Advice needed from C+E licence holders

Right I started my class c training Monday morning this week, me and my instructor Neil got on like a house on fire and had a right laugh all week aswell as getting stuck into it and learning.

Anyway the week went fairly smoothly as did my test on Thursday morning, apart from [zb]ing up my gear change exercise but luckily the rest of my test went well so the examinor let me have a second go at the end which went well so I came out with a 1st time pass.

Anyway next comes my class c+e, how is it in comparison to class c? Im on such a high now after my class c went so well this week Im worried Im going to completely [zb] up my class c+e and let myself down? When I was doing my normal class b driving test back in 1999 when I was 17 I got myself that worked up; although my lessons were going well come the day of the test Id just fall to pieces and bearly be able to get the car out of the test centre car park. I ended up failing 3 times and that was in a 1.0 V.W Polo nevermind a 30 ton articulated lorry :open_mouth: .

If I managed to move upto driving a 12 ton rigid flatbed from driving a car ok should I be ok moving upto driving an artic now?

The reversing looks impossible looking at it now, is it as hard as it looks? Ive reversed with a caravan and that was a nightmare.

Are the exaniners any harsher on the tests?

To hear of any experiences or advice from any c+e drivers about moving up from class c would be a blessing.

Think i’ve covered about everything in my Thread seanh including videos of reverse etc - i’ve been told its not a bad read either :smiley: trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … c&start=90

seanh:
Are the exaniners any harsher on the tests?

Shouldn’t be. As I’m sure you know both the C and CE test follows the same format ie same exercises, routes etc… it’s just getting used to the different vehicle.

Hey cheers, Ive read through your posts Wills, looks like youve been to hell and back but Im glad you stuck at it and ended up with a happy ending. Hopefully I will end up with a similar ending too when I do my C+E.

Good luck with your new carreer path and keep us posted on how you go on.

mrpj:
Shouldn’t be. As I’m sure you know both the C and CE test follows the same format ie same exercises, routes etc… it’s just getting used to the different vehicle.

Cheers, I think Ill be ok then (touch wood), just need to get used to driving an artic, may not pass 1st time but its ok.

seanh:
Hey cheers, Ive read through your posts Wills, looks like youve been to hell and back but Im glad you stuck at it and ended up with a happy ending. Hopefully I will end up with a similar ending too when I do my C+E.

Good luck with your new carreer path and keep us posted on how you go on.

certainly have seanh but its been well worth it :smiley: I’ll look forward to reading about your pass Good luck

wills

Some pictures from my class c training

seanyh.spaces.msn.com/

I passed my Class 2 a few weeks ago. As soon as I could I went for the Class 1 . Was feeling rather nervous about it . And when I first walked up to it,and I knew I had to drive it , it looked bloody massive .But it was a pleasure to drive , well, going forwards at least :laughing: . Had major problems with the reversing, and failed my test because of it.Retest on Wednesday.
I say go for it. If you aint as thick as I obviously am , you will get the reversing in the end.

First off - DONT PANIC ! - as mentioned the test is basicly the same as the C, but with the uncouple / re-couple exercise added. My instructor gave me this “aid de memoir”

B - Brake
L - Legs
A - Air lines
K - Klip (clip)

Follow this when uncoupling and you cant go wrong ( in reverse when re - coupling )

Also when getting out of the cab, to check position on the reverse or checking the kingpin hight, always switch off the motor.

Dont get too worried about the reverse either, if your instructor is any good he wont let you stop practising until you are happy, but it is just a matter of learning the set routine. From memory - Hard right hand down, back wheel of cab 2 ft from line, straighten up, go back 4ft in straight line, then hard left hand down to bring cab in line with trailer - you should now be pointing at the garage and then its a gentle and graceful arc into the garage. Remember , you can have two shunts to get lined up, but if you do decide to take a shunt, make it a good one and get yourself lined up. The biggest mistake is to oversteer when going backwards. It only takes small corrections on the wheel to get the trailer moving.

Good luck with the training and let us know how you get on. And if you fail first time, consider it a practice.

Isnt it BLANK ? I was told to take the number plate off the trailer .Didnt get that far on the test though

Cheers everyone, I feel a lot better about going for it now and even if I have to take the test a couple of times it doesnt matter, Ill just think of it as more practice.

Cheers.

SalTheWop:
Isnt it BLANK ? I was told to take the number plate off the trailer .Didnt get that far on the test though

we were all probably taught a different way, mine was BLACK BAL

Brake
Legs
Air line, hoses
Clip
Kingpin

then as a final check B
A
L
Then it was BLACK in reverse once you had checked the NEW trailer ( mot + trailer brake on + daily check )

ps SalTheWop wow that was good going getting such a quick retest EXCELLENT Good Luck

wills