The cab comfort survey part 2

I think that each truck has its pros and cons regarding driver comfort and maybe manufacturers could learn from each other and until then we will never have the perfect truck.
The one thing that would make life easier would be a hard wired inverter fitted in the truck. With all the electrical extras that we like to carry these days it would be great if we had the ability to power them from one source rather than carry a charger for this and that.
Yes I know we can buy one ourselves but when you add the price of a decent inverter then have it wired in, its a lot of money, but if they were standard in the price of the truck they would be a lot cheaper as they would be bought in bulk and the boss would end up paying for them :smiley: :smiley:

Paul

Already mentioned on here but left leg room is terrible ! come on its not a new thing , yes they are designed for LHD but when they swap over there must be a few inches we can have !
Also how come fo the last ten years i can go in to any car show room buy the cheapest of cars and get a AIRBAG ! yet spend £60k+ on a truck and you dont get one bloody airbar standard ■■?
Rear stereo controls on the bunks is a nice touch(also night heater ) but still a few dont have it, its also about time there was at least one 240v inverter

Some good points raised here, Merc mud wings, Electrically folding mirrors, Scania mirrors are spot on. Swivel passenger seat. And although not the most loved bunk set up, i do like the 4 series over front top bunk.

(i’ve now got a head full of ideas for Mr. Vains replacement :unamused: )

i think luckily, trucks have come on in leaps and bounds of late.
think you could take bits of various big players, and nigh on make the perfect truck.

the whole feel of the newest man xxl, very well built feel too it, great dash, and plenty of interior space, nice wide bed too, lovely drive.
daf, has a cracking cab imho, 1 of the best, fantastic bed, and massive storage space.
scania, a good looking motor, good drive.steering adjust button, clever stereo.
volvo. love the controls, dash, and drive, and my fave for seating position and comfort.

DISLIKES
man xxl, why on earth do you feel the need too have such a huge screen, and a dustbin lid as a steering wheel■■? bit more padding on the bed please. make the fridge, so it slides away, right under the bed, rather than it is now, getting in the way. take a leaf from scania and dafs book.
daf, crap seat, can never seem too get it quite right, and lousy blindspots, with the mirrors. cab mounts.
volvo, change the design of the cab, give it a decent layout, re interior space, and you could possibly have the ultimate truck. wider bed too.
scania. bit more footwell room, sort the bottom bunk out, and learn how too build and install lbigger lockers, you seem too waste alot of the decent interior space, the topline has.

this is only my opinion, on the trucks i drive at the mo, i’m due too get 1 soon, and as it stands, i’d pick the volvo or the man.
think man, really have come on the best, out of this lot, in recent years.
also, why don’t more trucks, have a swivel passenger seat?

By far the best thing AFAIC is the Actros gear shift in the arm-rest. Comfortable, convenient and folds away when not in use.

Also good are the Daf and Magnum sun blinds i.e one big one. Magnum blinds full stop really. Daf SSC overhead lockers. Daf providing a 24v hook up for a microwave in the locker. Actros Mega-space outside lockers (4 of them). Daf bunk. MAN auto box. Not yet found the perfect cup holder: Daf too far back, Scania too low, MAN and Volvo too far away, Merc, good position, just needs to be flat.

2nd best invention is again on the Merc. Brilliant flap between the steering wheel and the dash for catching falling baccy. Inspired thinking there. :smiley:

Hmmm…

Iveco Stralis midlift section of bunk and fold down table, also the TV table on the passenger side wall with 12v socket right next to it.
Swivel passenger seat in the Stralis, aswell as the air controls on it… basically a drivers seat on the passenger side.
DAF XF’s nice thick bunk and curtains.
Scania’s steering wheel controls and the ability to not only lift it but also to tilt it towards the driver.
Scania’s tilt and slide sunroof, makes washing the roof a hell of a lot easier.
Renault Magnams all round blinds, not a lot of light gets past them as they run inside the trim.
The heater, stereo, windows, sunroof etc etc computer on the back wall of the Stralis.
The electric blind on the Stralis and some other trucks that goes right across the windscreen.
Locker space on most of the new trucks, its come on leaps and bounds over recent years.

Dislikes:-
No reading/map light on the Stralis’ top bunk, so you have to have the main spots on.
Also on the Stralis, the half curtains on the side windows, please Iveco go back to the all round curtains.
Lack of cup holders in the XF, do DAF think lorry drivers go 4.5hrs without a cup of coffee/tea■■?
Actros, bad all over, too many points to list. Typical MB vehicle IMHO.
The stupid pull out cup holders on the Volvo dash, I cant put my travel mug in one and the other is too big.
Tacho placement on the Premium, who thought that having it by your right leg was a good idea■■?

Most companies, and I’m sure its been said by most of us, need to get together and take bits and pieces from each vehicle and put it in to one generic cab. Tables from Iveco, bunk from DAF, steering wheel from Scania etc etc. If I was ever to have my own truck it’d be a hodpodge of bits from various others :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

its amazing how far cabs have come on over the years, ill bet theres one or two on here who could tell a funny story or two about 60 s and 70s, on the road, things like going to t,rag mill to get extra old army blankets to put over engine cover to keep noise down in the cab,[ can u hear the music for the hovis ad in the background■■?] so come on u old timers ,lets tell these spotlight and chrome heads how its really done, we could call it pioneers of the road, yes ,thats it, thatsit. ILL GET ME COAT

ive driven lots during my time with the agencies,
good and bad scannies
dafs from the lf45 up to the xf105
volvos etc etc

the old gearstick in the older scannies that had the switch for the splitter right next to your clutch leg was probably the daftest thing they ever did. though last week i drove a 94d which had a proper gearstick (switch was where it should be at the front)

dafs lack space unless its a sleeper cab especially in the lf45

volvos well apart from not having much space to stretch your legs on long drives its a nice cosy truck, i dont get that feeling that everything is miles away like int he iveco cargo which is the worst truck in the world.

another thing why couldnt trucks have one or 2 proper plugs? doesnt the new magnum have them?

I think in some respects the designs have gone backwards. I fondly remember the fuse box cover in a 2800 / 3600 DAF, flat dash, document box & 2 x 2 litre bottle holders and power sockets, also somewhere substantial to stand a cooker and boil a kettle.

The F1017 / 12 cab with the flat document box and the underseat storage box.

Since the curved dash and ergonomic designs, there are not many flat surfaces to stand a couple of boiling pans or even a mug of tea on.

Power sockets are always needed although they are getting better,

MR VAIN

(i’ve now got a head full of ideas for Mr. Vains replacement )

It will have to be Scania won’y it■■? What else will those spot bars transfer on to!!!

Scania’s R series isn’t that good IMO, the standard driver’s seat is way too hard. however, credit to them for giving you somewhere to put your right leg and it’s a definate improvement on the 4 series. I HATE the opticruise automatic version with a passion though.
A few of our drivers have complained about the volvo FM, saying the seat doesnt go back far enough. I havent noticed as I’m a shortarse, however apart from the slightly hard ride from the solid cab mounts I’ve had no problem with them.
The Renault Premium is IMO probably one of the worst vehicles out there. You seem to be really squeezed into the driving position due to the narrow cab, one of the only vehicles I’ve had back trouble with.
Merc Axor- ok for short distance, but that uneven floor plays havoc with your left leg and getting it into reverse can dislocate your left shoulder.
There are trucks out there that seem perfect, ones you get into and instantly feel at home. Iveco Stralis, MAN TGA with the wide cab, Daf CF or XF, Merc Actros.(incidently, if they put the straight six axor engine into the actros with a decent 16 speed manual box, that’d be a very.very good all rounder. I’m not a fan of the V6 merc engine, its very lazy on torque.)

I think the general layout of a DAF 95 and 105 are excellent.
But there is room for improvement as follows.

1…Get rid of the quarter light window on the passenger side as the seam gets in the way of the mirror.
2…Raise the bottom bunk to make more storage space.
3… with this extra space you will be able to put in an upright fridge with a proper door.
4…Do away with the top bunk and put cupboards up there. A top bunk could be an optional extra not a standard item.
5… Have a word with the EU and the government and ask if we can have an extra metre of length to the cab. Legislation on vehicle lengths could be changed from a maximum combination length to a maximum trailer length.

would be nice if the passenger side sun visors where electric. ■■■■ dangerous climbing across the cab to pull it down on the move. :wink:

limeyphil:
I think the general layout of a DAF 95 and 105 are excellent.
But there is room for improvement as follows.

1…Get rid of the quarter light window on the passenger side as the seam gets in the way of the mirror.
2…Raise the bottom bunk to make more storage space.
3… with this extra space you will be able to put in an upright fridge with a proper door.
4…Do away with the top bunk and put cupboards up there. A top bunk could be an optional extra not a standard item.
5… Have a word with the EU and the government and ask if we can have an extra metre of length to the cab. Legislation on vehicle lengths could be changed from a maximum combination length to a maximum trailer length.

I hate DAF windows , why o why do they still have that stupid arangement in this day and age?

Like some,I can’t comment on certain vehicles,as I haven’t driven them.But what I have driven,both as an employee,and an agency driver,I’ve listed below.

LIKES.

Renault Premium.
The sound system in the Premium,is the best standard fit out there.The position of the speakers above the doors,means that you get the sound directly where it should be,in your ears.
Moving the gearshift to the steering column,should have been done ages ago.
Comfy bed.
Nice to see they now put a shelf in the space above the passenger seat for a tv.
Good air con.
Kick down on the new auto box.

Volvo FM/FH.
I-shift.Say no more.
Good pulling engine at 440bhp.
Dash layout.I quite like the layout of the Volvo’s.Everything is right for me.
Switches for the radio and night heater in the bunk area.OTHER MAKERS TAKE NOTE.
Steering wheel adjustment by foot.
A heater that cooks you on a cold day when you need it.
External lockers are a decent size.
Hill brake on a button.

Volvo FE.
Essentially a Renault in disguise as a rigid,although I’m currently piloting a one on the agency,rated at 320bhp for 26 tonne,and it pulls like a train fully loaded.It would seem over powered for the job,but it keeps on top of things.
Same sound system as the Premium,so it gets my vote.
Good night heater.
Hill brake on a button.

MAN TGA/ERF.
When these first came onto the market,I thought they were a revolution in fleet form for the size of the cab,and I wasn’t disappointed.How many could get a near flat floor,in a standard height cab.
The comfort shift was brilliant,if you didn’t rush it.
Must have been the first to fit a captains armrest to the drivers seat in the TGA,but not so in the ERF.Made long journeys just that little bit more pleasant.
Excellent exterior lockers.
Fridge/cool box.

DAF 85/95/105SC
Personally,I think all 3 are good,and having never had a SSC,I base my comments on the SC variant.
The mattress gets 10/10 for thickness,and others should take on board DAF’s excellent thought for the driver nighting out.
Good night heater.
Pleased they’ve positioned the auto controls on the dash on the 105,and got rid of the stubby auto gearstick,ala,85/95.
Plenty of height in the 85 big cab.
Good build quality all round.

DISLIKES.

Renault Premium.
Why oh why after all this time,do they still have the steps rattling after a while. :angry: Put some bloody locknuts on the steps,to stop this.It does work,as I proved when I had my 340 bhp shopping trolley at Somerfields,and the garage did just that.
The drivers seat doesn’t go back far enough,and won’t tilt back enough,because of the mattress.
You get soaked when you have the drivers window open,and you wash/wipe the screen.Fit a wind deflector as standard,not an option.
The door lock quality is crap.They seize up or won’t turn after a while,and you then end up with 2 different keys for the doors and the ignition.
Put more storage on the back wall above the bunk in single bed models,ala Volvo. (After all,aren’t you part of the same group now■■?)
Exterior lockers are too small.
No fridge/cool box.There’s ample room under the bunk,in the centre.
Which muppet decided to put the tacho draw in the earlier models above the accelerator,at knee height? :angry:
Only 1 12v socket.

