The best "modern day" tractor unit

Which is it? You decide.

No prizes,it’s just for fun.

Dan.

have never driven a new magnum or actros and i have never driven a 95 daf.
so i can only base my opinions on what i have driven.
every scania i have driven where pies of doo doo, they just dont do it for me.
the daf cf was a good truck in its day, but outdated now.
the old actros was truck of the year in 97 but its now 2004.
the new erfs and mans are decent enough
and the nex axor which i know well pulls like a train but it is built to a price.
fm volvo not that bad either for a fleet truck.

but the best truck for me is the volvo fh, bearing in mind im 6 ft 3 these volvos really suit me. thay have to be the best all rounder.

Do Mitsi rubbishy still do a 7.5 ton tractor unit ?.

Like most not driven all on the list, but have driven most of them on agency or as demo motors and all modern trucks seem to do a good job and all have good features and bad features but over all the MAN TGA was the best.

I havent drove a truck in anger for almost a year! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

but when I was driving Volvo had a shout but just for room alone I have picked IVECO!

Anything that allows you still operate the radio after ‘handing in’ the keys.

Krankee:

That’ll be the merc then. :laughing: :laughing:

Dan.

No, Volvo FM, certain models, and MAN’s that have additional electric window controls accessible from the bunk area.

Krankee:
No, Volvo FM, certain models, and MAN’s that have additional electric window controls accessible from the bunk area.

Still the merc.

Krankee:

And the Volvo and the Scania and the Merc but i cant remember about the Stralis.

I voted for the Starlis purely due to the space avaialble inside it. Have drove a Merc Axor highroof but couldnt see the point in it having one as the passenger seat gets in the way if you want to stand up.

Krankee:

Take it off the ignitions accessory circuit and wire it to the permanent live feed - that should solve the problem!

Krankee:

that will be the m.a.n. tga 410 :laughing: :laughing:

Hmmmm, don’t know why you joined the DAF CF and the foden in the same tickbox. But I voted for the later CF 85 (close contest with the XF), best laid out, comfortable, driver freindly truck with abundance of storage…(MAN & ERF :unamused: Ha Ha)

I think my vote was fairly predictable…and yes, you can still use the radio and windows etc. in a Stralis without the keys. :wink:

I had to pick either Magnum or FH, since I love both of them. Never tried the stralis, but I’m not a big Iveco fan… Hrm…
Lucy? Wanna swap a volvo 770 for the stralis for a week? :laughing:

I voted for the CF/Alpha as for me its the best all round value for money truck out there.If and when Foden decide to put a 500 horse ■■■■■■■■■■■ engine with AS Tronic in the XL Alpha I intend to be one of the first in the Q :exclamation: :smiley:
The first thing that will be on the spec list is without a doubt a Jake brake.

:laughing: :laughing: best modern day puller? Scania 143 :wink:

allikat:
Hrm…
Lucy? Wanna swap a volvo 770 for the stralis for a week? :laughing:

NO!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

daxi:
Do Mitsi rubbishy still do a 7.5 ton tractor unit ?.

yes Daxi,saw one today on the A303 coming out of Andover,our local Mercedes Truck dealer is an agent for them.

Also I think there was an article in a recent edition of T&D about marks and sparks running these in central London,I think the logistics company was Excel,although I may be wrong. :confused: :laughing: :laughing:

Dan.

Whilst I am a big Volvo fan, I’m also a big fan of the XF too.

Where I think DAF have listened to what the drivers want and have taken big steps forward with the current XF, I think Volvo have taken backward steps on build quality and reliability, and I’m afraid for Volvo that because of that my vote goes on the XF. The only things I feel that let the XF down is the appalling VDO radio, the equally appalling and useless exhaust brake and the very poor turning circle; it wasn’t that bad on the previous model.

It’s no secret that while although the current model FM12 is a nice, comfortable and stable motor to drive, it’s reliability is worse than Iveco, S.A. and ERF put together. Additionally, it has a number of build quality issues shared with the FH models :

• Manual gear linkage falling to pieces as soon as you pull out of the factory.

• Mirrors so big that you may as well put a blind across both side windows. I think that all the current models should have been recalled and had them changed as a serious safety issue. Clearly the designers aren’t drivers or else they would have immediately noticed that vehicles approaching you from the right at junctions and roundabouts get “lost” behind the mirrors with potentially fatal results. There was nothing wrong with original FH and FM style mirrors - extremely stylish and ahead of their time but still allowing fairly good visibility around them.

• Poor headlight assembly. While the designers might have thought that putting a layer of perspex in front of them looked good and stopped the glass getting cracked/smashed from stones, they didn’t realise that dirt both sticks to the perspex meaning that it gets heavily scratched when cleaned off, thus drastically reducing headlight efficiency over time, but also the dirt get down the back in between the glass and the perspex which is impossible to clean/remove without taking the headlight housing to pieces.

• Infinite electrical issues.

On a personal note, the final nail in the coffin is the I-shift automatic gear box. It is truly awful and far too slow to change gear in my opinion - this is even after teaching it how you like to drive. The power setting on it is useless and makes no difference whatsoever. However, at the other end of the spectrum I’m aware that many drivers like it but I think it would be a close 50:50 split if every driver that’s used it were to be polled for their opinion.

Having said all that, I do particularly like the 3 stage exhaust brake which - if the correct gears are selected - totally eliminates the need for a wheel brake system! Also very fond of the ultra-precise ‘quick-rack’ steering which makes them a dream to drive for me personally but I’m afraid to say I would still take an early model FH12 14-speed manual over a later one (manual or I-shift).[/list]