The old M10

Hi people…Now the M10 has been reclassified into an "A"Road, does anyone know what will happen to the old hard shoulder? Just wondering as with a bit of digging on the side to widen it, or paint some chevrons or whatever, can make a new layby parking area?

Or are they just going to leave as it is? - Was thinking of dropping the highways an e-mail but ask here if anyone is in the know :wink:

Cheers

Stu

I’ve not been along it for a week or two but certainly very recently it was still signed as the M10 when heading out of St.Albans, it disappeared from being heading in towards St.Albans a few months ago.

Just found out that it officially stopped being the M10 on May 1st here

There is a sign saying A414 formerly M10 heading toward M1 now.

on the the day they reclassified it to a a road,i saw a chap on a push bike on the hard shoulder peddling hell for leather heading towards hemel.

Why the change?

The old M10 used to be little more than a long slip road onto the M1, they’ve re-aligned it at the junction now so it is possible to travel along the A414 from St.Albans to Hemel without using motorway. This has opened it up to previously prohibited traffic.

just in case you would like to why

highways.gov.uk/news/pressre … eid=173152

Thanks for posting the links, guys. :sunglasses:

I used to use the M10 a lot, but haven’t for about six weeks now - I’d have got a bit of a surprise without this thread!

It’s also interesting to know that it’s been around since 1959 - it always seemed to me to be a new motorway, just half started.

I often wondered if they were going to extend it and if so, where to.

I’m sorry that now its days as a motorway are finished! :unamused: :frowning:

try this link for motorway/road info:

cbrd.co.uk/motorway/m10/

you could email them the question as well.

Speaking of half finished motorways… How long have we been waiting for the M74 to be completed? :laughing:

Steve-o:
Speaking of half finished motorways… How long have we been waiting for the M74 to be completed? :laughing:

try this:
cbrd.co.uk/futures/scheme.php?id=16
or this:
transportscotland.gov.uk/pro … ompletion/

let me be specific here.I AM NOT AN ANORAK.

seriously,i cant wait for the latter to be finished. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Steve-o:

It can wait for you lot to achieve your long-awaited independence; then you can pay for it yerselves with all that oil money you’re supposed to have! :grimacing:

The old M10 has beed designated a CLEARWAY.We have been told to treat all vehicles under the ‘2 hour rule’ which means,if abandoned,it gets an ‘aware sticker’ then two hours later,it gets lifted.A truck having a daily rest,would get the same treatment.A truck having a 45 min break,can only be moved on by Police,if im correct.

The M10 was originally the beginning of the North Orbital Route - the precursor of the M25