Just reading the new trucking

and have just read that the old bill are operating a new r series scania in the midlands to video into drivers cabs to try and catch them on phones or doing things they shouldn’t

crazy stuff

They obviously have far too much money to spend and too much time on their hands if they can afford to trundle around in an unmarked, unladen HGV in order to see onto other truck cabs.

Dont they have any criminals in the West Midlands anymore?

Hombre:
They obviously have far too much money to spend and too much time on their hands if they can afford to trundle around in an unmarked, unladen HGV in order to see onto other truck cabs.

Completely agree with Hombre, well said.

Hombre:

I see quite a few lorry drivers with phones to their ears. And aren’t people who are driving with phones to their ears classed as “criminals”? - They shouldn’t be on the road. Same goes for any car driver.

i can’t see what the problem is with people using mobile phones whilst driving. if someone uses one on a busy roundabout, then they won’t be in control, but if they use one on a long open stretch of motorway, then they will be fine. so what’s the point of this police truck.
do they have an o’licence? it’s not for hire, but it’s definately for reward, kerching.

was having a cup of tea and a sandwich at berwick the other day,when a chap in a blinged up scanny reckons he got pulled off this “old bill scania”.i think he was full of bs,and had just read the story.anyway,it aint hgv drivers the polis need to be to worried about,but if they look at women car drivers on their way to and from work,they would solve all of the budget crisis in all of britains police forces in fines alone.

think there was a big post on this recently

apologies if so, I did look back a couple of pages and didn’t see anything

Lots here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53283

limeyphil:
i can’t see what the problem is with people using mobile phones whilst driving. if someone uses one on a busy roundabout, then they won’t be in control, but if they use one on a long open stretch of motorway, then they will be fine.

100% dissagree with u there mate. Tell that to Trinity Taylors family, she was a 23 year old ■■■■■■■ the way to a new job in Basingstoke when the que on the slip road exiting the motorway backed up onto lane 1 of the M3 itself, it was only a 7.5T lorry but he went straight into the back of her. she was at a standstill and he was going 58mph fully laden aswell. Driver was texting not phoning but the same principal applies in my opinion. How many times have u been in a day dream, seen brake lights come on but not register how hard or viscious they are braking, i no i have a couple of times :blush: This would be even worse when talking on the phone with your mind wondering whether to have lamb or beef when u get in!!! Just my opinion mate :grimacing:

That is the problem wasting money on a trucking magazine to read what was posted on these forums a month earlier :stuck_out_tongue:

Even a weekly issue Commercial Motor or Motor Transport is old news when we get it. I may suggest the other trucking titles just take their printed copy from these pages anyway.

I have seen my own and other TN users words printed in the free Truckstop News

limeyphil:
i can’t see what the problem is with people using mobile phones whilst driving.

FarnboroughBoy11:
100% dissagree with u there mate.

As the well known champion of SAFE driving (which some call the holier than thou brigade :wink: ) on this site I will add my two penny worth…

The first member refers to the planned and safe use of phones (or whatever) when driving and IF the majority of drivers did that then this law would not be there in the first place

The second member refers to that majority who cannot do it safely.

In effect, they are both correct.

It’s like speed limits - they are made to fit the worst drivers.

These laws are sometimes a hinderance to those safe professional/advanced/very good drivers who are able to safely do things but are hindered by laws that protect the innocent against those that cannot.

The answer, but not a vote winner for any Govt, is to have compulsory assessments for all drivers and forcibly train those bad ones.

ROG:
The answer, but not a vote winner for any Govt, is to have compulsory assessments for all drivers and forcibly train those bad ones.

That sounds like another money making scam in the making :neutral_face:

This is easy dont use your phone we have all been told, I used to use mine but only to say yes no or take a short instruction,I would never discuss the night before or the latest in the comercial motor,I now let it ring and call back later

depablo:

ROG:

That sounds like another money making scam in the making :neutral_face:

I would not regard proper on-road driver assessing and, if necessary, training to keep the majority safe as a money making scam - unlike speed cameras etc - but that is probably a discussion for a new thread… :smiley:

ROG:

limeyphil:
i can’t see what the problem is with people using mobile phones whilst driving.

FarnboroughBoy11:
100% dissagree with u there mate.

As the well known champion of SAFE driving (which some call the holier than thou brigade :wink: ) on this site I will add my two penny worth…

The first member refers to the planned and safe use of phones (or whatever) when driving and IF the majority of drivers did that then this law would not be there in the first place

The second member refers to that majority who cannot do it safely.

In effect, they are both correct.

It’s like speed limits - they are made to fit the worst drivers.

These laws are sometimes a hinderance to those safe professional/advanced/very good drivers who are able to safely do things but are hindered by laws that protect the innocent against those that cannot…

I was getting really worried there Rog, :blush: I found myself agreeing with your every sentiment. :open_mouth: but then you went on to say

ROG:

No No No. :angry:

I’ve drank tea, chatted on the phone, and had a sarni, but like an earlier poster said when the times right. I see drivers day in day out that it takes them every bit of concentration to carry out even the simplest of manoeuvre.

As I see it there are folk who can drive, and think about the road ahead and at the other end of the scale there are those who shouldn’t have a licence for a pram.

Old fashioned policing could have handled this, a little bit of discretion, if your flying round a roundabout supping tea, and reading the map then fair enough.

You see Rog, you love training like I love backfilling holes :open_mouth: , it pays the bills. But never forget the old adage “you can’t educate pork”

This is just lazy policing for number crunches and revenue

Why use a stick (policing) when you can use a carrot - ongoing assessment and, if necessary, training along with lower insurance premiums or some other form of money saving measure

Better to educate to prevent something happening than to prosecute and deal with the aftermath

ROG:
Why use a stick (policing) when you can use a carrot - ongoing assessment and, if necessary, training along with lower insurance premiums or some other form of money saving measure

For all the benefits there is always a monetry cost for the ordinary person :sunglasses:

Better to educate to prevent something happening than to prosecute and deal with the aftermath

How much of this so called education can one take in :grimacing:

Could be embarasing if you like to drive in stockings supenders and high heels

Could be embarasing if you like to drive in stockings supenders and high heels