Tipper on 'mega' tyres

I don’t know if anyone on here ‘Likes’ the UK Trucking Mag Facebook page and looks through their photos from time to time (probably not, as it’s just a load of bloody trucks, have to sit in one all week, wouldn’t dream of looking at them online in my spare time etc etc etc blah blah blah :wink: :laughing: ), but they posted this the other day…

I was just wondering if anyone on here could shed some light on it, as the trailer looks to be running on ‘mega’ wheels & tyres, which I’ve never seen on a standard bulker before? The only reasons I could think of were maybe they have a loading point with restricted height (like an overhead hopper for example). I notice the trailer doesn’t have ‘hoops’ on the front or back to arc the sheet over, which would support this, but isn’t by any means a rare sight. Any other ideas, anyone work with/for Clarke’s? Cheers!

Never seen one like that myself in tippers, look like huge tyres though - 400mm wide easily?

Could well be to do with height, afaik Clarkes do a fair bit into Europe.

http://www.michelintransport.com/ple/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=45&lang=EN&codePage=45_12072007094432

Think its these tyres 455/45 R 22.5 160 J Interesting choice for tipper work, I put money on them being more expensive than a super single! I know Gist have some fridges with them fitted and they have started fitting the 19.5 or 17.5 Wide tyres on the double deckers instead of twin wheels!
Michelin were pushing them about 5 years ago but we don’t like change in this country! :wink:

IIRC they are a bit of a pain for trailer builders as you have to build the trailer on different axles to get the clearance on the chassis.

Iv seen timber truck draw bar outfits run these wheels / tyres. Maybe its something to do with the terrain ?

They seem to be the ones, olds’kool. Yeah I’ve seen them on tilts/euroliners etc, but never on a tipper. Although one advantage with a tipper is there’s plenty of room around the wheels to fit pretty much what you like! I just can’t see why, as like you say I’d imagine they’re a great deal more money.
Wouldn’t say it’d be to do with running Euro especially, as its nowhere near 4m. Possibly something to do with terrain, but i would say if it’s on regular tipper work and spends a lot of time on rough quarry/farm roads etc, id rather it chew up a set of standard super singles than these beasts! Strange…

I know they run metal around as they get loaded where i tip, wether or not they pull any other type of load i couldn’t tell you.

I think N S Clarke are probably the only firm running tipper trailers on this tyre size, they have quite a few. The type of work they do can often involve carrying glass, or scrap metal, which can result in a much higher than normal puncture rate.
It would be interesting to know the background to these trailers.

i used to have a container skelly which ran on those tyres, it was only a tandem mind so only 4 of things to worry about going bang, must have been a while ago as i had a J reg Scania at the time

I work for Shaun Clarke and the only reason he has these low profile wheels on is they are suppose to give more mileage than super singles but as our fitter says scrap goes through expensive michelins just the same as cheaper michelins,We are always in scrap yards and steel works and punctures are a nightmare,Shaun has just had a fair few new trailers and there not on these low profiles tyres so it looks like it more cost effective to run on super singles but you can’t knock him for trying ))

Stage Truck’s tractor units have either 315/70 R 22.5 tyres on steel suspended front steering axles and 315/60 R 22.5 tyres on air suspended front steering axles. I was informed that more weight could be carried by the unit and prevent axle overloading. Perhaps the wider tyres have been fitted on the bulk tipper for the same reason, to prevent axle overloading. Or, the vehicle is used abroad; the Actros appears to be a low-ride tractor unit…

I have the same motor at Clarkes and we do go abroad all the time but he does not have any low ride tractor units,The tyres are suppose to give better mileage that’s all,But they are more expensive when we get scrap steel in them so he’s gone back to mainly super singles on the new trailers

lumpygreenpoo:
Stage Truck’s tractor units have either 315/70 R 22.5 tyres on steel suspended front steering axles and 315/60 R 22.5 tyres on air suspended front steering axles. I was informed that more weight could be carried by the unit and prevent axle overloading.

Only if you get the unit replated to get a higher axle weight.
Otherwise, a 7 ton axle can only have 7 ton on it, no matter what tyres you fit.

Thanks beastie, I think you’ve answered the question!

I run 445/ 45/ 19.5 which is what they look like
They certainly don’t give better mileage and they are a bloody fortune cheapest i have found them for so far was just shy of £500 at an ats strangely enough, for a Michelin remix but was being quoted £700-£800 from a lot places

I guess that’s why seeing them on a tipper is such a rare sight!

And we had one bloke hit a kerb and knacker the tyres and bend the rims on all three,And he wondered why Clarky gave him a bo**ocking

beastie:
And we had one bloke hit a kerb and knacker the tyres and bend the rims on all three,And he wondered why Clarky gave him a bo**ocking

I think I’d have been giving him a P45 as well!

They are those michelin X wide super singles I think, they are supposed to be better on fuel and give a better footprint for stability.

460MC:
I run 445/ 45/ 19.5 which is what they look like
They certainly don’t give better mileage and they are a bloody fortune cheapest i have found them for so far was just shy of £500 at an ats strangely enough, for a Michelin remix but was being quoted £700-£800 from a lot places

Bring back good old twin wheels at £150 each. I shudder to think what the 22.5 super lows on luckings schmitz cost…