M1 1965

loads of shots of 1960’s wagons on the M1 and A-roads bit of road rage at the 3 minute mark.
britishpathe.com/record.php?id=1840

And not a foreign lorry in sight !!

Just goes to show,pratts that sit in the middle lane are nothing new!
Having said that,the BMW lane was unheard of back then!

use a name:
loads of shots of 1960’s wagons on the M1 and A-roads bit of road rage at the 3 minute mark.
britishpathe.com/record.php?id=1840

That has taken me well back.Chris,s Cafe at Radnage.Spent a few hours in there in the sixties.Nearly recaptured my lost youth.Many thanks for that.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

recall my dad saying when the M1 opened his firm “westminster transport” they mostly ran O type bedfords told their drivers they were not to use the M1 because of the cost of recovery if they broke down and if they did they would have to pay the costs themselves what a laugh they were only on about 2 bob a week

ubym344:
recall my dad saying when the M1 opened his firm “westminster transport” they mostly ran O type bedfords told their drivers they were not to use the M1 because of the cost of recovery if they broke down and if they did they would have to pay the costs themselves what a laugh they were only on about 2 bob a week

Come off it.They must have been on at least half a crown.Talking about that when the first Severn Bridge opened,the fee for a lorry was half a crown.Then when decimal currency was introduced,it became 12 1/2 pence.Big shortage of halfpennies so it was reduced to 12p.Another bit of boring infomation. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

ubym344:

When I was driving, only seven years ago, some of our owner drivers used to use the A444 and A5 for trips from Ashbourne to places such as Lutterworth or Rugby as if they broke down the recovery would cost more than the wagon and load were worth. To be honest the time difference was only a few minutes, the old roads were actually faster when the fuel blockades were on!!

Pete.

Don’t suppose there’s any Tarmac wagons on that site is there ?

I’ve seen the one of the eight legger ergo tipping into a barber green but can’t see any others.

My dad drove for whitwick granite company Coalville Leicestershire until 1966 then was a weighbridge clerk until he retired in 1977.In 1964 the company bought about 12 commer two stroke four wheeler tippers with very distinctive medal bodies.Licence number TNH265-276 I can see one of these fine trucks blasting its way along the M1 on this movie bought back lots of memories…the commer ts3 engine pulled at 14 ton gross around 18 miles per gallon.They lasted until around 1969 I think.