The snow debate

well not really a debate but i thought i would share this with everyone,remember the chaos the white stuff caused only a couple of months ago,well a friend of mine in the states sent me this,now thats snow!!!.. :grimacing:

Snow is piling up for neighbors along Fargo’s 51st Avenue South. Photo by Heidi Shaffer /

The east coast has taken a beating too, it’s been one storm after another up there. I live a couple of hundred miles north of Fargo, we’ve had more or less the same amount of snow at home, it’s still snowing today with a fair bit more to come too :cry:

Here’s a picture of a delivery I went to in Chicago a couple of weeks ago, this lot all came down overnight :open_mouth:

This next one was in Idaho, thankfully they’d cleared the road, but the pile on the shoulder was about 6’ high, glad I wasn’t around when it was falling out of the sky :wink:

This was the Fargo Flying J a couple of years back… then everywhere flooded when it melted.
The ice flo’s in the rivers jam the whole place up which doesn’t help either.

No sale by mick flew, on Flickr

The wife here just West of Fargo… blooming cold I tell ya.

Drifts by mick flew, on Flickr

and yet in all the pics the roads are clear!

We have had some snow here today

Scarab:
and yet in all the pics the roads are clear!

That’s not always the case

Most of the time they wait for the storm to pass, then they send out the snow clearing mob and get everything sorted, it makes sense really, when they’re having a big storm it’s best to be parked up anyway, that’s part of the problem over there, everyone tries to carry on as normal :wink:

Hi all.Don’t worry it’s not only the North America that’s still having snow,we’ve just had about 8ins dumped this evening so the winter is not finished by a long way here.Mike :wink:

hutpik:
Hi all.Don’t worry it’s not only the North America that’s still having snow,we’ve just had about 8ins dumped this evening so the winter is not finished by a long way here.Mike :wink:

When does it all stop up your way Mike? We get snow right into April, not much that late in the season, but the odd storm here and there :wink:

Hi NMM.It varies each year,but on average it’s until the end of April,sometimes start of May.This winter we haven’t had so much snow,maybe 1.5meters but they say it’s been a bit colder than normal,lots of weeks with min 30 to40c,but hey,if you choose to live above the Arctic Circle you expect it to be fresh. :wink:
Personally i think it’s quite moderate here in the winter compared to some parts of Canada where i lived and worked.Northern Quebec,N.W.T,Manitoba and Yukon can be bloody chilly. :open_mouth:
Now is the best time for snowmobiling here as the days are staying light longer and the temp is warm,zero to min 10c. :grimacing:
Just been out plowing the road with my quad.Life is fun.Take care and watch out for ice,now is a crap time with the warm\cold days as you well know.Take care.Mike

newmercman:
The east coast has taken a beating too, it’s been one storm after another up there. I live a couple of hundred miles north of Fargo, we’ve had more or less the same amount of snow at home, it’s still snowing today with a fair bit more to come too :cry:

But that’s proper snow - dry, compacted, clean snow.

You see you bloody foreigners just do not understand the problems we Brits have to overcome
with an inch of slush. :unamused: :grimacing:

Stan

North America? Is that Carryfast I see riding over the horizon on his donkey?

newmercman:
Most of the time they wait for the storm to pass, then they send out the snow clearing mob and get everything sorted, it makes sense really, when they’re having a big storm it’s best to be parked up anyway, that’s part of the problem over there, everyone tries to carry on as normal :wink:

But there’s a big difference between a big storm US, Canadian or Scandinavian style and a big storm UK style, or more to the point English style. Whilst an inch of slush can cause problems just the shear thought of 6 inches of snow sends the country into a deep depression. Anyway we’d know well in advance that 6ft of snow was on it’s way as the tv stations and newspapers ram it down our throats that a big storm with the possibility of 3 inches of snow is possible for days.

As for carrying on as normal I think a lot of that has to do with British stoicism (or arrogance if you prefer), in that we can do anything and everything, when plainly, we can’t. But that loaf of bread, carton of milk, easter egg has to be delivered in the depths of January. :stuck_out_tongue:

Stan