C+E? No problemo!

Well, it is with great pleasure (and relief!) to announce that today I passed my C+E test first time! :grimacing:

I passed on the 1400 test at Sheffield. To say I was nervous is a massive understatement. The class 2 test last year was bad enough, but this was something else. My nerves didnā€™t hit with my C test last year until I got into the test centre. Iā€™ve had them all week this time round, with my class 1 and in particular last night and today. Today was terrible for my nerves. :blush:

As with my class 2 last year, I did my training with DAC Training of Rotherham who I cannot recommend highly enough. :smiley: Throughout my C and C+E everyone there was fantastic; Roy, the Training Manager (I know thaā€™s reading this! :stuck_out_tongue: :grimacing: ) and my excellent instructor, Rod, plus everyone else there, were awesome throughout and I really havenā€™t got a bad word to say about any aspect of my training.

So anyway, my lā€™il class 1 journey started on Tuesday for a full dayā€™s training. Should have been four hours on the Monday but it was a Bank Holiday so I opted for the full day instead. It was quite daunting, given the size of the lorry and the fact that it bends but I seemed to handle it okay. Did okayish on the reversing but for some reason struggled with the coupling and in particular lining the unit up with the trailer. I have no idea why. :neutral_face:

The morning was fine: luverly and bright and warm. In the afternoon? ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  it down royally. There I was in a huge articulated lorry that was new to me and the wipers were on full, the heated mirror switch was activated as we drove through our torrential downpour. Marvellous! :angry: Getting out and swimming wouldā€™ve been easier! :astonished:

Wednesday now when, after everything the night before had sunk in, the uncoupling/recoupling clicked. My reversing wasnā€™t as good though. :blush: Test day on Friday was gaining quickly, but still seemed ages away. My four hoursā€™ training in the afternoon zoomed by, probably because of the full day Iā€™d had the previous day.

Thursday now, the 3rd September. Why the date? Well, 'twas my birthday! Things started clicking a bit more now and by this point although still nervous I was enjoying myself more and strangely, Iā€™d come to love the uncoupling/recoupling. I have to say that the BLACK/KCLABā€¦

Uncouple:

Brake
Legs
Airlines (and electrics too, of course!)
Clip
Kingpin handle

ā€¦ method of recalling (and KCALB in reverse) it all is absolutely fantastic and really stuck with me. Remembering all the other things like the ride height and number plate and light test was a doddle with the above routine.

Reverse still on and off; I wasnā€™t performing two the same; one would be brilliant and the other would be less so, but every time I cocked up, I rescued it, (though Rodā€™s advice certainly helped!) which was the main thing I suppose. On the road and on the test routes I made some silly errors but I put those down to nerves. Even clipped a couple of kerbs. :blush: Still, I was handling the thing reasonably well and wasnā€™t killing anyone with it, so thatā€™s always a Brucie Bonus!

Friday. Today. The 4th September. Headed into DACā€™s office in Rotherham at 1230 to meet Rod and to pick the wagon up for some reverse practice, which went pretty much the same as it has been all week but by now I know how to correct things when they go badly wrong. I keep looking at my watch. D-Day is getting nearer by the second and before I know whatā€™s happened weā€™re at the Test Centre and itā€™s 1400! Eeeeeeek! :astonished: :open_mouth:

Seems like only yesterday I was there doing my class 2 test. I couldnā€™t help thinking to myself as I sat there in the waiting room: ā€œwhat the hell am I doing putting myself through this again?!ā€ but if I want that bendy licence, needs must. There was one other test candidate there, in a rigid. His first test. I have no idea how he got on but I wished him well and he did likewise. Poor sod looked as nervous as I felt. I knew how he was feeling.

The door opened and out walked the examiners. Mine was a friendly chap called Phil. We walked to the lorry and he asked me the safety questions. Mine were: ā€˜how would you make sure the bodywork is in order on this vehicle?ā€™ (Iā€™m paraphrasing, by the wayā€¦) and ā€˜how would you check the brake lights work?ā€™. I answered his questions and he talked me through the reverse and there I was. I was on test. AARRGGHH!

