Thinking of changing career, right move?

Hi, newbie here :slight_smile:

I am currently thinking about training for my cat c, and possibly cat c+e after it.

I am a 26 yo male from kilmarnock, central scotland, and currently I am employed fulltime as a CCTV/Alarm engineer.I have been doing it for around 10 years now, and feel the time is right to start thinking about a new career.

I understand it is quite difficult to gain a fulltime job at the start, and would have to go through agencies, where I might only get 1-2 days aweek if that. I would be hopeing to stay in fulltime employment with my current job, and do agency work at the weekends, would this be possible?

Also does anyone have any tips or advice to help me get my foot in the door, and what is the likely average wage that I would be likely to receive after having passed for approx 1 year?

cheers,

Jordan

Stay where you are for now. Thousands of experienced truckers currently out of work so as a noob you stand no chance except perhaps getting all the crappy hard jobs that no-one else wants. Thatā€™s my advice fwiw.

Edit: typo

Rob K:
Stay where you are for now. Thousands of experienced truckers currently out of work so a noob you stand no chance except perhaps getting all the crappy hard jobs that no-one else wants. Thatā€™s my advice fwiw.

Quite true Rob as at least 1 haulier from the North East has gone this week :frowning:

If in that area expect to earn just above mim wage if that a bit further south from you here it is approx. Ā£6.5 for cat C Ā£7. CE p/h atm most agencies want at least 6 mth recent proven experience

But if you really want to do it wait till the boys from your area come on as there are a few

as most people are saying stay where you are! you have a sound job at the moment the security industry is booming! i myself am a security gaurd at the moment and i wanted to do driving! as said there is alot of experienced drivers out of work at the moment and despretatly looking!

im not saying dont do it im saying hold back! might be worth your while getting it and working weekends with the agencys they might put you into grahams plumbers or grahams dairys, try the postal services as well tnt & royal mail etc.

but i would stick full time with your company just now security is a booming business at the moment! i personally am working so many hours at the moment its unbelievable! but still i would research more into driving before taking the plunge and spending some hard earned money! look at how the current economy is shaping up

And donā€™t be fooled by the ads in the paper and agency shop windows for ā€œ50 Class C / C+E drivers needed for new contractā€ either, as they are always BS and never exist. Itā€™s just a ā€˜salesā€™ tactic to get your name on their books. Same for the ā€œget your LGV licence and earn Ā£800 per weekā€ ads. YAWN

If still wanting to do it check out everything the job situation ( but as has been said it not good atm ) where you are in a safe secure job with regular money coming in unless you have a lot of savings & can afford not to work for weeks on end then fine go for it

Dont give up hope though just place on back burner for now until things settle down again or more jobs become available

I am also a security guard at the moment an a bouncer on the weekends. I am also now thinking to do my cat C and C+E and then try to get a job as a tramper driver, but now reading this topic I am starting to rethink my plans.

Is it hard to get a tramping job as well nowadays?
I have done 7.5 ton job for two years, so I have some experience.

jordanb:
I would be hopeing to stay in fulltime employment with my current job, and do agency work at the weekends, would this be possible?

Just remember that any/all of your jobs count towards your total weekly working hours.

Itā€™s not all doom and gloom but you have to be realistic. The grass is not greener and all that.

check out link below for proā€™s and cons

hgvlgvtraining.co.uk/driving-hgv-career.php

hgvlgvtraining

To be honest, I think you stand more chance of obtaining a job polishing silverware in Kilmarnock F.C.'s Trophy Room than driving a truck at the mo. :wink:

Riho:
I am also a security guard at the moment an a bouncer on the weekends. I am also now thinking to do my cat C and C+E and then try to get a job as a tramper driver, but now reading this topic I am starting to rethink my plans.

Is it hard to get a tramping job as well nowadays?
I have done 7.5 ton job for two years, so I have some experience.

Sorry to say that wont count for cat C or CE the only thing is is that you have some knowledge of the roads & poss be able to read a map

cheers for the info and advice, much appreciated,

thinking of going for the rigid license round about summertime as I will hopefully be coming into a bit of moneyround about then, and sticking with mycurrent job untill the job situation picks back up again :wink:

Harry Monk:
To be honest, I think you stand more chance of obtaining a job polishing silverware in Kilmarnock F.C.'s Trophy Room than driving a truck at the mo. :wink:

haha, there playing some really good football this season, trophies cant be far away again :slight_smile: best entertaining to watch football team in scotland at the moment, scottish barca :wink:

There is an expression- ā€œThe best time to mend your roof is when the sun is shiningā€, and you have to look at this in reverse.

Itā€™s not the best time to take HGV lessons in the hope of landing an immediate job, but it is a good time to cut a deal with a driving school and put your licence away for the future.

jordanb:

Harry Monk:

haha, there playing some really good football this season, trophies cant be far away again :slight_smile: best entertaining to watch football team in scotland at the moment, scottish barca :wink:

They were good on Tuesday, just not good enough, but you are right the Wee Fat Finn has got them playing well. Really well considering most pundits were tipping them to be in a relegation battle this season. Two very pleasing results in Ayrshire on Tuesday night as far as I am concerned. :wink:

Terry T:

jordanb:
I would be hopeing to stay in fulltime employment with my current job, and do agency work at the weekends, would this be possible?

Just remember that any/all of your jobs count towards your total weekly working hours.

Not correct. The hours he does in his current job would not count toward his working hours for our flavour of the WTD. It will be the tacho rules which will impact on his ability to do agency work in addition to his regular job, due to weekly rest requirements, rather than our WTD.

Coffeeholic:

Terry T:

jordanb:

Not correct. The hours he does in his current job would not count toward his working hours for our flavour of the WTD. It will be the tacho rules which will impact on his ability to do agency work in addition to his regular job, due to weekly rest requirements, rather than our WTD.

Ahh right, I knew it impacted it somehow. What are the rules exactly, I need to know this for when I pass as I work self employed weekends myself.

Say you do a 37 week in a factory split over 3, 4 or 5 days. Would you be able to then drive at weekends. If so, how much ?

Terry T:

Coffeeholic:

Terry T:

jordanb:

Ahh right, I knew it impacted it somehow. What are the rules exactly, I need to know this for when I pass as I work self employed weekends myself.

Say you do a 37 week in a factory split over 3, 4 or 5 days. Would you be able to then drive at weekends. If so, how much ?

You must have a minimum one full weekly rest period of at least 45 hours and one reduced of between 24 and 45 hours in any two weeks. So for someone who works a 5 day week job Monday to Friday this usually means they can work one day at the weekend every two weeks. If their regular job is over less than 5 days they can work more. How many hours they work in their regular job during the week isnā€™t a factor, itā€™s all about getting the correct weekly rest periods in.

Got ya. Thanks :slight_smile:

I am thinking of sending out cvs to companys who operate the likes of mercedes sprinter vans as well as class 2 and class 1 vehicles, trying to get a job driving the vans then hopefully I get my foot in the door and can then hopefully get a shot at the class 2/1 if a vacancy arises. Does this sound like a good idea, or would I be likely to just be wasting my time.

cheers