90 hours rule is stupid

As has already been said multiple times, the 90 hours is only for your driving time. What jobs are going to require you to do more than that? By the time you take in to account loading and unloading times, you’d be at the limit of your WTD hours. The only way you could do that much driving is if your crossing Europe to load/tip

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

CookieMonster:
As has already been said multiple times, the 90 hours is only for your driving time. What jobs are going to require you to do more than that? By the time you take in to account loading and unloading times, you’d be at the limit of your WTD hours. The only way you could do that much driving is if your crossing Europe to load/tip

Sure but every once in a blue moon you might get close to 90 hours, even if you’re on regular routes which take you the same time daily/weekly because of things like…TRAFFIC. A 1 hour delay on Tuesday can come back to bite you in the ■■■ on Friday if the route you’re on is going to take you to a total of 91 hours (because you did 6 days last week for example) - then you have to stay home unpaid and it’s not fun :cry: all because you got a bad stack of routes for 2 weeks in a row which may only happen once or twice in a year…

Jimmy McNulty:
Another week another moan about the regulations.

Which part of it are you going to be moaning about/learning about next week?

The part where he falls asleep at the wheel…

ETS:

CookieMonster:

Sure but every once in a blue moon you might get close to 90 hours, even if you’re on regular routes which take you the same time daily/weekly because of things like…TRAFFIC. A 1 hour delay on Tuesday can come back to bite you in the ■■■ on Friday if the route you’re on is going to take you to a total of 91 hours (because you did 6 days last week for example) - then you have to stay home unpaid and it’s not fun :cry: all because you got a bad stack of routes for 2 weeks in a row which may only happen once or twice in a year…

Simple solution to that is if you do above 45 hours in week one, your planners should be planning your routes for week 2 to have less driving time to keep the average in balance. Any good transport planners should be able to do that. Certainly, if they can’t account for unforeseen problems like traffic on one day out of 10/11 then they shouldn’t be anywhere near a transport office.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Conor:
Absolute unadulterated ■■■■■■■■. … and as someone who has done a degree I can tell you it is nowhere near even being GCSE level let alone degree.

I’ve done a degree too and I rarely struggled with any module as much as I’ve struggled with getting a FULL understanding of drivers regs and tacho. Let’s meet in the middle and call it A-level.

Why would you want do 90hrs plus.
I do a lot of long distance work .
And never done 90hrs over 2 weeks. Most ever done is 85.
Almost impossible unless you work every other weekend. Which I dont

TheUncaringCowboy:
I make substantially more money than you and I’m not a giant phallus like you.

I win.

Only if money is your only measure of success. There’s no point in being the richest man in the graveyard. :stuck_out_tongue:

ETS:

Terry T:
FFS don’t we work long enough hours as it is. The rules basically amount to being able to drive for 9 hours a day 5 times per week. Sometimes you may need to go over 9 hours. You can do this twice a week. Other times you might need to run in on a Saturday or whatever else you can dream up. The weekly limit of 56 hours allows for this. Theres your flexibility right there.

The 90 hours rule then comes in to give you a rest the following week after having a longer than normal week the week before.

But I guess for some workaholics that’s just not good enough.

Fear not though, it’s just driving time. Get your boss to send you to Tesco (any of them will do) and you can still bang your 15s/13s out.

What’s the point working 56 hours (6 days) if you’re only going to work 4 days the next week as you’ll be out of driving hours by day 4?

Last week I worked Sunday (reduced weekly rest/[zb] my weekend) only to be planned for 8-9 hour routes this week which left me with <15 hours at the end of Wednesday and now I’ll probably have to stay home on Friday and will be no better off financially than if I had my last Sunday off (enjoy full weekend) and worked this Fri (money is the same Fri-Sat-Sun)

You all who believe H&S is the real reason behind working/driving hours limits are naive. What YOU may think is a reasonable amount of driving time, 9 hours driving may be OK for a 20-something year old but for someone in their 60s? (maybe RR could enlighten us on this) If H&S were a factor then there would be an upper age limit for starters.

I can’ t believe a smart arse like you is allowing your firm to rip the ■■■■ out of you. :laughing:
Instead of bleating on here about it, confront your firm and tell them to sort it.
Or maybe you could e.mail them as I’m sure your more confident in being the ‘big I am’ on line to what you actually are saying stuff to people’s faces.
Other than that change your job. :bulb:

Franglais:
Whatever the rules are, there will be circumstances when you could fall just outside what is legal. If the rules say 95hrs instead of 90 you’ll be given a 5 he longer job.
The hours you want to get home after an eventful, tightly planned planned run, will always be: just a little bit more.

All these rules are in place to protect drivers from being exploited by unscrupulous bosses, yet drivers seem determined to bend them.

Conor:

SJB:
It needs simplifying not making even harder to understand
It’s degree level as it is

Absolute unadulterated ■■■■■■■■. It gets a bit more complicated in a few circumstances but it isn’t rocket science and as someone who has done a degree I can tell you it is nowhere near even being GCSE level let alone degree.

TheUncaringCowboy:
I agree, but I’ll extend it to just about all the rules are stupid.

I miss analogues.

Let me guess you’re one of those mugs who want to be able to do 90hrs a week every week without a day off just to bring home the same money as someone on the average UK wage who only does 40hrs a week for it.

We need to be doing fewer hours not more. Last night I did an 11hr shift which is nothing out of the ordinary for this job and actually considered a short day by many. Try saying to people who aren’t in haulage that you do 11hrs or more a day, 60hrs a week and see what their response is. It’ll be somewhere between shock and “[zb] that”. People working normal hours see a 45hr week as a long one, let alone the average in our job of 55hrs.

No comment about Uncaring Cowboy as I don’t t know him or anything about him, but I agree with Conor on this in principle.
Drivers only have themselves to blame for the long hours, by allowing themselves to be pressurised into working max hours by treating limits as targets.
We have clowns at my place who would work 24 hour days if they could and boast about their top line as being on ‘‘Good money’’ and complain if they are planned for short days.
To go back even further it is their own fault for being conned into changing their ts and cs from time and half overtime rates to same rate right through…which has hardly increased in rate over the years.

As for rules being degree level?..Not a clue, never took a degree.
However I was quite good at passing exams at school, but I had to be actually interested in the subject syllabus, that is just the way I am.
I will say the regs are more complex than complicated, which is why I am on a ‘’ Need to know’’ basis, because I simply ain’t interested.
I very rarely get infringements, and stick 100% to the rules, but don’t ask me about 2 man ops or manual entries and the like,…not because I find it difficult, but because I simply ain’t ■■■■ interested enough to find out. :bulb:

ETS:

But what system of rules do you imagine where these things won’t happen?

I can imagine one rule, which is that your employer pays you for the Friday whether you can drive or not, if he’s run your hours out prematurely.

But let us say we extended it to 100 hours. Now your employer will plan you for 100 hours, and there’ll always be traffic which means you need 101 hours and so you have to sit at home unpaid on the Friday.

You seem to assume all other things will stay the same if the rules are changed - your hourly rate, the hours you’re planned for, the amount of traffic, the distance between depots, etc - when in reality all these other things will also adjust adversely if the hours rules were changed.

Being stuck 29 minutes from your Home Depot isn’t the only problem, someone who works lorries as they should be maybe 1 hour away from a watering hole with showers, laundry facilities, dancing girls and food, the alternative maybe a lay-by and a carrier bag. The 9 or 10 hours per day is fixed as is the weekly rest. You could have done your maximum 56 hours on your first week had 50 hours rest and then get caught on your second week, you’re parked up Thursday lunchtime, not everyone works for an agency 4 on and 4 off.
It’s flexibility that makes Transport interesting, it’s not like a shop that opens at 9 and closes by 5.30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ETS:
Last week I worked Sunday (reduced weekly rest/[zb] my weekend) only to be planned for 8-9 hour routes this week which left me with <15 hours at the end of Wednesday and now I’ll probably have to stay home on Friday and will be no better off financially than if I had my last Sunday off (enjoy full weekend) and worked this Fri (money is the same Fri-Sat-Sun)

So your boss pays the same at weekends as in the week. He gets you in on a Sunday then gives you 9 hour runs all week knowing you’ll be stood down on Friday.

