The New Guy From Glasgow Says

Thanks for the welcome guys…Here is a wee bit about me…Class 1 licence for 29 yrs…My first job was driving a wee leyland unit, crash gearbox, pulling a very short single axle trailer,and let me tell you that is the hardest trailer i have ever had to reverse.

Moved on to Daf 280 and then a 330 sleeper cab and i was the happiest wee guy in the world, i had made it i was real trucker, Hauling Gas pipes from Leith to Bristol Sleepin in the cab in real truck stops for a few hours, then back on the road.No tacho in those,Ahhh the good old days.
Been on the grab lorries for a good few years now working in Glasgow furthest south i go now is Baillieston…Pic below give me wave when you pass…

Nice looking wagon you got there,crash gear boxes God you must be old. What do you think of the driver C.P.C. Welcome aboard.

Crash gearboxes… Are they these ones which aren’t synchronized between the gears and you have to put to neutral, push accelerator for a while, then you can put next gear?

I drove once such vehicle!!! (hem… Only for few hundred meters actually, but IT WAS an adventure)

orys:
Crash gearboxes… Are they these ones which aren’t synchronized between the gears and you have to put to neutral, push accelerator for a while, then you can put next gear?

I drove once such vehicle!!! (hem… Only for few hundred meters actually, but IT WAS an adventure)

Hi orys, yes mate, the ‘crash’ gearbox has no synchros, that’s just a drivers’ slang word for that kind of gearbox.

You’re also right about “push accelerator for a while” too, but the slang word for that is to ‘blip’ the accelerator (= ‘throttle.’)

There’s normal English, then there’s English ‘driver slang,’ which is really difficult, so I hope I’ve helped a you bit. :smiley:

dieseldave:
Hi orys, yes mate, the ‘crash’ gearbox has no synchros, that’s just a drivers’ slang word for that kind of gearbox.

You’re also right about “push accelerator for a while” too, but the slang word for that is to ‘blip’ the accelerator (= ‘throttle.’)

There’s normal English, then there’s English ‘driver slang,’ which is really difficult, so I hope I’ve helped a you bit. :smiley:

Yeah, thanks.

Trucknet is the best English lesson I ever had and it’s not only Trucker’s English :wink:

crash = constant mesh
Eaton twin spliter or Fuller roadranger or Spicer or at its worse David Brown

Hi New Guy From Glasgow, is that your lorry usually parked in this wee lay-be here?

maps.google.pl/maps?f=q&source=s … 14,0,5.11

No its not me but the guy works beside me… :laughing:

So say hello to him from me, as I pass this place quite often when I had some jobs in EK or Strathaven area :slight_smile:

orys:
So say hello to him from me, as I pass this place quite often when I had some jobs in EK or Strathaven area :slight_smile:

I will do that for you orys…