work around North Wales, it is all covered by D Morgan, Alan Skips, Mark Kynaston, O J Jones, etc, but you I am guessing you will already know that. The area is flooded with 8 wheelers, that’s why I sold mine 4 years ago.

Who are you currently working for?

How handy are you with the spanners? If you’re ok and can do 50% of the work yourself you’ll save a fortune. If you’re rubbish with the spanners budget anywhere from £6-10,000 per annum for your maintenance.

There are some big jobs coming off in your area (Runcorn bridge, Switch Island, Liverpool docks, Deeside Industrial Estate and others). However, what the rates will be like is anyone’s guess. :unamused:

jimmy2loads:
You could ring Clwyd transport, they will supply you with an 8 wheeler, which you basically buy off them, but you will become their ■■■■■, and they will send you all over the UK, weeks away, etc, not bad if you like that sort of work.

As for muck shifting work around North Wales, it is all covered by D Morgan, Alan Skips, Mark Kynaston, O J Jones, etc, but you I am guessing you will already know that. The area is flooded with 8 wheelers, that’s why I sold mine 4 years ago.

Who are you currently working for?

i work for one of them lol

I didn’t know Clwyd offered that ? thanks again for the help

hammer:
How handy are you with the spanners? If you’re ok and can do 50% of the work yourself you’ll save a fortune. If you’re rubbish with the spanners budget anywhere from £6-10,000 per annum for your maintenance.

There are some big jobs coming off in your area (Runcorn bridge, Switch Island, Liverpool docks, Deeside Industrial Estate and others). However, what the rates will be like is anyone’s guess. :unamused:

I am very good with the spanners i am time served mechanic
yes you are right there is meant to be a lot of work coming off all like you say + the super prison in Wrexham■■?

chad, you have a pm.