the vulcan

the vulcan flies today. from brize norton to the waddingon airshow then back to brize. if your in the area keep an eye out for it.

vulcantothesky.org/

obviously nothing to do with trucking, but the vehicle has just passed its mot, the jockey is doing his walk round checks and ok i know wont be carrying a load today but once upon a time this baby delivered a full load to the argentinians. :sunglasses:

vulcantothesky.org/

Saw it fly at Stoughton a few years ago, AWESOME.

Thanks for the ā€œheads upā€, I am in Leicester, hopefully will get to see it :smiley:

You mean this bugger??

:smiley:

yes, much bigger in real life, pics make it look small :stuck_out_tongue:

Fantastic plane saw it at Goodwood Revival,awesome led me to get the book and this plane that is now preserved was number 2 and couldnā€™t make it because as it left Ascension Island they couldnā€™t shut the drivers window and had to turn back,[the window rubber had perished].Great read highly recommended think itā€™s called Vulcan 607.

Is that the one thats parked at Southend?

What happened to the one outside Blackpool airport ?

Iā€™ll just don my anorak for this post about the awesome tin triangle.

The one at Blackpool was sold on ebay a few years ago, but the new owner could not afford to move it so it was scrapped :frowning:

The one at Southend G-VJET is taxiable as is another somewhere in the Midlands (canā€™t remember where).

XH558 is the only flying example and has recently returned to the sky after years and millions restoring it. It was the last example flown by the RAF and was in service for several years longer than the others doing the airshow circuits. In the early 90ā€™s I used to work at the Fighter Meet at Nort Weald where it was always a good show. Standing alongside the run when it rotated off the ground and thundered into the sky was amazing, the noise was biblical. Iā€™d love to see it flying again but they only have a limited number of hours available.( Much like me)

There are examples at Duxford, Hendon and I think Cosford that are good for having a closeup looky at. Thereā€™s a fair few others dotted about too but less accessible.

The book Vulcan 607 is well worth a read.
Taxi? Yes please.

Pity they didnā€™t keep a concorde flying, that is a part of our history, and our former technical expertise lost forever!

i came past an airport by Stratford upon avon thursday and noticed one (a Vulcan) parked parked on the side of the runway

8wheels:
somewhere in the Midlands (canā€™t remember where).

That would be Bruntingthorpe.

edit:-
It WAS at Bruntingthorpe,

thisisleicestershire.co.uk/n ā€¦ ticle.html

truckerjon:
Pity they didnā€™t keep a concorde flying, that is a part of our history, and our former technical expertise lost forever!

Read somewhere a few weeks ago that a group was testing the engines of a concorde , with the hope of returning it to the air for displays.

save-concorde.co.uk/

The (somewhere in the midlands) Bruntingthorpe one is the one thatā€™s still flying - AFAIK it still over-winters there and then flies down to Brize Norton as it base for flying shows during the summer. Bruntingthorpeā€™s also got an air museum thatā€™s open a few times a year. Also, as well as being a proving ground for a lot of fast cars they do a roaring trade in ex-fleet cars & trucks with quite a few local dealers based there.

malcolmj:
i came past an airport by Stratford upon avon thursday and noticed one (a Vulcan) parked parked on the side of the runway

Wellesbourne. And it is in taxi condition, there is also one at Coventry Airport Museum.

it flew over my house about an hour ago heading for the Coventry areaā€¦ it still looks an impressive site and I envy my dad who used to transport the engines up and down the country on the back of his RAF Queen Mary

Canā€™t imagine anyone getting so excited about the Eurofighter in about 40years?

Great piece of British engineering (younger posters ask your parents what that is).

i remember as a young lad when i lived in barry the sound of the vulcan as it took off from RAF St.Athan, blood curdling and spine chilling are words to describe it.

Its in the air now from Brize Norton to Goodwood Festival Of Speed THEN onto RAF Waddiongton airshow for its 2nd display of the weekend. Awesome aircraft.

Yeah itā€™s kept at bruntingthorpe. Flys over my house regular on trips to shows as Iā€™m only about 4 mile away from there. Sounds awesome everytime!

It flew over Petersfield today at 1.20 pm.