Just a quick one on drivers hours lads plz

hey lads just a quick one, When you do a 15hr shift you can reduce down to 9hrs rest instead of 11hrs rest its right you can reduce this twice aweek yes on both 15hrs shifts if need be ? But can you reduce this down every week you to two 15hr shift or only once a month can you do this and the other 3 weeks of that month you need to take 11hrs rest ?

cheers lads any info would be useful :slight_smile:

15 hours reduce down to 9 hours rest three times a week every week.

Mon 0600 - 2100. 9 hours rest.
Tues 0600 - 2100. 9 hours rest.
Wed 0600 - 2100. 9hours rest.
Thurs 0600 - 1900. 11 hours rest.
Fri 0600 - 1800. Weekly rest of 60 hours.

Personally never had any problems with this pattern but I reckon Tachograph will correct me.

hi mate thanks for the reply i really didnt no you could you could do 3 15hr shifts in one week thanks for tht :slight_smile: also what it the max working time you can do in 1 week plz anyone ? just to clear something up for my own peace of mind

cheers

ste_leeson:
hey lads just a quick one, When you do a 15hr shift you can reduce down to 9hrs rest instead of 11hrs rest its right you can reduce this twice aweek yes on both 15hrs shifts if need be ? But can you reduce this down every week you to two 15hr shift or only once a month can you do this and the other 3 weeks of that month you need to take 11hrs rest ?

cheers lads any info would be useful :slight_smile:

Reading your question I’m not sure if you fully understand the daily rest period requirement, so foregive me if I’m telling you something you already know :wink:

The daily rest period has to be completed within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift, so any time that you do a 15 hour spread-over you will be having a reduced daily rest period because you can only fit 9 hours into the 24 hour period with a 15 hour spread-over.

Lets say you do a 15 hour spread-over from start to end of the shift then have 11 hours off, only 9 of those hours can fit into the 24 hours from the start of shift (15 + 9 = 24 hours) so it’s a 9 hour reduced daily rest period.

You can have 3 reduced daily rest periods between two weekly rest periods, that’s not the same as 3 a week :wink:

You can continue having 3 reduced daily rest periods between two weekly rest periods for as long as you like even if it means having more than 3 reduced daily rest periods in a week.

Example:

• Saturday and Sunday weekly rest period.
  • Monday: 9 hour reduced daily rest period.
  • Tuesday: 9 hour reduced daily rest period.
  • Wednesday: 9 hour reduced daily rest period.
  • Thursday: 24 hour reduced weekly rest period.
  • Friday: 9 hour reduced daily rest period.
  • Saturday: 9 hour reduced daily rest period.
  • Sunday: 9 hour reduced daily rest period.

Here you’ve had 6 reduced daily rest periods in a single fixed week but only 3 between weekly rest periods so it’s legal, but you could not have anymore reduced daily rest periods until you’ve had a new weekly rest period, which would have to be no later than the following Wednesday :wink:

ste_leeson:
hi mate thanks for the reply i really didnt no you could you could do 3 15hr shifts in one week thanks for tht :slight_smile: also what it the max working time you can do in 1 week plz anyone ? just to clear something up for my own peace of mind

cheers

It’s three reduced daily rest periods between two weekly rest periods.

The maximum working time is described in the working time regulations as 60 hours working time in a fixed week (Midnight Sunday to midnight Sunday).

Working time does not include breaks/rest or POA.

tachograph:

ste_leeson:

cheers

It’s three reduced daily rest periods between two weekly rest periods.

The maximum working time is described in the working time regulations as 60 hours working time in a fixed week (Midnight Sunday to midnight Sunday).

Working time does not include breaks/rest or POA.

unless you split ur rest by having a 3hr in one block rest period during your 15 hr duty. but then if your not sure it gets complicated

tachograph cheers for tht mate :slight_smile: ive only been doing this 2 yrs i no the basics and just gettin to grips with the reduced rests n stuff lol so really if i work 13hrs have 11hrs rest thts with in a 24hr period ? and like you sed 15hr shift 9hr rest within 24hr period ? so if i do a 12hr shift ano you only need 9hrs rest but thts only 20hrs in 24 if yu get me ?

ste_leeson:
tachograph cheers for tht mate :slight_smile: ive only been doing this 2 yrs i no the basics and just gettin to grips with the reduced rests n stuff lol so really if i work 13hrs have 11hrs rest thts with in a 24hr period ? and like you sed 15hr shift 9hr rest within 24hr period ? so if i do a 12hr shift ano you only need 9hrs rest but thts only 20hrs in 24 if yu get me ?

A new period of 24 hours starts when you start a new shift, so if you did a 12 hour shift then had a 9 hour reduced daily rest period before restarting work, even though it only amounted to 21 hours it would be the end of that 24 hour period and a new one would start from the start of the next shift.

A new period of 24 hours always begins at the end of a daily or weekly rest period, or the start of the shift if you prefer to see it that way :wink:

Thank you for that info it really has helped just one more question if you don’t mind please, say I start work at 5am n drive 3 hrs thn other work for 1hr drive 1hr and are sat waitin about for 2hrs on p.o.a do I still need my WTD break of 30mins by 11am but I no il only thn have 30mins drivin left befor I need other 30min break is thy rite lol?

Sorry 1hr p.o.a

Technically if you started at 05:00 and did 5 hours driving and other work then did 1 hour on POA you would need to start a 15 minute break by 12:00, but most people hopefully would not in normal circumstances sit on POA for an hour then have a 15 minutes break.

The WTD break for the 6 hour rule is 15 minutes not 30 minutes as many people seem to believe, in the circumstances you’ve described you could have a 45 minute driving break instead of using POA, that would reset your allowed driving time back to 4.5 hours.

Thanyou for your help :slight_smile: