The End Of The World Is Nigh

Don’t forget tomorrow is the last day you can split your breaks into 3x15 or 20+25…Therefore we all have a moral obligation to do so, in order that we may mark the passing of the law which has ruled our every waking minute for so long, namely 3820/25.

Farewell my old friend - and your sidekick, the Split Shift in it’s current, usable form. You will be missed.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hhmmm… How will this effect the aerodynamic properties of the chart as it goes out the window.■■? :laughing: :wink:

Ahhhhhhhh The 16 hour day with 8 off will now become a distant memory :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Goodbye old friend :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

■■■■■■■ meddling euro[zb]

Yes for most of us this is a very sad week I agree, but for some it won’t make any difference :confused:

How many drivers do you know (mainly the older generation) that haven’t taken any notice of the WTD since it’s birth 2 years ago? I can see this piece of legislation getting the same “I’m too long in the tooth to change my ways now” treatment. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

No offence to any members on here, as I’m sure we are all too professional to think like this :wink:

I quite often used to take an hour break as i then had the option to use that towards doing a split daily rest…(especially if i had an RDC that day to make up the other breaks)…Now if i take an hour break i will no doubt get pulled up on it and be called a lazy so and so and cant even use the split daily rest excuse anymore

And i havent quite got my head around the new split rest yet…It just seems pointless that I can split it 3hrs + 9hrs :confused: But i can have 9hrs a night off now 3 times a week and then i have to take 13hrs off the rest…a) why would i want to reduce my 13’s to a split 12 and …b) can u do that …is it legal…“[zb] it” im confused now :imp:

Reef:
And i havent quite got my head around the new split rest yet…It just seems pointless that I can split it 3hrs + 9hrs :confused: But i can have 9hrs a night off now 3 times a week and then i have to take 13hrs off the rest…a) why would i want to reduce my 13’s to a split 12

Because if you have had a 3 hour period during the shift you will be able to take a nine hour rest period at the end of the shift even when you have already used your 3 nines. Under the fast disappearing current rules you have always been able to split it 9 + 3, in1 or 2 periods, if you wanted to, it didn’t have to be 8 + 4, in one or two periods. I’ll be using the 3+9 split a lot over the coming weeks. The change to that rule isn’t going to affect me as much as it would have done a couple of years ago. It’s the must have a full 45 hour weekly rest at least once every two weeks that is going to affect me the most, I used to go for months with never taking a full weekly rest but no sadly more, at least the 24 hour weekly rest at home is a small compensation.

One small thing to note. The need to compensate for reduced daily rest periods disappears on Wednesday but if you reduced any between then and last Monday, 2nd April, they will still need the reduced hours compensating.

Reef:
And i havent quite got my head around the new split rest yet…It just seems pointless that I can split it 3hrs + 9hrs :confused: But i can have 9hrs a night off now 3 times a week

My understanding of it is that if you do 3+9 it doesn’t count as a reduced rest and therefore you can should you wish do it for all six shifts in a week (subject of course to all the other rules regarding driving hours, working time, etc.)

Paul

repton:

Reef:
And i havent quite got my head around the new split rest yet…It just seems pointless that I can split it 3hrs + 9hrs :confused: But i can have 9hrs a night off now 3 times a week

My understanding of it is that if you do 3+9 it doesn’t count as a reduced rest and therefore you can should you wish do it for all six shifts in a week

Correct, that bit isn’t changing. A split rest isn’t a reduced rest, it is in fact an increased rest, exactly as it is under the current system.

Another thing, going back to what Coffeeholic has just posted about having to compensate for reduced rest taken this week before Wednesday…

Why change the rules midweek :exclamation: :question: :question: :question: :confused: :confused: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Oh great so then the Office muppets win then coz all along they’ve assumed that were only meant to have 9 hrs off a night…And thats just great coz i…hate going home…love working …hate resting …love being tired …hate sleeping…Please explain wtf is going on…

so let me see if i got this right
a 41/2 hour break can only be split into 2 as long as its a 15 + 30 (or longer)
and split daily rest can only be split into 2 of at least a 3+9
the 11hr daily rest stays the same exept i can do 3 9’s a week

and i can’t do 6 24’s in a row i can only imagine the response im gonna get if i say im parking up for 2 days and his load will just have to wait

This could be the beginning again.
Split shifts equals tired drivers! Should be a minimum of 12 hours rests between shifts.
45 hour weekly rests should be every week not reduced to 24 in between.
worst thing now is you do not have to pay back reduced rests.
I work to live not live to work.
Head down.

God only knows how i’m gonna get over the fact that split shifts are going !! (or rather any practical gain from them) I can’t wait for the 9 hours rest to be scrapped to in favour of a minimun 11 hours rest.

is there anything to say you cant have a hour, ive used 3x15 , 20-25 but to me now it would be easier just to have a hour .
could your firm insist you have only a 45 , or are you within your rights to say you prefer a hr as its easier than messing about with 15,s ,30,s etc

The 45 Minutes rest after 4.5 hrs is still the same and is the minimum. The only change here is that you must have at least 15 minutes followed by at least 30 minutes. Instead of splitting it into 3 x 15 or 20 + 25.

The actual driving time has remained the same 9 hours per day with 2 x 10’s and is still limited to 90 hours per fortnight.

Daily Rest is normally 11 hours but can be reduced 3 times a week to 9 hours. From tomorrow there is no need to compensate before the end of the following week.

Split Rest. Instead of 4 + 8 = 12 it is now 3 + 9 = 12 but must be taken in 2 periods instead of 3.

Weekly Rest. must be 45 hours but can be reduced at home or away to 24 hours. Compensation must be taken before the end of 3rd week.

Double Manned. Instead of a minimum 8 hours it is now raised to 9 hours within a 30 hour period.

Ferry Crossings can now be interupted 2 times but no longer than one hour and the driver must take an 11 hour break and have access to a bed or bunk.

That is my understanding

Think i need to wake up and pay attention !! Doh!! You’re talking about breaks not daily rest periods :blush:

Mike-C:
Think i need to wake up and pay attention !! Doh!! You’re talking about breaks not daily rest periods :blush:

You should get more rest Mike !! :stuck_out_tongue:

but why do the change over in the middle of the week when the tacho week runs mon-sun?

Peirre
confused of yorkshire :confused: :confused:

Wheel Nut:
Weekly Rest. must be 45 hours but can be reduced at home or away to 24 hours. Compensation must be taken before the end of 3rd week.

4th week. It is before the end of the 3rd week FOLLOWING the reduction. For example, the end of the 3rd week following week one is week four. There is no change there, it has been like that under the current rules.

peirre:
but why do the change over in the middle of the week when the tacho week runs mon-sun?

Because it was always intended that the new regulations would come into force exactly one year after they were published, giving everybody one years notice to get ready for them. The regulations were published on Tuesday 11th April 2006, with a few changes coming in on the 1st May 2006, and 1 year from that date lands it on a Wednesday. I guess if they had switched it to this Monday someone would have complained it was less than a year and they didn’t have time to get ready for the changes. Why they couldn’t switch it to next Monday I have no idea.

I’ve got a cunning plan anyway, I’ve taken tomorrow off so when I do start this week it will be under the new regs. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: