Drivers hour's

:question: :confused: : A couple of time’s recently I have worked 15 hours and then parked up only to be told that as I have been stationary/waiting in a RDC for more than 2 hours I could have worked for 16 hours before calling it a day, anybody know the score on this?

In order to extend your hours to a 16 hour spreadover you must have an unbroken 4 hour break in the day followed by 8 at the end of the 16. You can only do this once in every 7 days.

In a word they were ‘half’ right.

Daily rest can be reduced to 8hrs providing that within the working period preceeding it there were at least 4hrs of rest taken in not less than 1hr chunks. In other words, 2 lots 2hrs would work (as would 2 +1+1 etc). Using this method doesn’t eat into your quota of reduced rest periods either so you can do this everyday if you wanted. If you wonder why it doesn’t eat into your 3*reduced rest periods its because you are having 12hrs rest instead of either 11 or the reduced 9

ooh. thats interestting. Has there been a change in the past 2yrs pat as I used to do this regularly and never had a problem getting through the analisers or the ministry.

I looked up the regs as we worked them, which i considered as the holy bible and it states 4 unbroken, but then tey are the rules according to a very strict union company (no names mentioned) :wink:

mmm. I need to look at this again.

My take on this is,ask the numpty in the traffic office if he would work a 16 hour day and see what his reply is.

Ken.

Qhunter:

Daily rest can be reduced to 8hrs providing that within the working period preceeding it there were at least 4hrs of rest taken in not less than 1hr chunks. In other words, 2 lots 2hrs would work (as would 2 +1+1 etc). Using this method doesn’t eat into your quota of reduced rest periods either so you can do this everyday if you wanted. If you wonder why it doesn’t eat into your 3*reduced rest periods its because you are having 12hrs rest instead of either 11 or the reduced 9

As I see it your right!!

…but handy for getting yourself to somewhere with food and showers having spent all afternoon trapped at Felixstowe…

WHO WANTS TO WORK 16 HR DAYS ? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ITS 2004 FOR GODS SAKE… :open_mouth:

It is not 4 unbroken. It is 4 hours but any breaks counting towards this 4 hours must be of no less than one hour. A 45 minute or less break doesn’t count.

you can have total 12 hours rest in a day last period must be eight hours and any two others adding to four hours ie 2hrs +2hrs or 3hrs+ 1hr. example start at 6am and finish at 10pm then rest for 8hrs and back at 6am again

Qhunter:

Split Shift can only be made up with 3 qualifying breaks

The Last Break must be no less than 8 hrs consecutive

The other 2 qualifying breaks must be no less than 1 complete hour, but, between them both add up to 4 complete hours or more.

2+1+1 would not qualify as a split shift as it is made up of 4 periods including 8 hrs at the end of the shift, however, you could reduce your rest to 9 hrs without affecting a 9 hr reduction because you’ve taken 12 hrs rest.

The law changes next year which does away with split shift though, so it’s going to throw a spanner in the works for RDC and container deliveries.

TONY:
WHO WANTS TO WORK 16 HR DAYS ? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ITS 2004 FOR GODS SAKE… :open_mouth:

Anyone on Low wages Tony :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

only Joking mate,
:wink: :wink: :wink:

TONY:

couldn`t agree more :wink:

TONY:

You know when you think about it. it’s not actually 16 hrs, it’s only 12 hours coz you have the 4 hrs in between :wink: :wink: :wink:

Pat Hasler:
You can only do this once in every 7 days.

You can do this every day if you want, up to the maximum 6 days before a weekly rest period. Also no compensation is needed because it isin’t a reduced rest period and you also don’t have to work 16 hours to use it either. For example you could do 3 hours, have 4 hours off, do another 3 hours then take the eight before starting with a fresh card.

Pat Hasler:
In order to extend your hours to a 16 hour spreadover you must have an unbroken 4 hour break in the day followed by 8 at the end of the 16.

Ayeup Coffee you missed this bit as well, (So did I first time round) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It can be broken Pat as long as they are minimums of 1 hr but between them both they total 4 hrs or more :wink: :wink:

Now who keeps saying the Drivers Hours Legislations are Complicated :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Piece of cake eventually :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I didn’t miss it Davey, I just ignored it as you had covered it a couple of posts ago so didn’t see the point in repeating what you had said. :smiley:

You boys could be missing a trick.

Ministry man wanted to know how you could do 5 9 hours daily rests in a week.

He had’nt looked at the 3 hours parked up earlier in the day. 12 hours off in the day no compensation and a sheepish ministry mand.

Its just another way to get the job done. :laughing: