Cheering up Robroy

Having heard about Robroy’s unfortunate Sunday Busman’s Holiday, the Nodding Donkey thought to that some pictures of Ron’s favourite planes might cheer him up. Please note, that the Donkey, selflessly, spend over five (5) hours on the beach, watching planes, taking these photos.

You’re welcome.

Wow!
Cheers for that ND, where was this?
I love looking at old WW2 planes, but I’m not so up on the modern stuff though.
I recognise the Red Arrows Hawks obviously,but what is the plane adorned in the Union Flag?

I once saw a Spitfire fly over my home town during a carnival, a ■■■■ awesome sight it was . :open_mouth: ,.I was totally engrossed.
I have no connection with RAF,.I obviously wasn’t around in WW2 :smiley: ,.but when it flew over I got a pang of emotion come over me, it sounds daft, but I could not explain it,.and not at all like me…Must be a patriotism throwback locked away in my swede somewhere. :smiley:

Always wanted to see a Lanc in flight…and I’m getting my wish soon.
Cheers again mate.

This was Sunday, in Swansea. It’s the Bi-Annual Airshow. The Swansea Bay is a natural Amphitheatre for this kind of thing, and this year, as luck would have it, the tide was out, which leaves a vast dried out area which is perfect for taking photos’ as you are almost under the flight path where some make the turn to approach the viewing area side on, with the sun just behind you.

The modern jet is the Typhoon. An awesome piece of kit, and whilst it is hard to beat the sound of the Merlins, the sound of the Typhoon coming round and hitting the afterburners, is equally spine tingling.

WWII you say, unfortunately I could not get quite close enough to the flight area that the Mustang and the Spitfires used, to get good enough photos. I did get one of it’s underside, and a distant picture of on of the crates that disabled the Bismarck… :smiley:

Rob, I can’t reply to PM, but send me an emil, and I’ll send you a few pics, if you want.

If you’re on Teesside, watch out for low-flying spitfires in Thornaby :laughing:

Zac_A:
If you’re on Teesside, watch out for low-flying spitfires in Thornaby :laughing:

There is one of those …is it near Salisbury somewhere?, on the side of the road near a park.

Replicas…obvs :smiley: , like the ‘gate guards’ outside the old Battle of Britain station at Biggin Hill.

robroy:
what is the plane adorned in the Union Flag?

Eurofighter Typhoon
images.app.goo.gl/xqubqNApY6vivvMd9

robroy:

Zac_A:
There is one of those …is it near Salisbury somewhere?, on the side of the road near a park.

Replicas…obvs :smiley: , like the ‘gate guards’ outside the old Battle of Britain station at Biggin Hill.

That particular one is on a roundabout in Thornaby-on-Tees, very close to Bader Avenue, the local school also called Bader primary.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Thornaby

robroy:
Wow!
I recognise the Red Arrows Hawks obviously,but what is the plane adorned in the Union Flag?

I once saw a Spitfire fly over my home town during a carnival, a [zb] awesome sight it was . :open_mouth: ,.I was totally engrossed.
I have no connection with RAF,.I obviously wasn’t around in WW2 :smiley: ,.but when it flew over I got a pang of emotion come over me, it sounds daft, but I could not explain it,.and not at all like me…Must be a patriotism throwback locked away in my swede somewhere. :smiley:

Cheers again mate.

Know what you mean, whenever I see or hear any of the planes in the Battle of Britain Memorial flight, I’m choking up. Imagine the scene a few years back when the only two airworthy Lancasters were here, I went up on the hills above Holmfirth and watched them come down the Holme Valley, flying quite low. I was the big lad with an even bigger grin, and tears rolling down his ugly face.

Going through them, I took nearly 900 shots on Sunday. Most of them are bin material, but some came out quite nice.

robroy:
Wow!

I once saw a Spitfire fly over my home town during a carnival, a [zb] awesome sight it was . :open_mouth: ,.I was totally engrossed.

Cheers again mate.

Imagine a back seat jaunt in this kite.youtube.com/watch?v=kT7qrYi … 5pbmdzYnkg

My father and his crew mates with their Wellington

I’ve always had a penchant for apex predators, whether that be a shark, a lion, a submarine or a fighter aircraft. I find something so single minded and with only one purpose fascinating.

Those are some nice shots Moaster. Particularly like the Red Arrows one, and the jet on the afterburner.

Last two ones, these are the Typhoon coming up from a long dive over the bay, coming towards me, before turning and hitting the afterburners for a pass in front of the main viewing area.

53018613190_b71bcfbc19.jpg

53017654292_5a5bdd68c0.jpg

the nodding donkey:
Having heard about Robroy’s unfortunate Sunday Busman’s Holiday, the Nodding Donkey thought to that some pictures of Ron’s favourite planes might cheer him up. Please note, that the Donkey, selflessly, spend over five (5) hours on the beach, watching planes, taking these photos.

You’re welcome.

Was this Falmouth Armed Forces Day? If so cracking day stood on the same beach but saw no nodding donkey! :wink:

the nodding donkey:
Those are some nice shots Moaster. Particularly like the Red Arrows one, and the jet on the afterburner.

The afterburner one was taken about seven years ago, it’s a Sukhoi belonging to the Ukrainian air force. The pilot who flew this display retired but subsequently reenlisted when Putin kicked off. He was sadly shot down and killed over Kiev.

I took those (and hundreds of others) at RIAT at RAF Fairford. It’s my annual pilgrimage. We book a camp site right at the end of the runway on the Friday and get ■■■■■■ up watching then fly over. On the Saturday we go in and watch the displays (whilst getting ■■■■■■■ and on the Sunday we go in to look at the static displays which is a full day job.

fodenway:

robroy:
Wow!

Cheers again mate.

Know what you mean, whenever I see or hear any of the planes in the Battle of Britain Memorial flight, I’m choking up. Imagine the scene a few years back when the only two airworthy Lancasters were here, I went up on the hills above Holmfirth and watched them come down the Holme Valley, flying quite low. I was the big lad with an even bigger grin, and tears rolling down his ugly face.

i saw the 2 Lanc’s flying over Lincoln…a truly awesome sight!

carryfast-yeti:
i saw the 2 Lanc’s flying over Lincoln…a truly awesome sight!

Taken from my garden. Not the best picture but I had no idea that they were coming over. I heard the unmistakable sound and dashed outside and quickly snapped this with my phone camera.