Airshow?

I,m going to Waddington international this Sunday i just wondered if it was something any of you are in to and might be going to.

It’s not reall me scene but my 6 year old lad loves it and i’m going with a mate who’s Ex- RAF.

Let me know if your going, and we can have a beer :slight_smile::).

Hi Jammy.

I got into the airshow thing about a year ago,and they are a great spectacle.

I’m now a member of the Lincolnshire Lancaster Association,which is linked with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight,and looks after the Lancaster,Spitfire and Hurricane’s,still in the custody of the RAF at Coningsby.(We get our own private airshow in September.)

I was lucky enough to book PA474,Lancaster bomber,for a 2 day motorsport event that I attended last September,for a flypast,and even now,still see these old girls most weekends either flying to/from RAF Coningsby,where they are based.

That’s not to say the jet engined planes aren’t any less spectacular,just plug your ears!!!

If you are lucky enough,or anorak enough to have a scanner,then take it with you to listen to the radio transmissions.

When you’ve been,either PM me,or post,and let me know how it went.I was going to go,but the allure of pound notes is too great.

Ken.

(True fact:Out of the 7377 Lancaster bombers built,only 2 still exist in the world,that are airworthy.1 in Britain,1 in Canada.However,there are numerous static planes in existence.)

after doing time in the raf you would have thought i would be into the airshow thing, but after refuelling thousands of the things i think i have had my fill for a while.
thats not to say i dont have my favourites though.
the lancaster would be 3rd favourite.
the vulcan 2nd favourite.
and the winner by miles would have to go to lightning :wink:

While I like to see the modern plane in all it’s glory,the reason I like the old prop planes,is because there are so few of them,although there are more and more Spitfires being re-built.And the sound of them as they pass,is pure music.

So with that in mind,my favourites are in the following order:

1.Lancaster
2.Spitfire
3.Hurricane

Ken.

I’ve got tickets for the royal international air tattoo @ fairford in Glostershire it was awsome last year and the first time i’ve been to one since I was a kid. We’re making a full weekend of it this year and staying at a travel lodge over night!! Its on the 16th/17th July if anyones intrested!

Been aviation crazy since I was a kid. Lived near to RAF Wittering in the days of the Vickers Valiant through to the Harriers they have now , well that was until I got married & moved away. Did go to a number of airshows a while back but now I work weekends so dont get time. I to was a member of the LLA until about 4 years ago. I’ve got one card up my sleeve this year we go on Holiday to Cornwall on the 18th July & guess what on at Cauldrose on the 20th…Yep the Airshow. So if I’m good her indoors might let me go. :laughing:

You can see the picture i took here usera.imagecave.com/jammymutt/airshow/

I have video of the Lancaster taking off and and doing a fly by with the SPitfire an awesome sight and also some footage of the red arrows doing some amazing shows , if anyone knows where i can put some short video clips online i will put them up there, but be warned they are not great quality.

The Red Arrows used to do there off-season training in Cyprus.

Before they started the show circuit they used to do a set of shows at the Sovereign Base Areas. The two years that I was there, we rafted up our windsurfers in the middle of the bay to watch. When they did the bomb burst part of the display, they used us as their aiming point. That was an amazing view. The sight of a half dozen (or whatever) Hawks coming straight at you and then shooting off at all angles was phenomenal.

They are good shots of those old proper airyplanes Jammy :laughing: :laughing: .

Jammy you can put video onto this site but it then becomes public so anyone can download it - but it is the only site for video that I know of.

I used to love watching the old Vulcans at Waddington when I worked at United carriers, I had an annual pass, and could get onto any part of the airfield providing there were no alerts.

I love the sound of that Lancaster though, my Brother flew in it last year, but the owner has had problems getting insurance for flights now. Actually the term flew is not quite right, the plane is not allowed in the air, they just get up to take off speed and then throttle back.

Im going to go for a look around the Air Museum at Royston on my holidays,

Another good museum is Sinsheim in Germany, they have some static exhibits right at the side of the motorway

Clacton airshow is said to be very good although ive never been. I think that happens around August bank holiday time.

I love the sound of that Lancaster though, my Brother flew in it last year, but the owner has had problems getting insurance for flights now. Actually the term flew is not quite right, the plane is not allowed in the air, they just get up to take off speed and then throttle back.

That’ll be the Lancaster at East Kirby at the Lincolnshire Aviation Centre,owned by the Panton Brothers.Been to the museum twice,and each time,it’s featured the pyrotechnics display,a mock up of the airfield under attack.Fantastic!!! The Lancaster isn’t airworthy,hence the reason it does ground runs.(Shame really,as 2 Lancasters in the air would be superb.)

I’ve just received my quarterly bumpf from the LLA,and in it are some raffle tickets,which if I want to enter,I have to send the stubs back with payment,and the first prize is a run in said Lancaster.(Called,Just Jayne.)

If anyone wants flypast dates for the BBMF aircraft,then pm me,or mail me,and if your in a particular area,say on holiday,I’ll let you know if the old girls are flying anywhere near to where you are at the time,as I have all the dates for this year.

Finally,I have a link to a historic aviation website,and on it,are photographs from the rear of the Lancaster,at the moment it dropped it’s poppies on the mall.Members of the flight and ground crew also post on this site.Link below.

Ken.

forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=45294

Nice pic’s jammymutt :smiley:

We went to the airshow last year.

It was brill

I loved the F16 and the noise,i made a video of it and and put music onto it.

To big to put on a site though.

Today & tomorrow at RAF Fairford Nr Swindon they have the Royal International Air Tattoo & thats a massive show with aircraft from all over the world. Quinny mentioned the BBMF they have a website pa474.f9.co.uk/ take a look very interesting.

I personally,am a lover of the old aircraft purely for the reason that there ain’t many left,and also the history behind them,however a small moment that tickled me last year at the Elvington airshow…

My eldest daughter,whose 13,decided that she needed to visit the little girls room,which consisted of the usual portaloo.As she went in to,‘ahem’,do the business,an F16,(Not a Volvo!!!) wound up to take off,and when she came out,she remarked that the ground was vibrating that much,that she though the loo was going to fall over. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

Quinny:
I personally,am a lover of the old aircraft purely for the reason that there ain’t many left,and also the history behind them,however a small moment that tickled me last year at the Elvington airshow…

My eldest daughter,whose 13,decided that she needed to visit the little girls room,which consisted of the usual portaloo.As she went in to,‘ahem’,do the business,an F16,(Not a Volvo!!!) wound up to take off,and when she came out,she remarked that the ground was vibrating that much,that she though the loo was going to fall over. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

Ah the Elvington Air Show, run by Mr. Kenneth Cothliff. What a [zb] he is :angry: .

TBH Rob,I don’t care who runs it,as long as the day is good with plenty to see and do.

And as I’ve said,I love the ‘old girls’ and am not too keen on small private style aircraft,but what I find fascinating,is the look and speed of the modern jets,and them compare with aircraft that are now ‘museum pieces,’ which makes you realise how far we’ve come with technology today,and what it’ll be like in say,another 60 years.

Ken.

Ken, if you go to this site, you’ll find all the aviation video’s you need, although there isn’t one for the Hurricane yet. There are 4 video’s of the Lancaster displaying at the BBMF and 2 video’s of the Spitfire also displaying at the BBMF.

Where it says “keywords”, just type in “Lancaster” etc. and it will bring them up. You can also watch video’s of the Budapest air race which is truly awesome and with an equally awesome sound track and if so inclined you can watch numerous video’s of the brand new double-deck Airbus A380 performing air tests out of Toulouse before delivery to its first customer.

Hope you find the site interesting :smiley: .

This video clip is one of my favourites. A 747 attempting to land in a 30 knot crosswind …

:open_mouth: