Hi just some questions on hours

hi as you will see im new on here and i would just like a couple of questions answered on driving hours if possible,i passed my test about 8 years ago but my situation changed work wise and i went into something else so i am only just about to start driving.
i know i can do 3 x 9 hour drives and 2 x 10 hours per week and rest is 3 x 9 hours and 2 x 11 hours but how many hours in a shift can i do is it 3 x 13 and 2 x 15 or is it the other way round,a bloke was also on about split rest periods? ive tried reading the hours on directgov site but im not quite understanding it

sorry to sound dumb i know this is something i should already know but i simply just need some pointers
thank you for reading

mr winter

9 hours driving per day, this can be extended to 10 hours twice per week.
rest is 11 hours, but you can reduce this to 9 hours 3 times per week.
you can drive for 56 hours per week, but a maximum of 90 hours in a fortnight.
you can work for six days before taking a minimum of 24 hours off.

thank you for the reply,what about the daily hour limits 13 and 15 hour shifts?
also do i have to sign some kind of form if i am asked to start before 4am? im getting little bits of advice from an agency driver i know but im not exactly sure if he knows as much as he says

mr winter

your 15 hours, and 13 hour spread is made up like this.
24 hours in a day, minus 11 hours rest = 13 hours.
24-9=15 hour day.

as for the WTD/RTD and night working malarky, just ignore it, don’t worry about it. no one really bothers about it.

mr winter:
hi as you will see im new on here and i would just like a couple of questions answered on driving hours if possible,i passed my test about 8 years ago but my situation changed work wise and i went into something else so i am only just about to start driving.
i know i can do 3 x 9 hour drives and 2 x 10 hours per week and rest is 3 x 9 hours and 2 x 11 hours but how many hours in a shift can i do is it 3 x 13 and 2 x 15 or is it the other way round,a bloke was also on about split rest periods? ive tried reading the hours on directgov site but im not quite understanding it

sorry to sound dumb i know this is something i should already know but i simply just need some pointers
thank you for reading

mr winter

forget what you think you know or what you knew when you passed your test.

The rules changed on the 11th April 2007 and are available in full in EC 561/2006 or in a VOSA guidebook GV262/03

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex … 013:EN:PDF

However you are going to have to do 35 hours of classroom training before September 10th 2014 so it would be a good idea to use the first 7 hours on a drivers hours course.

businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … 1111_3.pdf

Another bit of advice, lose the nomenclature and use the official terms, it will only serve to confuse you.

In a period of 24 hours you must take an 11 hour rest period. Example. Start work at 4am you must finish before 5pm

5pm to 4am is 11 hours

You must take 45 minutes break before or upon reaching 4.5hrs driving

Remember there is a difference between a break and a rest. Other work is not POA, & POA is not work.

If you look after the drivers hours regulations, then the rights & wrongs of WTD/RTD will happen naturally :stuck_out_tongue:

A split daily rest must be split in two with the first being at least 3 hrs and the second being at least 9 hrs.
With the 04.00 thing you’re on about if you have a company workforce agreement you can reduce your working hours to 10 and by that I mean working hours but you’ll have to see what agreement you have in place, we have a max shift of 12 hours instead.

A split rest would taking an unbroken 3 hour rest in you day then a 9 overnight this would mean that you haven used a rest reduction, as for shifts your working time is a max 60 hours a week note this is working time as oposed to driving hours So 3 15 hour days and 2 13 hour days are possible between weekley rests as breaks and poa is not counted as work so 71 hours would be ok as long as at least 11 hours where break or poa but remember youe average working hours over a wtd referance period must be 48 hope that helps also driving time and the wtd are calculated on a fixed week where as your weekley rest may be any time clear as mud a

i guess this could be considered as an advert for the DCPC?

bald bloke:
A split daily rest must be split in two with the first being at least 3 hrs and the second being at least 9 hrs.
With the 04.00 thing you’re on about if you have a company workforce agreement you can reduce your working hours to 10 and by that I mean working hours but you’ll have to see what agreement you have in place, we have a max shift of 12 hours instead.

If the night time thing is already in place, then a new boy has to accept it, there is no opt out of the opt out :wink:

xamtex:

Dcpc would be ok if it was set modules for example drivers hours, safe loading practise, safed, but its not i have 3 days done one wa on telematics which counts wast of time in its current format

Omfg, how on the Hell are you supposed to know all that, i like limyphills explanation. 3x9 then 2x10 driving. This is just so god dam confussing. 15 hour day then a 13 hour day, wish i stayed in the Army it,s much easy doing a left flank attack.

pete8835:
Omfg, how on the Hell are you supposed to know all that, i like limyphills explanation. 3x9 then 2x10 driving. This is just so god dam confussing. 15 hour day then a 13 hour day, wish i stayed in the Army it,s much easy doing a left flank attack.

Its not really once you wotk with it it falls into place …honest

bjd:

pete8835:

Agreed, the regulations may seem daunting when you’re new to them but with practice they become obvious … OK obvious may be a bit extreme but you get the idea :wink:

bjd:

xamtex:

Dcpc would be ok if it was set modules for example drivers hours, safe loading practise, safed, but its not i have 3 days done one wa on telematics which counts wast of time in its current format

If you considered the subjects of the DCPC courses you did to be a waste of time - why did you book them? Or why did your boss book them?

I sometimes get this. Driver turns up and part way into the course says “I’ve already done this” to which I ususally ask “Then why book the same course again?” Sometimes the reply is “I thought it would be different”. OK … so some trainers do get bits of information wrong, but generally Drivers hours are drivers hours and digital tacho’s are digital tachos - there’s gonna be a few similarities between courses!

But yes … this post is a perfect example of an advert for DCPC :wink:

shep532:

bjd:

xamtex:

If you considered the subjects of the DCPC courses you did to be a waste of time - why did you book them? Or why did your boss book them?

I sometimes get this. Driver turns up and part way into the course says “I’ve already done this” to which I ususally ask “Then why book the same course again?” Sometimes the reply is “I thought it would be different”. OK … so some trainers do get bits of information wrong, but generally Drivers hours are drivers hours and digital tacho’s are digital tachos - there’s gonna be a few similarities between courses!

But yes … this post is a perfect example of an advert for DCPC :wink:

i never booked it my company did the point is the sylabus should be set so when completed you have followed set modules.

Read up on the difference between a ‘fixed week’ and a ‘working week’ and which rules apply to which.

Not knowing this is probably the main cause of the infringements that cross my desk . . . . :unamused:

bjd:

pete8835:

People make it confusing Pete, when it really isn’t that confusing.

1 minute over 9hrs driving, and you’re into a 10, you can only do that twice per week
1 minute over 13hrs duty time (unless you’ve had at least 3hrs rest through the day) and you’re into a reducer - ie a 9hr rest period - often mistakenly called a 15. You can only do this 3 times per week.
The duty time works on a 24hr clock, think of an old analogue tacho, from the minute you put it in, it marks the start of the duty, by time that tacho’s done a complete circle, you must have done your duty + had your rest, so 0405 start time, by 0404 you must’ve done your duty + your rest.

There’s loads of other crap to make it more complicated, ie WTD - average of 48hrs over a set working period (either 17 or 26 weeks IIRC) - again, this is WORKING, so POA and breaks don’t count - holidays count as 48hrs work per week pro rata, so 1 days hols = 9hrs work for the WTD purposes. And loads of other crap that really is the TM’s problem as long as you fill in time sheets and download your tacho’s

i thought i had this covered but then just done one of the cpc modules gave me some info that does not suit !
so no mention of a 15hour spread? just max 11 hours duty time ? so if one of our lads goes over 11 hours duty time or is it 13 as per one of the previous posts? has he got to take 11 hour rest ■■
two more lads do 2 or 3days driving ( 8 or 9 hour drive )and may be 2 days of 2 hours …the rest of the time they work in the warehouse where do they stand
all comments welcome

mark bucket:
i thought i had this covered but then just done one of the cpc modules gave me some info that does not suit !
so no mention of a 15hour spread? just max 11 hours duty time ? so if one of our lads goes over 11 hours duty time or is it 13 as per one of the previous posts? has he got to take 11 hour rest ■■
two more lads do 2 or 3days driving ( 8 or 9 hour drive )and may be 2 days of 2 hours …the rest of the time they work in the warehouse where do they stand
all comments welcome

This sounds like another DCPC trainer that hasn’t managed to actually train anyone correctly. :unamused:

Go on - tell us where this DCPC course took place and I’ll have a word with them :wink:

Did you ask any of these questions on the course? If so, did they answer or just swerve round the questions 'cos they hadn’t got a clue? or did you just sit there and not get it?

So the 45 hours a week, 90 a fortnight; they’re an average over the 17 week period are they? So I could work a hundred hour fortnight and then a month later have a 30 hour fortnight?

I’m keeping track of my hours but when I broached the subject with the agency their response was that I should not worry and just trust them…

I suspect I’ll get an infringement when I download tomorrow as I’ve done 50 hours this week and 42 hours last week, and I’ve not even done tomorrows shift yet! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: