90 hours rule is stupid

More precisely, the lack of flexibility on it. You can extend your daily driving time, you can reduce your daily rest (effectively extending your daily shift time), reduce/split your daily/weekly rest, split your 45min break but you can do nothing about the ■■■■■■■ 90 hours in 2 weeks…Why no option to go over by 2 or 3 hours every other month or so (with payback like reduced weekly)?

Opinions?

Why would you want to do more hours? There is enough confusion with rest periods etc, you can just about guarentee that if you were allowed to go over then pay back, somewhere along the line it would get messed up, and then there would be a fine! Driving nine hours a day, five days a week is more than enough for anyone.

A new set of common sense safety rules are needed for the regs especially if only UK driving

Minimum weekly rest of 36 hours with at least 60 hours rest every other week

Maximum 132 hours between and two weekly rests

Max weekly driving time only

Every weekly rest resets the lot and no paybacks

Minimum daily rest of 12 hours if at home or 9 hours if away from home with no other restrictions

:question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

It needs simplifying not making even harder to understand
It’s degree level as it is
Your flexibility is my complexity

Simples answer.
Get rid of 9hr rest, make it 11hrs rest everyday, unless it’s last card Friday.
Bring back rolling week,
And 48hrs required every 2weeks,

So even when you’ve done a 15, still need 11 off, then ya day starts again,

If you need to go over the hours on the current rules for anything other than exceptional circumstances that were unforeseen it’s down to one thing and one thing only. Bad planning from either the planners or the driver or a combination of the 2.

You want to work even more hours? :unamused:
Is the current ridiculous amount of hours we are allowed to work by law, totally ignoring h&s not enough for you.
It’s people like you with attitudes like yours that are the reason that this job will never be brought into line with Century 21 terms and conditions.
Even someone as poor and as poverty stricken as me living in my hovel of a council house can manage to have a life…, you should try to get a one yourself mate. :unamused:

(Got it in first btw, beating you to it :sunglasses: …as I know how entirely obsessed you are about my perceived social and living conditions :wink: )

To be honest I can’t really see much point to the 90 hours driving in a fortnight rule, I suppose you could make an argument for it for when drivers have had a reduced weekly rest period but if you’ve had a regular weekly rest period it should reset all driving limits in my opinion.

I agree, but I’ll extend it to just about all the rules are stupid.

I miss analogues.

SJB:

Absolute unadulterated ■■■■■■■■. It gets a bit more complicated in a few circumstances but it isn’t rocket science and as someone who has done a degree I can tell you it is nowhere near even being GCSE level let alone degree.

TheUncaringCowboy:

I miss analogues.

Let me guess you’re one of those mugs who want to be able to do 90hrs a week every week without a day off just to bring home the same money as someone on the average UK wage who only does 40hrs a week for it.

We need to be doing fewer hours not more. Last night I did an 11hr shift which is nothing out of the ordinary for this job and actually considered a short day by many. Try saying to people who aren’t in haulage that you do 11hrs or more a day, 60hrs a week and see what their response is. It’ll be somewhere between shock and “■■ that”. People working normal hours see a 45hr week as a long one, let alone the average in our job of 55hrs.

Conor:

SJB:

Absolute unadulterated ■■■■■■■■. It gets a bit more complicated in a few circumstances but it isn’t rocket science and as someone who has done a degree I can tell you it is nowhere near even being GCSE level let alone degree.

TheUncaringCowboy:

I miss analogues.

Let me guess you’re one of those mugs who want to be able to do 90hrs a week every week without a day off just to bring home the same money as someone on the average UK wage who only does 40hrs a week for it.

We need to be doing fewer hours not more. Last night I did an 11hr shift which is nothing out of the ordinary for this job and actually considered a short day by many. Try saying to people who aren’t in haulage that you do 11hrs or more a day, 60hrs a week and see what their response is. It’ll be somewhere between shock and “[zb] that”. People working normal hours see a 45hr week as a long one, let alone the average in our job of 55hrs.

There are various degrees, between 0 and 360 & I do believe your degree is in absolute unadulterated ■■■■■■■■. Its not about someone doing more hours, its about the 90 hours being more flexible, not working 90 hours per week :unamused:

Another week another moan about the regulations.

Which part of it are you going to be moaning about/learning about next week?

Wheel Nut:
Its not about someone doing more hours, its about the 90 hours being more flexible, not working 90 hours per week :unamused:

There’s no good reason why a person should be spending more than 45 hours a week at the wheel, before even considering other work, and (for most) your journey to and from work.

There is already a system of flexibility in that you can exceed the 45 hours in one week, and repay it the next. There is no good reason whatsoever why that should increase further, it anything it should be coming down.

Conor:

SJB:

TheUncaringCowboy:

I miss analogues.

We need to be doing fewer hours not more. Last night I did an 11hr shift which is nothing out of the ordinary for this job and actually considered a short day by many. Try saying to people who aren’t in haulage that you do 11hrs or more a day, 60hrs a week and see what their response is. It’ll be somewhere between shock and “[zb] that”. People working normal hours see a 45hr week as a long one, let alone the average in our job of 55hrs.

I make substantially more money than you and I’m not a giant phallus like you.

I win.

Conor:

I will tell that to the people in the factories that I visit, who stand at machines for 12 hour shifts, for minimum wage with no overtime. Should cheer them up

TheUncaringCowboy:
I’m not a giant phallus like you.

I win.

:laughing:

Whatever the rules are, there will be circumstances when you could fall just outside what is legal. If the rules say 95hrs instead of 90 you’ll be given a 5 he longer job.
The hours you want to get home after an eventful, tightly planned planned run, will always be: just a little bit more.

FFS don’t we work long enough hours as it is. The rules basically amount to being able to drive for 9 hours a day 5 times per week. Sometimes you may need to go over 9 hours. You can do this twice a week. Other times you might need to run in on a Saturday or whatever else you can dream up. The weekly limit of 56 hours allows for this. Theres your flexibility right there.

The 90 hours rule then comes in to give you a rest the following week after having a longer than normal week the week before.

But I guess for some workaholics that’s just not good enough.

Fear not though, it’s just driving time. Get your boss to send you to Tesco (any of them will do) and you can still bang your 15s/13s out.

Terry T:
FFS don’t we work long enough hours as it is. The rules basically amount to being able to drive for 9 hours a day 5 times per week. Sometimes you may need to go over 9 hours. You can do this twice a week. Other times you might need to run in on a Saturday or whatever else you can dream up. The weekly limit of 56 hours allows for this. Theres your flexibility right there.

The 90 hours rule then comes in to give you a rest the following week after having a longer than normal week the week before.

Fear not though, it’s just driving time. Get your boss to send you to Tesco (any of them will do) and you can still bang your 15s/13s out.

There is a huge difference between workaholics and people just been hungry for money
A workaholic has a bit of respect
The hungry ■■■■■■ is a scab

Terry T:

What’s the point working 56 hours (6 days) if you’re only going to work 4 days the next week as you’ll be out of driving hours by day 4?

Last week I worked Sunday (reduced weekly rest/■■■■-ed my weekend) only to be planned for 8-9 hour routes this week which left me with <15 hours at the end of Wednesday and now I’ll probably have to stay home on Friday and will be no better off financially than if I had my last Sunday off (enjoy full weekend) and worked this Fri (money is the same Fri-Sat-Sun)

You all who believe H&S is the real reason behind working/driving hours limits are naive. What YOU may think is a reasonable amount of driving time, 9 hours driving may be OK for a 20-something year old but for someone in their 60s? (maybe RR could enlighten us on this) If H&S were a factor then there would be an upper age limit for starters.