The big easter egg con!

A distrbution centre I spend most of my life in has a staff shop. Last week they were having a huge easter egg sale so I decided to get some for the family. “Are you an employee?” asked the guy selling the eggs. “No im an outside contractor” I answered… “Employees only, bye bye”!.. I was absolutley gutted.

Has anyone else been subjected to this type of lorry driver racism before?

To make matters worse there were a load of eggs left over, which they gave away/binned.

He must have been yolking. :laughing: :laughing:

Normally staff shops ban outside contractors buying things because in the past goods end up being sold on at a profit or on a car boot sale.
There’s not many places now that do sell to contractors…shame.
Rich.

I had eggsactly the same thing happen to me years ago.

Its a bloody yoke the way drivers are treated.

:laughing:

lol, i getto buy stuff from the staff shop at P&H and im only agency there now and again.

It’s nothing to do with the way drivers are treated, as already said plenty of places give perks to employees only.

The fact is that where most of us would be grateful for the perk and act responsibly some would abuse the situation and those few ruin it for everyone else.

Cadburys at Sheffield let you use the staff shop!! i only know this cos me and a fellow driver went in and walked out with a load of stuff, I ended up getting 40 rolls of wine gums for a quid and 12 mini eggs for 50p!!

The only restrictions where that you could only pay cash and a max spend of £25

They let you at Cadbury Minworth too or did in the past. You should’ve just said “yes I do work here”.

i was at britvic in chelmsford on a boiling day last year. there was buckets of pop everywhere but the miserable zb in the transport office said only staff could drink them for anyone else was treated as theft.

All the main Cadbury sites have staff shops and used to allow 2 visits per week, but as mentioned the priviledge gets abused.

I worked alongside 2 blokes from Cleveland Tankers who supplied all the pubs and shops in the North East with crisps and nuts from United Biscuits.

a certain factory i go to - has a sign up saying lunch served between 12.00 - 13.30 , under the sign it has 3rd party contractors and drivers served between 13.20 - 13.30 only :unamused:

so id forgot to pack a lunch , go round to the canteen at 12.30 for some scran - the women says are you a driver - ive not seen you before , i go yes , she says can you not read - no drivers until 13.20 , now mind i work for this company, - the same person who pays her wages pays mines, i had to get one of coordinator’s to explain that to the dumb ■■■■ :imp:

best staff shop Ive came across is CJ LAING in Dundee, everything is cheap as chips and the women serving you is actually friendly unlike some of the staff Ive encountered at other sites.

Willy Gofar:
The fact is that where most of us would be grateful for the perk and act responsibly some would abuse the situation and those few ruin it for everyone else.

Very true. Years ago I was working for BT on agency, at their Stafford depot. All the aluminium ladders on BT were replaced every three years, regardless of whether they’d been used or not. The decent old ones were sold off to staff at a very reasonable price (about a tenner for one of those compact ones that’d set you back a couple of hundred today) until one bloke fell off one and tried to sue BT for selling him a duff ladder.

Result; I spent several hours a week running a disc cutter through the returned ladders (some still in their wrappers) and throwing them into a skip. :neutral_face:

Halfords at Redditch used to have brilliant sales about twice a year. Agency were allowed and the stuff was really cheap. Not now though - stupid sods were flogging it at Studley Boot sale.

I remember sitting waiting for a load and watching two guys chopping roof racks up with bolt cutters. Apparently there was a minor defect and the weren’t worth sending back to China so they made sure they were destroyed before they went in the skip.

Easter Eggs are a con anyway - packaging costs more than the chocolate. Buy a bar of Milk Tray instead - much better value for money.

When I was tramping many moons ago (It was an old F7) I went to Cadburys, this was just before Easter, so into the shop I goes, buys a bunk load of Easter eggs for myself and friends kids etc… No problem there then…

Cept it was the warmest (Read Hottest) run up to Easter ever, by the end of the week my eggs were just moulten lumps of Choccy, even chilling them did not get the foil out of the choccy where they had collapsed, had to go and buy a load more :astonished:(

DieselDemon:
He must have been yolking. :laughing: :laughing:[/quote

more like egg on the face lol

Years ago I worked on agency at TNT Dordon on the VAG parts contract, we used to have to smash up all the parts returned under warranty from dealers. Once we had a load of Alloy wheels come back from a body shop, the cars they had been on had been involved in accidents and all the wheels were replaced as part of the repairs. Spent a whole day running an oxy cutter through near perfect alloys.

While not exactly fibbing, Ive been in places, & used the (staff only) staff shop & canteen facilities. When challenged about my employment "status" I tell em Im an agency driver, which is true.
I just dont work on [u]that[/u] site :laughing: Ive even had the cheek & gone into 1 or 2 RDC sites en route just to use the top notch canteen facilities. When I pull up at the gate, Ive told em Im here to collect pallets, parked up, used the canteen, then pulled out telling the gatehouse they wont let me have the pallets, or my paperwork isnt in order etc.

As for easter eggs, just wait till next week, there several “factory outlets” that sell off nearly out of date scoff, and you can pick up choccy eggs for pennies

merc0447:
a certain factory i go to - has a sign up saying lunch served between 12.00 - 13.30 , under the sign it has 3rd party contractors and drivers served between 13.20 - 13.30 only :unamused:

so id forgot to pack a lunch , go round to the canteen at 12.30 for some scran - the women says are you a driver - ive not seen you before , i go yes , she says can you not read - no drivers until 13.20 , now mind i work for this company, - the same person who pays her wages pays mines, i had to get one of coordinator’s to explain that to the dumb [zb] :imp:

best staff shop Ive came across is CJ LAING in Dundee, everything is cheap as chips and the women serving you is actually friendly unlike some of the staff Ive encountered at other sites.

then there’s tam the bam that tips you,driver split the pallets down!! my jobs to get it from A TO B. I’M NOT THE “C” THAT SPLITS IT!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: