Stupid gearbox question

I’ve finally taken the plunge and applied for my C provisional and when it eventually arrives hopefully will have saved up enough to start training.

Pretty much noone seems to have manual training vehicles anymore and while I think taking the test in an automatic would be advantageous it would have been good to have as part of the training some time with a manual box.

It seems that the most common manual trucks in operation are either 4 over 4 or slap over configuration. Would I be right in my assumption that these are synchromesh boxes and that crash boxes are really only seen in the uk in much older trucks or heavy haulage etc?

jonathan_dyane:
I’ve finally taken the plunge and applied for my C provisional and when it eventually arrives hopefully will have saved up enough to start training.

Pretty much noone seems to have manual training vehicles anymore and while I think taking the test in an automatic would be advantageous it would have been good to have as part of the training some time with a manual box.

It seems that the most common manual trucks in operation are either 4 over 4 or slap over configuration. Would I be right in my assumption that these are synchromesh boxes and that crash boxes are really only seen in the uk in much older trucks or heavy haulage etc?

There are so many different types of gearbox and you get to train in just one of them
What happens afterwards is that you ask another how a particular gearbox works when you come across an unfamiliar one

If you can drive a manual car you can use a splitter or range change without problem, you are just repeating it more often, a month down the line you will laugh at this post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonathan_dyane:

Doubtful you’ll find a crash box in anything dated within the past 20 years over here. Most 18 tonner manuals are just a straight 6 config box similar to your car. It’s only when you start getting up the weight range do you get the 4 over 4s either slap across or with a range change. You don’t tend to find splits on rigids unless it’s an artic-spec cab. But 90% of trucks are auto these days anyway.

Cheers guys, I’m probably overthinking!