Thinking about driving again!

Hi Folks,
I’m thinking about going out driving C+E again. I passed my C+E about 4 years and managed to pick up a job doing casual driving straight away. I drove for about 10 months and gave it up due to other work commitments and family life. I currently drive Class C that is Tacho free and was wondering if much has changed in the last 3 years? I know when i gave it up last time my reversing was getting worse than ever, i put this down to nerves and a mix of driving C & C+E together. :blush:

Any Help would be much appreciated. SB :confused:

I wouldn’t let your C+E go to waste if I were you bud! :open_mouth:

You would soon get back into it I’m sure, but whatever you do decide to do, all the best with it.

Cheers mate,
I still intend to do class C as part of my full time job and would like to pick up some C+E work on the casual side. I think i’ll have to book myself in for a spot of the old reversing before i start applying for jobs! :open_mouth:

Regards SB

same as above mate,i have been in and out of driving for few yrs now,lots have changed and not for the better i must say,but hey ho,you will soon remember qhat to do lol, all the best

Possibly might be worth just doing a refresher on CE just to get your eye back in.

Just a thought :wink:

dar1976:
Possibly might be worth just doing a refresher on CE just to get your eye back in.

Just a thought :wink:

Book half a day if that is your intention

I did a few of those refreshers and all the drivers had it cracked within 4 hours - like riding a bike again after not doing so for tens of years

Many thanks for the advice. I’ll be looking into a bit of a refresher course in the new year. Looks like i might need some help in going forwards and backwards! :laughing:

SB :smiley:

Evening Gents,
I’ve got a driving assessment with a local frim later on in January. As i’ve not done any class 1 stuff in the last 3 years i’ve decided to go for a one day refresher course. Does anybody know if such courses exist or how much i’m likely to be paying for that kind of course? :confused:

Many thanks SB

Many trainers are totally flexible and will book whatever you ask for. A whole day is probably over the top and could become boring IMO. I would suggest that anywhere between 3 and 5 hours would probably be fine. Expect to pay IRO £65 per hour. Make sure VAT is included. You will have a manual box on a training vehicle which is no longer representative of many trucks in the “real world” so don’t pay too much attention to gear errors. Also make sure it is on an artic rather than w+d. For that reason, we rarely do this type of training.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Many thanks for the reply. It’s mainly reversing, coupling up and checks that i’d need a refresher for. I’ll contact a few local firms and see how much they charge.

Many thanks SB

Interview on Friday. Looking forward to picking up a bit of casual driving work again. :smiley:

SB

smokinbarrels:
Interview on Friday. Looking forward to picking up a bit of casual driving work again. :smiley:

SB

Good Luck

smokinbarrels:

SB

Nice one mate! All the very best with it. :sunglasses:

Cheers for the replys folks. Hope they dont ask me to do a reverse, i’ve been on class 2’s for the last 3 years…is it left hand down or right hand down?..oh bugger! :blush:

SB :smiley:

Training day Monday which counts towards 7hrs CPC then out with a driver trainer for a day (I wont be able to go out until the following week due to other work commitments) and after that i should be okay to go out on my own. Not sure how things will go as i’ve not touched c+e for 3 years and only drove them for 6 months before that!

SB

I can still get it on the bays with a couple of shunts!