Ballsed it up slightly but I recovered. It probably would have gone in as it was but I took the shunt to be sure. I may have even taken two. Canā€™t remember. Only had one minor for the reversing though. Myself and the yellow perimeter line to my right had a close-call which I thought Iā€™d failed on, but thankfully I was wrong. Phew! Anyway, that particular ordeal over and it was foot to the floor in 4th time for the controlled stop, which went fine.

On the road then now. Right outta the test centre, then left at the end of the road and off we went. I still canā€™t remember the exact route as I was concentrating hard on what I was doing rather than where I was; the route took us through Treeton in Rotherham, which is a ā€œlovelyā€ place for an artic at the best of times, let alone a newbie to one on test! From there we made our way onto the Sheffield Parkway city-bound and we came off at the Parkway Markets junction, I think. From there left onto Woodburn Road, then left at the roundabout up Manor Lane, past the Kier depot and straight on, finding our way onto the Manor estate and Prince of Wales Road, then down through Richmond and then Handsworth and back to the test centre for the uncoupling/recoupling exercise.

I thought a few times over that Iā€™d failed; in fact, Iā€™d convinced myself I had. :blush: As my instructor, Rod, said though, youā€™ve never failed until the examiner tells you you have. So, after the un/coupling, Phil got back in the lorry with me and proceeded to do his paperwork. He then said ā€œright, you have five driving faults. No serious. You know what that means?ā€ ā€œerrrrrm,ā€ says I, ā€œI have a dangerous?ā€ he just smiled and said that Iā€™d passed. Cue relief, euphoria, everything, followed by extreme tiredness after all the intensity of the concentrating. Without a doubt the happiest moment of my life; not stopped grinning all night! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Having gone through both class 2 and 1 first time, (not boasting, guvā€™nor, honest! :stuck_out_tongue: ) my advice to other test candidates is just to try your best, drive how you were taught, think before you do ANYTHING and never ever just think youā€™ve failed. No matter what you do and where and when, you never ever know what the resultā€™s gonna be, so keep the standards high and forget any mistakes you made.

I got 5 minors, which was 2 less than my class 2 last year. Going on memory (the driving test reportā€™s downstairs at the moment and Iā€™m comfy hereā€¦) the minors were:

1 for steering,
2 for mirrors when changing speed,
1 for the reverse
1 for anticipation and planning, I think.

Sod the minors; Iā€™ll learn from them. I passed and thatā€™s the main thing.

Some piccies, you say? Soinenlyā€¦

My training vehicleā€¦

^^ Absolutely bloody lovely to drive; blinged-up too! Only a temporary one though as I believe a new liveried training unit is on the way soon. :grimacing:

Day one, in the yard, during the torrential downpourā€¦

Bendy bendyā€¦

From the sideā€¦

And back at the yard earlier, hereā€™s me looking chuffed to bits in the lorryā€¦

Happy doesnā€™t come anywhere close to covering itā€¦ :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Once again, thanks to all at DAC Training, special thanks to Roy and Rod. Cheers, chaps.

Further, thanks to Rog here on Trucknet and all those who contributed to the help files. :smiley:

Well done mate! Did you sweat much? I did on mine in the middle of winter!! :smiley:

Well done mate :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for that, you two! :smiley:

theseatonslicer:
Did you sweat much? I did on mine in the middle of winter!! :smiley:

Did I ever?! :astonished:

Those hi-viz vests donā€™t help, do they? I canā€™t stand the things. Lightweight but really make me sweat. I actually said that to my examiner and he said ā€œtoo much informationā€. :grimacing: Soon as the test was over, the bloody thing came off!

:smiley: :smiley:

MrPanther:
Reverse still on and off; I wasnā€™t performing two the same; one would be brilliant and the other would be less so, but every time I cocked up, I rescued it, (though Rodā€™s advice certainly helped!) which was the main thing I suppose.

MrPanther:
I answered his questions and he talked me through the reverse and there I was. I was on test. AARRGGHH!
Ballsed it up slightly but I recovered.