Volvo FM/FH.
Mattress.(Say no more.)
Windows don’t go to the bottom when wound down.This hurts your right arm,if you open the window to watch back when your reversing.
The suzie holder for the airlines.There both on the same side,meaning the suzies end up getting tangled when you stow them.Put the yellow one on one side,and the red one on the other.
What’s with the air con button on these models? Do you have to have the button illuminated to say it’s off? Surely this should be the case when it’s on? (Look at yours next time.)
Quality of the steering wheel material.When they get a bit worn,they go all chunky and bitty.
Why don’t they use the kick down on the I-shift,like the Premium,instead of having to use the power button?

Volvo FE.
8 speed manual gearbox,when others in the same class have an auto.
No air con.(Maybe just in the one I have from BRS.)
Wiper stalk is a funny angle when operating.
When loaded,the front end mudflaps scrape the floor when turning.Even with not a lot of weight on it.It’s like the front springs are a weak point.

MAN TGA/ERF.
Steering wheel is far too big.
Night heater controls are in the wrong place next to the handbrake,meaning you have to get up to alter them.
Crap radio/sound system.
Cheap finish with bits falling apart all over the cab.Door trims and dashboard especially.
Why doesn’ the cool box go right under the bunk?
The dashboard lights at the bottom for the km’s and temp etc,are virtually unreadable,even at night.
The bunk is small and uncomfortable.
The door electric switches leave a lot to be desired in terms of their quality.Ones I have driven that have had them replaced,have been for LHD models,as they operate everything opposite of RHD models.
The drivers seat build is appalling.The tilt mechanisms break down easily,meaning you can’t operate the lever.I have had to use a screwdriver in the past,to tilt it.
The 3 red buttons for the lumbar support on the drivers seat,fall off as soon as look at them.

IVECO STRALIS.
Hated with a passion,and should be thrown back into the channel as soon as they reach these shores.
Too many electrics.
Unreliable.
No lift axle on the early 430 bhp models.
Crap build quality.
Useless auto box.
I’m not going to waste any more space on these.

DAF 85/95/105.
Slow electric windows.
Sound system could be better.
Not enough 12v sockets.

I’m sure every motor isn’t going to please everyone,and I base my findings on the current crop of models that I’ve driven in the last few years.

If I think of anything else,I’ll edit accordingly.

Ken.

I drove an iveco tector when they first came out.
It had a thing that was like a manually opperated speed limiter.
Lets say you want to limit the truck to 50mph for some strange reason, you could get your speed to 50mph then press the button which will limit the speed to 50mph, but unlike a cruise control you can slow down or stop without affecting the set speed.

limeyphil:
Lets say you want to limit the truck to 50mph for some strange reason, you could get your speed to 50mph then press the button which will limit the speed to 50mph, but unlike a cruise control you can slow down or stop without affecting the set speed.

Some 3 series has something similar and all later DAF’s :smiley: :laughing:

DAFMAD:

limeyphil:

Some 3 series has something similar and all later DAF’s :smiley: :laughing:

So does the Actros

Andydisco:
Im now driving a Daf CF85 and the layout of the dashboard is fine along with the gear lever and handbrake, but the whole cab could do with being that bit wider so I;m not touching the other side of the cab when I’m sleeping,and the bed could also do with being a good 8 to 10 inches wider

I thought DAF had done all that, and called it an XF :smiling_imp: .

Just had a scanny hi liner after having daf xf…cannot beleive how far scannys have gone backwards.absolute ■■■■■ after the daf…so much plastic its unbeleivable,and those jig-saw made up bunks are rubbish…prefered my scanny 110 from the 70`s and thats no joke.used to think there was nothing like em but cant wait for this heap to go but could be long time as its only an 08…roll on weekends