Newbie saying Hello

Hello to all

Im 35 and enjoy driving so this move to the world of trucking was what I needed,I passed my cat C on 2nd jan this year in a 4/4 8 speed I only got 3 minor faults which shocked me lol

ive completed all my CPC and have my tacho card, The CPC is a bit of a faf tbh but has to be done
I found the site on a goole search, I joined to see if any other drivers have problems with joining work agencies ive signed up for a few now and feel like they advertise jobs just to get you on board , Is there any out there you can trust ■■? Im in St helens merseyside

thanks

Hi and welcome.

It’s certainly the case that “jobs” are advertised by some agencies to make sure they have the supply of drivers they need.

A better route to secure work is to visit smaller hauliers and own account operators. See the transport manager. If he’s not available, find out when he is and go back. Don’t take “no” for an answer. Politely persist. Carry your cv with you but very often, the way you present yourself will override your cv.

Make sure you have all docs (licence, dqc, digicard etc) with you. Also work gear so, if needed, you could start instantly. It does happen. If you turn up just as they’re about to phone an agency, you’re in.

Swat up on drivers’ hours and tachos - you may be tested and you need to know anyway. Consider a cpc course for this if you’re not already up to speed.

Eventually, consider CE. This opens many more doors.

Whatever you do, don’t sit by the phone waiting for the agency. Could be a very long day!

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Trucker 1:
I passed my cat C on 2nd jan this year

:smiley: :smiley:

Thanks Fellas , :wink: And thanks Pete :wink:

thanks for some some great advice there, I admit I do need to swat up on hours and tacho stuff
Im going to do some paper copys of my CV today and start doing some call ins in my area to diffrent companys , I kNew Id get pointed in the right direction joining here :smiley:

Trucker 1:
I admit I do need to swat up on hours and tacho stuff

Have you done a 7 hour dcpc tacho course?

Well done on passing your cat C.
I started driving (7.5t) in December. I went to a two local agencies and signed up, took my CV, DQC, tacho and driving licence and had to fill in a million forms, sat a theory test and then they put me on their books. I’ve been lucky as I had no previous hgv experience but I have regular work every Saturday which suits me as I work in a school during the week. The plan is to get some experience and then progress to C (got my provisional) then hope fully C+E. My advice would be go to the agency rather than apply online. Good luck :slight_smile:

Also carry your work gear with you because you never know, they may decide to get you straight out there.

Thanks peeps

I had to do a mod 2 and 4 as my licenece dosnt have grandfarther rights on it I passed in june 97 missed it by 6 months,

:sunglasses: Good news is ive got a start tonight on a class 2 for FreshDirect ill also have a drivers mate to hand asewl not bad pay either and local ,its on going for a agency so Ill post a update asap , I can give it ago :smiley:

Trucker1-welcome mate. If you pm me,i will give you the name of a company within 5 miles of you who give newbies a chance.

:smiley: Great stuff thanks eagerbeaver you have PM sorry it took so long

Well My first shift went well in a class 2 ,Lots of handballing but have to start some where 10 drops of fresh produce on pallets which had to be stuck in fridge by me and a drivers mate using little trollys in liverpool city center on a friday night hahahaha :laughing: :laughing: shocking

I must of only drove for a couple of hours in total , The Agency did tell me on going but I now know If and when needed :unamused:

Still cant wait to get behind the wheel again as I enjoyed it evan though its work :sunglasses: