Now I have a little more time on my hands :-)

Now that the time consuming Tribunal is over I’ve had the chance to start concentrating on the business more. Just thought that you would like to take a look at the proposed changes in the Drivers Hours Legislation.

The column on the left is the current legislation, the column on the Right the Proposed Changes, where it has deleted in the Right, this just means that the proposed changes were withdrawn or rejected, and therefore the box on the left is being left in place unaltered.

These can be found at dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d … #TopOfPage

There is a lot of reading though :unamused: :unamused:

Hi Davey, glad you got time off now! :slight_smile:

1. “daily rest period” means the daily period during which the driver may freely dispose of his time and covers a “regular daily rest period” or a “reduced daily rest period”.

“regular daily rest period” means any uninterrupted period of rest of at least 12 hours.

“reduced daily rest period” means any uninterrupted period of rest of at least 9 hours but less than 12 hours.

So, if im understanding this right, the proposal is to increase form the current 11 to 12. A good move for safetys sake, not to mention the free time of a driver to do a little more than eat & sleep. So why the hell do they maintain the reduced rest of 9 hours, which gives little time other than eat & sleep? It smacks of a token gesture to me, however they justify it. 12 off aught to be it, its 50% of a day, and sensible I think.

Mal.

Mal, I was about to post along much the same lines after reading it. What about this though:

“In order to try and achieve a balance between the two,
the proposal makes no material alteration to the driving time limits or the rest requirements, except to the extent necessary to rectify internal inconsistencies and to remove complex daily and weekly rest compensation arrangements that, in some cases, will prevent the Regulation from beingcomputable by digital tachographs.”

So because they can’t get the software to work, we’re going to loose the extra time we get if we reduce to 9 hours. That really does a lot for road safety that does.

•Daily & weekly rest (Article 8 & 9) - reductions in daily or weekly rest no longer need to be compensated for.

I wonder if they’ve approached Davey about this :laughing: ?

It will make it simpler but how shattered would you be at the end of the fortninght?

TheBigOne:
It will make it simpler but how shattered would you be at the end of the fortninght?

You need to bear in mind of course that the WTD is being introduced as well, so these ammendments will blend in with them :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Of course they will sir :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

after reading what youve both posted, I can only say Its bizarre!

Mal.

The phrase that springs to mind is the word quagmire :unamused: . No change their then :laughing: .

Typical legislation procuded by desk driving europrats.