Oh [zb]! Advice please

Made a bit of a school boy error last night and am starting to think it’s gonna come back to bite me;

Right, for ages now I’ve been driving for a couple of different agencies for the same company. On many occasions I’ve had a night run to southampton, it’s a one-stop distribution place and has always been reffered to as southampton. I’ve been there 20+ times, always the same place and always just told “southampton”.

Which is what I was told last night, so off I went - didn’t look at the paperwork because I know my way. Trouble is, it wasn’t one-stop :frowning: this time it was tesco :blush: And I didn’t realise until I’d spent over an hour ringing the place with no answer and finally checked the paperwork :open_mouth: I got round the corner sharpish to tesco (all of 2mins away) but was 45mins late (could have been half an hour early!). As you probably know - tesco fine the supplier and I’ve got a feeling the sticky stuff’s about to hit a very ■■■■■■ fan :frowning:

The agency’s just rang asking me to email a written explaination to them, I think to cover their own back but it sounded like they want me to make out it wasn’t made clear to me where I was going. Now I’ve got a great reputation with this company and get on well with everyone there and would rather just hold my hands up - which I did when I got back this morning anyway. I can see I need to tread carefuly here, any advice?

Make your apologies and tell the truth as you told here and chances are it won’t be any great drama. Tell porkies and it could be adios! We all make mistakes.

try and check with other agency maybe if yiu are still allowed there but my guess is ur rep is ■■■■■■ with this company now anyway so cover your arse with the agency

44 Tonne Ton:
Make your apologies and tell the truth as you told here and chances are it won’t be any great drama. Tell porkies and it could be adios! We all make mistakes.

plus me :wink:

Honesty is the best policy…in most cases :wink:

this is one of those cases :grimacing:

I’d go with 44tonne and Wheel Nut, be honest, with them.
We are all human and we all make mistakes and you say you’ve done plenty of work for them and have built a bit of a repore with them I doubt you’ll get no more than a minor bollocking and a bit of ■■■■ taking next time they give you some paper work.

If no major harm has been done then a bit of boot licking and grovelling should suffice. Contrary to popular belief we are human and as such we make mistakes. Put your hands up to it and it will probably blow over.

It could of been worse, you could of delivered it to one stop :laughing:

Its an easy mistake to make so I would just hold my hands up, I find you get more respect that way as well liars always get found out in the end. I would rather be called stupid for not reading the note than be called a liar. You say you have a good reputation already with the company so I am sure they will see it the same way

On the upside I bet you will check all the notes in future :wink:

Did anyone die because of your mistake ■■? :unamused:

Stop worrying, just tell the truth, it’s when you get Milan and Madrid mixed up then it’s time to worry…

I did something similar recently. The text said Howard Tenens (Sharpness), so I went there without reading the rest of the address (the address and postcode they have for this company are always wrong and this is a regular delivery for me). WhenI got to Sharpness with 20 mins to spare I was told that the collection reference was not one of theirs. I read the text again and the address was Howard Tenens (Sharpness) in Swindon :blush: . I rang the office and confessed, went as fast as I could to the Swindon Howard Tenens (Sharpness), got there 1 hr late, was loaded and never heard anything again.

Honesty is (usually) the best policy.

I agree with everyone else just put your hands up to it and tell the truth, if you start blaming the company for not giving proper instructions you can most likely say goodbye to the job.

As it is you’ve made a mistake which is likely to be forgotten about soon, it would be foolish to compound the mistake with lies :wink:

Deepinvet:
Stop worrying, just tell the truth, it’s when you get Milan and Madrid mixed up then it’s time to worry…

Driver where I used to work made it all the way to Paris before he realised the trl was empty and he had picked up the wrong one.

Thanks guys, dunno what I was asking for really - I’ll always hold my hands up when I’ve made a mistake but you don’t wanna be in the fireing line when I’m wrongly accused :blush:

To the best of my knowledge, the company (or at least the tm) got the truth when I got back and said they’d put it down as “caught in traffic” There was another person from the same agency there at the time and I think some stiring might have gone on between this person and the agency. I’ll do as said either way and can only cross my fingers.

Yea, just say “Sorry, my mistake, I flicked up”. I have had to do it many times myself, but it at least shows that you have taken the lesson on board, you aren’t trying to shift responsibility elsewhere and have learned from it.

The incident has happened and you can’t un-ring a bell. Lying about it won’t help you. Just say what you said here and by Tuesday it will be Monday’s chip wrapper.

Deepinvet:

or saxon & kingsdyke… :blush: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

This happens a lot more often than you think, I have taken 25 tonnes of coal to the invoice address (Nottingham) instead of the delivery address (Stoke) you were lucky, I have not made the same mistake since and you probably won’t either. Just be honest, there is absolutely no excuse for it as you have been given the correct paperwork, if they are worth working for they will give you another chance. It could have been lots worse and you could have had the wrong trailer wrong paperwork wrong end of the country.

to err is to be human

I had a luck escape once got told to load for chedburgh. Over the phone it sounded like Jedburgh. Luckily I worked it out before we set off.

How’s this look, bear in mind the company may well see this;

Re. My mistake last night, though I explained myself to someone at [company] when I got back this morning and the matter seemed to have been resolved I’ll explain as you asked;

As you know, I’ve worked at [company] a reasonable amount over the last few years and, until now, have had an excellent rapport and reputation at [company site] - and hope to rebuild this as quickly as possible as necessary.

In the time I’ve been driving for [company], I’ve been to Southampton a number of times - twenty or so at a guess. It’s always been the one-stop r.d.c. and has always been referred to as simply “Southampton”, I’ve never delivered to any other destination in the area.

When I was asked to go to Southampton last night, I assumed (wrongly, as it turned out) that I was going to the usual place; one-stop. I know my way there having been so many times so didn’t look at the paperwork for the address. Having arrived at the gate at around 01:00hrs, I called the number (as instructed on the gate) to let them know I was there but nobody answered, I tried every 5-10 minutes but to no avail for about an hour. Eventually, I decided to check the paperwork which (to my horror, if I’m honest) was for Tesco. Fortunately Tesco’s r.d.c. is on the same industrial estate and I made my way there as quickly as possible but was about 45 minutes late.

I can only apologise for my mistake and note that it was a valuable lesson learned