Knowing how to recover is the key to reversing an artic.

Something similar happened on mine test. Spun the steering wheel round and got the trailer into what I thought was a good pisition then I realised I couldnā€™t see the right side cone. Swung the trailer round a bit more and positioned it almost rightly to the ā€˜garageā€™ Just couldnā€™t get round correctly so had to take a shunt. Have to admit that a very quick panic set in then the cone didnā€™t appear but recovered well to pass the test.

well done mate :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I took a shunt on my reverseā€¦ I think i could of got it in one go but no way was i taking that risk of hitting a coneā€¦ just shunted a good half way up to the start cones but got it fully straight and back it went dead easy.

For any newbies, take your shunt and get it fully straight, makes it SOOOOO much easier when the trailer is always in your mirror.

Hi MrPanther,

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on passing your ā€œC+Eā€ test :smiley:
:smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley:

Well done mate your now part of a select few, what ever you do donā€™t tell anyone Ok :sunglasses: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

Again, thank you all for your replies and congratulatory messages. :smiley: :smiley:

Paul-H:
Something similar happened on mine test. Spun the steering wheel round and got the trailer into what I thought was a good pisition then I realised I couldnā€™t see the right side cone. Swung the trailer round a bit more and positioned it almost rightly to the ā€˜garageā€™ Just couldnā€™t get round correctly so had to take a shunt. Have to admit that a very quick panic set in then the cone didnā€™t appear but recovered well to pass the test.

Horrible, isnā€™t it, when that happens? The trailerā€™s obstructing your view and you have absolutely no clue where the cones are, or much else, for that matter. I know well the feeling of panic setting in. The examiner looking up at you as you try desperately to recover from the mess, listening out for the sound of crushing cones at any second.

Horrible mess thatā€™s easy to get into but what a feeling it is when you sort it out, eh? I did take two shunts, I remember now, though I was only marked one minor for it. As I was taking my second shunt though, I realised that this was it, I HAD to get the bloody thing in now, no matter what. Sitting in the garage, getting my breath back and regaining my composure after it all was quite a feeling. :blush: My nerves did settle a bit when I got out on the road though.

philmots:
For any newbies, take your shunt and get it fully straight, makes it SOOOOO much easier when the trailer is always in your mirror.

I fully agree. My instructor told me it was going in fine until I decided to take the shunt. The thing was, it didnā€™t look fine from my perspective and I took the shunt. I do agree though; best to take the shunt rather than risk taking a cone out.

In my haste to post my initial post, I forgot to say a couple of things. Another tip for newbies that I can give is to talk to other drivers when the opportunity arises. I was in my rigid at a drop in Doncaster a couple of months ago just after I booked my class 1 course. There was a chap in a flatbed artic (a newish MAN) and I got chatting to him and told him Iā€™d soon be taking my class 1 and I started asking him a few questions. He was brilliant and answered everything in full,; he talked me through the un/recoupling details and even let me sit behind the wheel to get a feel of the size of the thing.

Similarly, at a drop in Goole a few weeks later, a very nice chap was just coupling a unit upto a trailer. I approached just as he got outta the cab to connect everything. I asked if I could watch, explained why I wanted to do so and he let me, with his guidance, put the clip and airlines in and generally gave me advice. Those two gentlemen, whoever you are, I canā€™t thank you enough. :smiley: Also, thanks to the Welsh flatbed artic driver at the Portakabin gates in York a couple of months ago who too let me sit in the cab and gave me some sound advice. Thanks immensely.

My advice to those going for their tests would be to talk to drivers whenever they can. Approach me and youā€™ll get as much advice and assistance as I possibly can give. Those drivers didnā€™t have to talk to me and let me sit in their cabs and help as they did, but they did and I wonā€™t forget it. :smiley:

Thats excellent well done :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I got my C+E early this year, best feeling when you pass :smiley:

well done chap good on ya, as a side note, whe I did my test I shunted till almost the start point of the reverse to get her dead straight so I could just slot it home, probably looked pathertic, but itā€™s allowed and I was damned if I was going to fail before the test had even begun :exclamation: