Change of job

Hi everyone,
As you will see i am a newbie to this forum so please be gentle!
Anyway i am thinking of a career change and trucking is something that has given me an itch for a long time so i am about to take the plunge and book a cat C course for September, I just want to know out of interest is it ever too late to do it as i am nearly 38 and it would be nice to know if anyone of advancing years has gone on successfully to carve out a career driving LGV’s or is it a younger mans game?

Many thanks…

jimmymac

jimmymac:
I just want to know out of interest is it ever too late to do it as i am nearly 38

From my own experience on the road, Ive met other drivers who have come into the driving game at a later stage of life. Normally due to a change of jobs via redundancy or just old plain fed up. The driving scene has recently been an employers market, with the more experienced guys finding work over the newbies HOWEVER this now seems to have changed and recent posts on this forum shows newbies are finding full time work
:bulb: It might be worthwhile looking at THIS POST BY REDRORRY who is a little bit more mature than yourself

This post might be useful if you do go doing the HGV route :arrow_right: Job Hunting

Assuming you had passed your car test before 1997 and therefore have C1 entitlement on your licence you do not need to worry about the Inital CPC but instead the PERIODIC CPC

If you click the link in my signature (under this message) it will take you to an excellent thread with loads of information for before you start training

Many thanks for the reply Tonka,
I will definately take your advice in,
Thanks again…

hi jimmymac,as i was made redundant from my roofing job in april at the young age of 48!!! i knew the construction industry is on its arse at the moment so made the decision to sell my beloved harley and booked back to back C & C+E courses with Peter Smythe Training,the result being 2 first time passes and a full time job through determination and legwork knocking on haulage companies gates!!! moral of story. NEVER TO OLD,GO FOR IT. look me up on facebook if your’e on it.cheers mate. Carl Clay

Passed my Class 2 at 49 (2007), passed Class 1 at 52 (March 2010) now driving artics. Why would it be too late to start? :unamused:

Seeing as i missed it before

keano1:
Passed my Class 2 at 49 (2007), passed Class 1 at 52 (March 2010) now driving artics

CONGRATULATIONS ON PASSING C and C+E

Thanks guys,
You have been more than helpful and after 7 years doing the same old boring low paid work i am definately going to take the plunge now,i was just a little bit worried as im not 17 anymore and it looks so hard to get through the test!

So you going form 1 low paid job to another :laughing:

Welcome to the mad house btw

I was a little over that when I done mine ( but as you know you should never ask a lady her age )

It can be hard to do but just listen to your instructor and ask a question if in doubt

Do you know who you are going to do your training with yet :question:

Hiyyaaa jimmymac , you aint too old at 38 years young ,if you want to drive trucks well just go for it , & welcome :smiley:

Welcome mate and at about the same age as me :wink: you never too old go fer it
jennie x