One born every minute. You’re boss has done you up :grimacing:

I worked last Sunday. Did just under six hours, but I’m paid eight hours at £16 an hour. £128.

Us agency mugs, eh? :stuck_out_tongue:

robroy:
You want to work even more hours? :unamused:
Is the current ridiculous amount of hours we are allowed to work by law, totally ignoring h&s not enough for you.
It’s people like you with attitudes like yours that are the reason that this job will never be brought into line with Century 21 terms and conditions.
Even someone as poor and as poverty stricken as me living in my hovel of a council house can manage to have a life…, you should try to get a one yourself mate. :unamused:

(Got it in first btw, beating you to it :sunglasses: …as I know how entirely obsessed you are about my perceived social and living conditions :wink: )

Oh, look - it’s another volume of Robroy’s life advice that nobody asked for. How quaint.

There are things in the rules that make them daft, such as extending to 10hrs twice in a fixed week - fine, but then allowing it to be possible to do 10hrs driving on four consecutive days (Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday) in the right circumstance when a slight change to “extend to ten hours twice between two weekly tests” would cover that.

ETS:

robroy:
You want to work even more hours? :unamused:
Is the current ridiculous amount of hours we are allowed to work by law, totally ignoring h&s not enough for you.
It’s people like you with attitudes like yours that are the reason that this job will never be brought into line with Century 21 terms and conditions.
Even someone as poor and as poverty stricken as me living in my hovel of a council house can manage to have a life…, you should try to get a one yourself mate. :unamused:

(Got it in first btw, beating you to it :sunglasses: …as I know how entirely obsessed you are about my perceived social and living conditions :wink: )

Oh, look - it’s another volume of Robroy’s life advice that nobody asked for. How quaint.

:laughing: You really are ■■■■ dim aren’t you. :laughing: :laughing:
Just go back to your o/p…here’s a clue.
Last word of your original post, 8 letters, starts with an ‘O’ ends with an ’ S’ , with ‘pinion’ in between. :bulb: :bulb:

So looks like you did ask for it after all eh?
How quaint.

edd1974:
Why would you want do 90hrs plus.
I do a lot of long distance work .
And never done 90hrs over 2 weeks. Most ever done is 85.
Almost impossible unless you work every other weekend. Which I dont

I’ve gotten in 112 and a half a couple of times, not gonna lie.

But nowadays only wonder why the hell are some folk crying for more hours instead of a better wage??

I’m ok with how things are apart from the reduced daily rest. I know it’s probably difficult to enforce and would be wide open to abuse from the unscrupulous but I think reducing should only be allowed if nighting out. If back at base 11 should be mandatory.
To take it to extremes it’s technically legal to finish work, drive 4.5 hours home, kiss the other half (optional [emoji23])then drive 4.5 hours back to work then work for 15 hours!
Yes I know this scenario is ridiculous but scaled back to a sensible commute 9 hours off isn’t enough time off imo.

nomiS36:
I’m ok with how things are apart from the reduced daily rest. I know it’s probably difficult to enforce and would be wide open to abuse from the unscrupulous but I think reducing should only be allowed if nighting out. If back at base 11 should be mandatory.
To take it to extremes it’s technically legal to finish work, drive 4.5 hours home, kiss the other half (optional [emoji23])then drive 4.5 hours back to work then work for 15 hours!
Yes I know this scenario is ridiculous but scaled back to a sensible commute 9 hours off isn’t enough time off imo.

I agree, if planners are doing this they have little regard for driver’s welfare or are simply taking the ■■■■ out of those who are too timid to speak up for themselves and those who are just too thick to do anything else but just put up with it, but bore everybody else by moaning about it to the wrong people…bit like the o/p’s case in fact. :smiley: