Oh [zb]! Advice please

darkseeker:
How’s this look, bear in mind the company may well see this;

Re. My mistake last night, though I explained myself to someone at [company] when I got back this morning and the matter seemed to have been resolved I’ll explain as you asked;

As you know, I’ve worked at [company] a reasonable amount over the last few years and, until now, have had an excellent rapport and reputation at [company site] - and hope to rebuild this as quickly as possible as necessary.

In the time I’ve been driving for [company], I’ve been to Southampton a number of times - twenty or so at a guess. It’s always been the one-stop r.d.c. and has always been referred to as simply “Southampton”, I’ve never delivered to any other destination in the area.

When I was asked to go to Southampton last night, I assumed (wrongly, as it turned out) that I was going to the usual place; one-stop. I know my way there having been so many times so didn’t look at the paperwork for the address. Having arrived at the gate at around 01:00hrs, I called the number (as instructed on the gate) to let them know I was there but nobody answered, I tried every 5-10 minutes but to no avail for about an hour. Eventually, I decided to check the paperwork which (to my horror, if I’m honest) was for Tesco. Fortunately Tesco’s r.d.c. is on the same industrial estate and I made my way there as quickly as possible but was about 45 minutes late.

I can only apologise for my mistake and note that it was a valuable lesson learned

Looks about right to me

Yea that will do… it really is not a big deal though and I wouldn’t even bother to send the email unless they prompt you for a reminder. Least said, soonest mended!

darkseeker:

Looks good to me, though if it was me I’d probably phone the agency and ask if the company have said anything about the incident.

If the company haven’t complained to the agency it will give you an opportunity to point out to the agency that you believe the TM is going to put it down as “caught in traffic”, so they’re obviously happy with what you usually do for them and there’s little point in sending the explanation email :wink:

Harry Monk:
Yea that will do… it really is not a big deal though and I wouldn’t even bother to send the email unless they prompt you for a reminder. Least said, soonest mended!

Same as that!
Oi you! Where’s that cheap cpc you were on about?

Do Tesco really have the front to charge if you turn up late? From my experience with them very few of their staff have any idea of time.

Done, it’ll have to do :unamused:

waddy640:
Do Tesco really have the front to charge if you turn up late? From my experience with them very few of their staff have any idea of time.

fpmsl, my thoughts exactly.

That’s what I’ve heard from a relatively reliable source.

The proof that they can’t tell the time is that one time when tipping at Weybridge, they were queueing at the clock at 1325hrs for a 1400hrs finish.

tachograph:

darkseeker:

Looks good to me, though if it was me I’d probably phone the agency and ask if the company have said anything about the incident.

That’s the last thing he should do.

I have been late at RDCs literally dozens of times, everyone else in the entire movement will have forgotten about it five minutes later, why phone the agency up to remind them of your failure long after they have forgotten it?

To the OP, look just forget about it, it doesn’t matter, it’s history.

Thankyou Harry - hope you’re right. I’m only worried really because it’s my favorite and best paying job. Would be a good 'un for my first few runs in an artic too.

Thanks everyone else too, I’ve done everything I can. I’ll let you know the outcome.

Harry Monk:

tachograph:

darkseeker:

That’s the last thing he should do.

I have been late at RDCs literally dozens of times, everyone else in the entire movement will have forgotten about it five minutes later, why phone the agency up to remind them of your failure long after they have forgotten it?

Hardly “long after they have forgotten it” Harry, according to the opening post the agency today asked for an explanation email, I’d want to know if a complaint has been made and if not why the agency are bothered enough to ask for an explanation.

Simply ignoring the agencies request for an email explaining what happened is likely to just ■■■■ them off.

Deepinvet:
Stop worrying, just tell the truth, it’s when you get Milan and Madrid mixed up then it’s time to worry…

Exactly. This is the kind of mistake that can & does happen in this industry, what you did doesn’t even register on the scale.

You delivered the right load, to the right place, with the right paperwork, …45 minutes late, hey, big deal.

Probably even got an extra hour’s pay out of it :laughing:

Anyway, Tesco used to operate an “hour either side of booking time is ok” policy, do they still?

I once had two loads to pull out of a well known blue chip food manufacturers on our own trailers… Its a Sunday & My last afternoon of 3 days away & its pouring down. Got the 1st trailer, pallet count, strap, hook up, build lights up, ready for the road, to the office get paperwork, notes into the back except gatehouse copy. Away to the gatehouse, security checks the notes & writes them up & off I go to port. Goes back for the 2nd load & can’t find the trailer anywhere, but I do see the trailer I’ve just taken to the port. Eh■■? :open_mouth: :unamused:
I’ve taken the 2nd trailer first with the paperwork for the OTHER load in it… and the security guy has let me out with a trl no. that didn’t match the paperwork!!!

Had to do a bit of talking to get the 2nd load out! Luckily both loads were going to the same customer so I informed the office requesting they inform the customer. I also wrote a note explaining the situation on the 2nd lot of notes.

See darkseeker, even experienced drivers ■■■■ up sometimes.

Your only 15 minutes late Tesco allow 30mins each side of the booking time.No worry’s

waddy640:

they do when its break time or finishing time

thats it though.

I went to a wine merchants in Tooley st to pick up four empty wine vats for Harveys at Bristol… Off I went, and when I got there, the bloke said, “you should have put this on the train.” I phoned the boss, got a bollocking and a ■■■■ take and that was that, except for a bit more ■■■■ taking.

keano1:
Did anyone die because of your mistake ■■? :unamused:

in shock myself that you actually had a REAL deliverey address.
45 mins late an you have to give the agencey a written explanation so they can put you forward as a sacrifical lamb.
you never smashed a motor up

you werent involved in an accident.

time you changed youre agencey.

A tale of 2 wincanton drivers destination rothesay island.
1st one went to irvine got refuse to board phoned in you should be in strobatain.
a good way away driver falls asleep survives.
motor/trailer/load lost.
2nd driver turns right at tarbert instead of left gets to 0600 tip at 1030

no such thing as a milk run.

never take anything for granted.

familirarity breeds contempt.

i drive for one stop in southampton my old mate,
theres a night shift on these days so if you have trouble getting anyone on the number on the gate ,go round the front near the tesco entrance and weve got two lots of double gates round there.
go to the one furthest up the road from tescos gate where the car park is and if its open go to the main reception door and theres a security guard sat in there,tell him why youre there and he’ll go get some one for you .
if the gates locked blast your horn a couple of times to wake him up and he should come out.
hope this helps you in the future
cheers, mick.

Thanks for that mate, its just as well no-one answered; I wasn’t supposed to be there in the first place :blush:

As far as Tesco Southampton is concerned… dont worry too much about being late. I go there everyday (more or less) and as long as you get the correct day its not too much of a prob.
Get the correct shift and they like it better.
turn up on time and they will just laugh at you. Well they do me.

If it ever happens again, apologise for being late on the intercom and see if they will mark you on time.
Also If “Firoz” answers the intercom (he is best described as an asian glaswegian) tell him it was Mudda on da motovay. Blokes a nutter in the nicest possible way.