the mail says

the editor’s views on this storyhere

ANSWERS IN COMPANIES OWN HANDS

talk about being caught napping.
police have revealed that lorry drivers are being repeatdly targeted by thieves while they sleep in laybys near burton.

goods worth thousand’s of pounds have been taken from HGV trailers as their drivers park up for the night .
it cannot be doubted that this is the work of proffesional criminal gangs.

just as the opening of the new a50 has attracted scores of national and international companies to this area keen to take advantage of east staffs and south derbyshire’s central location and excellent transport links with the rest of the country for distribution purposes,so it seems,have the criminal also spotted that there is a lot of lucrative merchandise passing through.
it is hard to know what to do.often thes drivers do not even realise they have been robbed until they arrive at there destination.even if they discoverthe crime when they awake,the culprits have long gone.

there is not a great deal the police can do either.save for patroling laybys overnight,we all konw there resources are limited as it is.
the freight haluage industry has had a hard time of late with fuel prices and unfair increases in competition form abroad, as well as dealing everyday with our nations crumbling road network.

crime is the last thing they need,but perhaps the only solution lies with in the industry itself

increased security measures to make trailers harder to break into would undoubltedly also make life more difficult for drivers buti tis hard to see any other way of detering thieves

crime is the last thing they need,but perhaps the only solution lies with in the industry itself

increased security measures to make trailers harder to break into would undoubltedly also make life more difficult for drivers buti tis hard to see any other way of detering thieves

they where doing so well until this last paragraph :cry:

between the m6 and the m1 on this road there is 1 service area. this area holds spaces for 6 trucks. so where are the other hundred or so supposed to go.

ok you have the salt box cafe in hatton but for how long, the residents want the road down graded to 7.5 tonsstory here. you have the ypass garage on the a38 (15/20 trucks if your lucky) and the truckstop on the a515 near sudbury( about a mile of the a50 holds no more then 20 trucks).

that still leaves alot of trucks with know where to park. so i think the burton mail need to look at the bigger picture.

and as for the police patrols i can’t remember the last time i seen a police car down there at night.

just a little rant
:smiling_imp:
jon

I know where your coming from JB,until it hurts the insurance companies not a thing will be done,been there done it,the bottom line is if they do not wake me up who cares. :confused: :confused:

The problem with making trailers more theft proof is then they will target the driver. I’d rather have the stuff taken and be left unharmed.
The real solution is to have proper parking places, but that’ll take money and land, both in short supply for anything to do with haulage.

Inspector Andy Mason of Uttoxeter Police said officers had been carrying out regular checks of A50 laybys, but truck drivers needed to be more vigilant.

Does he mean stay awake all night? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Inspector Mason said drivers should try to park in areas that were busy and well-lit.

I bet he would be on to his local authority if , just outside his bedroom it was busy & well lit while he was trying to sleep :imp: :imp:
very conducive to quality sleep I don’t think

“Drivers should be extra vigilant and try to avoid isolated lay-bys,” he said.

Can he tell us where we can ALL park? I bet his local council don’t provide parking that reflects the amount of trucks delivering into the area

“Haulage companies should consider fitting alarms and drivers should be prepared to be woken up at any time in order to co-operate with the police.”

And then after 9 hours entertaining the local constabulary, do a days work :imp: :imp: :imp: