Hi all ,wannabe at 41, bad idea?

Hi everyone been revising my theory and came on this fab site and realised its not all glamour but does anyone think I am too old at 41 to become an HGV driver.

Any opinions appreciated

jeezo

First off, welcome Jeezo. ROG will be by in a moment to point the way to all his fine information for learners. He’s our resident (far too resident, he needs a job) instructor.
Not too old, by about 20 years not too old. Now isn’t a great time to be looking for a job, but if you can afford to do it now (or get the benefits people to pay for it) then you’ll have it for when the job market picks up.

NO NO NO NO NO NO :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome JEEZO :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

GENERAL DRIVING TIPS BEFORE STARTING LGV C TRAINING (Link)

If you click the link in my signature or these truck pictures

it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot more info which may be of use to you for C or C+E ARTIC training.

BEFORE you book your training, READ THIS… & THIS - I suggest visiting the training school, meeting the head person(s) and have a quick look at the truck BEFORE parting with any money.

Click :arrow_right: Recommended LGV training schools

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics, Driver CPC, Getting 1st LGV Licence and much more…

JEEZO:
Hi everyone been revising my theory and came on this fab site and realised its not all glamour but does anyone think I am too old at 41 to become an HGV driver.

Any opinions appreciated

jeezo

We did a recent poll on ages and I can assure you that 41 is not too old :slight_smile:

Just the wrong time to be getting into this industry IMO.

Firstly, thanks for the welcome. So in your experience guys, do you think the market will pick up or or is the country in it for the long haul (if youll pardon the pun)

jeezo

No way is that too old. My uncle passed his cat C at 56 and hes working, well he gets paid, for a multinational logistics firm, Age can be of a benefit as I know the firm my uncle works for dose not like to employ drivers under 40 years old.

Allikat, as usual, has it right when she says the market for new drivers in dead, at the moment.,but whilst peeps live they’ll need drivers to move the gear.

Good luck with the tests.

now how long was that piece of string :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Not too old.

The great thing about trucking is that at 42 I am still called ‘lad’ or ‘young man’ by almost everyone else in the trade. :slight_smile: :smiley: :slight_smile:

Definately an ego boost.

JEEZO:
Firstly, thanks for the welcome. So in your experience guys, do you think the market will pick up or or is the country in it for the long haul (if youll pardon the pun)

jeezo

General concensus by the experts seen on the news is two years for this current recession but, strangely enough, that’s how long you will need to hold your licence before a lot of companies & agencies will entertain employing you :slight_smile: - they call it 2 years ‘experience’ but in reality they want you to ‘have’ your licence for 2 years. :exclamation: :exclamation: - it’s usually an insurance thing

Had a read at Rog’s tips, great insight, and thanks to the other guys for advice that I may not be too old.Its down to me I suppose and how I feel.ThouGH I do realise there is not a lot of work at the mo, does anyone know of any reputable HGV training in the Glasgow area.

jeezo

JEEZO:
does anyone know of any reputable HGV training in the Glasgow area.

Ask a member called willie_mac - if you click on his name then you can send him a PM (Private Message)

Will do Rog and thanks for the fab n groovy welcome banner.

Jeezo

JEEZO:
Will do Rog and thanks for the fab n groovy welcome banner.

Jeezo

I’ve got even better ones if you decide to go ahead and pass your test(s) :wink:

Thats almost the best incentive ive had all night :Rog cheers l

Hi Jeezo and welcome to the nuthouse!!

LOL

I am a 49 year old ‘newbie’ (Passed Class C last October). So you are definitely not too old.

The work situation is a bit grim at the moment, to say the least. But I managed to blag a job somehow. I believe enthusiasm at the interview really helped. First day tomorrow and I’m ‘nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockin’ chairs’!!

So good luck!! Like the rest of us you’ll need it! But, and this is the important bit, it can be done!! :smiley:

Thanks for that Dilligaf, so are you saying its taken you a year and a bit to actually get your first job ?

jeezo

No; 3 months. Oct 2008 'til now! :smiley:

Name’s Simon by the way. ‘DILLIGAF’ is just my signature line…courtesy of Kevin ‘Bloody’ Wilson :wink:

LOL

Cheers,

Simon

Ok Simon cheers.

Scott

Welcome Jeezo , I just turned 40 last month and have been driving nearly two years now. I wrote about how I started here it here on a blog , its a lot harder to get a job nowadays of course but having a licenceis not going to stop you getting one is it!
All the best
Danny

43 here.

Passed my Cat C last September (i was 42 then).

So i would say no your not to old, but as Rog say’s, not a good time at the moment.