Roadworks, ever extending saga

Are they planning to take over the southern section of the M1 slowly but surley?! Southbound extended to before gate 13 now… not too bothered as theres nothing i can do about it, but, does anyone know why they are doing stuff with the banks? Is it literally a case of, as the sign says, “Carridgeway improvments” or are they planning anything for the future, like running on the hardshoulder (that’s incedentally taking about a million and one years to finish on the M6?)

Just curious, as they are due to be starting work on the Catthorpe Viaduct soon too, well, according to the board, Monday just gone (12th)

Cheers!

Stu :smiley:

Yeah they are doing it for hard shoulder running.

i think they are adding a 4th lane from 13 down to 10a at luton to link up with the other 4 lane bit from 10a down to the m25 that took years to do aswell.

yep gonna be 4 lanes when its done…

and the highways agency bought up loads a houses close to the road for the scheme costing millions!! and guess what… they didnt need to buy them!! more wasted money :imp:

Problem is no matter how many lanes they have there’ll always be a bottleneck that’ll snarl it up :confused:

Hmm had a feeling it was widening/HS running. Although junction 11 is going to be interesting with the huge brick walls either side of the carridgeway?! But just getting to the point of doing the same trip everyday i wanna just park up and cry after the same muppets dosing around with their speed :cry: :wink:

Although didn’t know the HA had bought houses to demolish, but like Grayham said, no matter how much you add funky lights etc… you’ll still get jams, its going to be exactly the same on the M6 when they open all that up again…forgot what it was like now driving in normal lanes there :unamused: :laughing:

M1 will have hard shoulder running from J10-13.The HA bought properties at a cost of 8million and sold them for 11million.Hardly a waste of money!!

I have a bin in my kitchen which always seems to be full. If I put an extra bin in there I have no doubt that it too would always be full.

Ergo, putting extra lanes on a motorway will just create extra, full lanes.
Lane discipline is what needs addressing, not throwing money into extra lanes.

Slightly off topic, but I always wonder if the 2 or 3 years of disruption we put up with during these widening exercises is actually worth the 20 seconds or so advantage gained once they’re finished?

I think Maoster’s comment on lane discipline is spot on.After spending last eight monthstravelling from Luton to South Mimms daily,the newly widened M1 J10-6A might has well stayed three lanes.The majority of car/van drivers seem to sit in lanes 3 and 4,causing so much bunching,that at times lane 4 can be nearly stopped with lanes 1 and 2 travelling at 60mph.There are also a small minority of truck driver that tend to stay in lane 2 when lane one is empty.Not sure why.