Owning a tipper?

Hi peeps.

A mate of mine is currently working for a firm on the tippers. Hes been talking to his boss who has basically said that he would sell him the truck if he wanted to go it alone. Hes been told he would still get work through the company etc as hes doing now but obviously will have to oversee the costs of the truck etc.
Realistically how much does it take to get started and is it worth it?
The truck is an 08 daf in good nick.
Hes due a massive payout from a work injury about a year ago and wants to do something worthwile and try and put it towards something proper then ■■■■ it away on cars etc.
Hes by no means daft and knows the risks but is it worth a shot??

Class2ldn:
Hi peeps.

A mate of mine is currently working for a firm on the tippers. Hes been talking to his boss who has basically said that he would sell him the truck if he wanted to go it alone. Hes been told he would still get work through the company etc as hes doing now but obviously will have to oversee the costs of the truck etc.
Realistically how much does it take to get started and is it worth it?
The truck is an 08 daf in good nick.
Hes due a massive payout from a work injury about a year ago and wants to do something worthwile and try and put it towards something proper then ■■■■ it away on cars etc.
Hes by no means daft and knows the risks but is it worth a shot??

Personally I wouldn’t do it. He’s taking all the risk to do the same work he’s doing now for the same firm. He’d have to be on a bloody good rate for it to pay. Why’s the gaffer offering to bin off the truck if it’s making him wedge

He reckons the problem is that after paying the wage hes not really making anything substantial on it.

Class2ldn:
He reckons the problem is that after paying the wage hes not really making anything substantial on it.

Well if he knows that then he knows whether he should go it alone then. The answer has to be no - what’s the point?

hammer:

Class2ldn:

Well if he knows that then he knows whether he should go it alone then. The answer has to be no - what’s the point?

As you know hammer, he is not going to be able to drive that tipper and then park it up each night. He then has paperwork maintenance and a load of others things to do.
Best thing for him to do,is invest his money in some property,even if he has to get another mortgage to help buy it.

Well the boss has said he can use the yard to park it up still amd also he knows all the fellas that do the maintenance mots etc on the lorries at the firm already. How much lorry costs aside do you reckon it would take to start it all up?

Is the bloke that sells him the lorry going to be taking a percentage for giving him the work ?
The rates are not good on tipper work, without someone taking a cut of your earnings.

If the boss recons theres not much after paying all the exes whats the point in your mate buying it.
Despite some of the veiws posted on here why become an o/d unless you can earn 25-30% more than as an employed driver. Especaly with a tipper as unless you want to be spending loads on maintence you realy need to do a bit of spannering greasing etc yourself.
Plenty of tipper work in London at the moment but the vast majoraty the rates aint worth it.

It really is surprising that there is any owner drivers left the job is so bad :wink:

Tarmac duck:
It really is surprising that there is any owner drivers left the job is so bad :wink:

SSSSSHHH, keep it a secret, we don’t want everybody doing it, do we? :wink:

Tarmac duck:

They are left because they can’t afford to finish .

Does that statement make sense Dan ?

Yes when a lot finish the vehicle and what they are owed wont cover the tax or difference between the vehicle value and repayments left so they are stuck .

Tarmac duck:
Does that statement make sense Dan ?

It makes perfect sense to me. If you’re in a situation where you’d lose everything if you packed up but are just barely making the minimums every week then you can’t afford to pack up

Ok I see your point. There probably is many in that position but I suggest it is still possible to make good living running a tipper.

Tarmac duck:
Ok I see your point. There probably is many in that position but I suggest it is still possible to make good living running a tipper.

If you’ve for decent local work. Can spanner it yourself and an control what work you do to a point then yes you’ll make a better living than if you’re just employed to drive someone else’s. However from my point of view risk vs reward it’s not worth the balls ache

Class2ldn:

This should answer your own question. ^^^^^
Basically your/ his boss will sell the truck and offload all costs/liabilities that are involved in operating this truck and will still make a few quid out of you/ him by taking a slice off the rate for the work he is giving you.
You in return will be doing the same work as now but with the increased pressures of running your own truck on subcontracted rates plus paperwork, maintainence, Vosa , and everyone else wanting a piece of you.
If your boss can’t make anything substantial out of it . . . . . . . . .

What would Spock say…

Silver_Surfer:
What would Spock say…

Quit staring at my ears ■■? :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

What’s the old saying…why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free.

Who was it that had to stump up the money for the injury claim ? Was’nt the same boss who’s offering to sell the truck is it ? :wink: