Best MPG Tractor Units 2010 onwards

Hi guys I’m looking to buy a tractor unit 2010 onwards, what are your thoughts on the best fuel return units ? I’ve heard the mercs are good.

Can only say based on experience of what I’ve driven so far, but as much as I hate to admit it, DAF CF seem pretty good compared to most. After 15 plates they drink Adblue and have a lot of expensive gearbox issues.

Renault’s that we had hired were very underpowered and absolutely drank fuel. Horrible nasty truck.

Mercs seem to vary. Current lot hired one of the crappy basic ones and it had shares in Esso / Shell. However at another co they had the better ones and they didn’t seem bad on fuel at all. All around 15 plates too. Actros vs summut?

Volvo - you wont notice the fuel as you’ll be enjoying the ride too much. I believe Renault make them but sooo different.

Iveco hire…had to attach the fuel tanker to the trailer!

All cases have been fully loaded mostly. It seems Euro 6 vs 5 tends to drink more in my experience esp in DAFs.

I’ve driven nearly all makes apart from Iveco since 2010, and to be perfectly honest on my full weight work there isn’t a great deal of difference between the makes, but, in all cases they have to be driven for a while to be able to get the best from each one, making the most efficient use of the strengths and weaknesses of each.
All of them will drink fuel if you drive them badly, all of them are capable of good fuel economy if you drive them properly.

Its the drivers right foot, coupled with anticipation, making full use of terrain baring in mind every yard you travel on overrun uses no fuel at all, trying where possible not to come to a halt at junctions etc that makes the world of difference.

Best economy i’ve ever seen in a wagon has been from 420 Scanias, some of them geared to run at just over 1000rpm @ 55mph, engine happy to run all day at under 1000rpm, and yes i’ve seen a genuine 15mpg from them (photo sitting on one of my old phones), admittedly on very light work, eg clothing.

A good used Scania will always be expensive though.
Worse fuel consumption has been from Volvos without a doubt.

Oddly enough one of the best reliable durable workhorses i’ve driven has been the (unwanted and unappreciated by the glory boys) simple square Axor, especially if its got the 430 engine coupled to a manual box, these again will happily pull strongly from 800rpm, and good fuel figures can be had if that huge low engine speed torque is utilised, wouldn’t touch an auto Merc with a barge pole, its just a horrible box to drive.
Unfashionable as they are, possibly a good value used buy.

trevHCS:
Can only say based on experience of what I’ve driven so far, but as much as I hate to admit it, DAF CF seem pretty good compared to most. After 15 plates they drink Adblue and have a lot of expensive gearbox issues.

Renault’s that we had hired were very underpowered and absolutely drank fuel. Horrible nasty truck.

Mercs seem to vary. Current lot hired one of the crappy basic ones and it had shares in Esso / Shell. However at another co they had the better ones and they didn’t seem bad on fuel at all. All around 15 plates too. Actros vs summut?

Volvo - you wont notice the fuel as you’ll be enjoying the ride too much. I believe Renault make them but sooo different.

All cases have been fully loaded mostly. It seems Euro 6 vs 5 tends to drink more in my experience esp in DAFs.

Cheers for that bud, yeah I like the Dafs I think the most comfy as far as what I’ve driven , volvos are nice but bit pricey , recently drove a 67 plate Renault good spec seemed nice enough but not sure if I would but an older one

Think it’s betweek dAf / Merc and scania but think they are a bit thirsty,

Juddian:
I’ve driven nearly all makes apart from Iveco since 2010, and to be perfectly honest on my full weight work there isn’t a great deal of difference between the makes, but, in all cases they have to be driven for a while to be able to get the best from each one, making the most efficient use of the strengths and weaknesses of each.
All of them will drink fuel if you drive them badly, all of them are capable of good fuel economy if you drive them properly.

Its the drivers right foot, coupled with anticipation, making full use of terrain baring in mind every yard you travel on overrun uses no fuel at all, trying where possible not to come to a halt at junctions etc that makes the world of difference.

Best economy i’ve ever seen in a wagon has been from 420 Scanias, some of them geared to run at just over 1000rpm @ 55mph, engine happy to run all day at under 1000rpm, and yes i’ve seen a genuine 15mpg from them (photo sitting on one of my old phones), admittedly on very light work, eg clothing.

Oddly enough one of the best reliable durable workhorses i’ve driven has been the (unwanted and unappreciated by the glory boys) simple square Axor, especially if its got the 430 engine coupled to a manual box, these again will happily pull strongly from 800rpm, and good fuel figures can be had if that huge low engine speed torque is utilised, wouldn’t touch an auto Merc with a barge pole, its just a horrible box to drive.

Yeah thanks for the input bud, that’s the main problem is the price for a good used Scania, maybe just worth it as it will hold its value more than most, yeah def down to the driver mostly with the mpg but a good one helps for sure.

Axor is ok but manual is a pain as I’ve got used to autos not sure I could go back lol.

Wee Man:
Hi guys I’m looking to buy a tractor unit 2010 onwards, what are your thoughts on the best fuel return units ? I’ve heard the mercs are good.

I drive all types except probably Ivecos.

The Daf CF is way ahead in terms of fuel consumption and is a good mid range motor if a tad over fussy. It is surprisingly fast for what it is too. The main problem with them is the stupid electrical faults - almost constant. Mercs can have a slightly higher number of them too.

To my mind no one makes a stand out truck. There are a lot of silly little things that manufacturers do or don’t do that makes one annoyed.

A few examples

• best mirror controls Daf/Volvo
  • best exhaust brake Volvo
  • best suspension controls Scania/pre-67 Daf
  • best on board computer Merc Actros
  • best sun blinds Volvo/Renault
  • smoothest auto box Scania
  • most under rated truck MAN
  • least hassle overspeed MAN/Merc Actros
  • worst suspension Merc Actros
  • easiest truck to drive Scania

An owner-driver mate dropped from Merc to DAF.
Loaded mpg was comparable but running light the Merc consumption was about one or two mpg better but the DAF was giving about three or four more mpg.
So he reckoned one or two mpg better for DAF overall, but that would be better if running light all the time, but zero if running heavy.
The Merc was putting in better trip times loaded.
Nothing is easy.

The best unit for fuel is the one I don’t drive… Flat to mat all day wooosh gone.

in our fleet its
DAF
Volvo
Mercedes

Merc is the best

roadstars.mercedes-benz.com/en_ … ndard.html

The closer you get to 2010 then probably Mercedes will be best on fuel. From about 2015 then Mercedes were caught and overtaken for fuel consumption by Scania and then DAF. From 2017 DAF has had the best fuel consumption. The company runs Mercedes, DAF and Scania with a smattering of MANs. I can’t speak for Volvo as we haven’t bought any for years. My depot fleet mpg for last week was 10.4 mpg, which is quite constant at this time of year. There are 15 DAFs and 8 Mercs, all 44 tonners, 60% fridge work, 40% powder tankers, day runs, trampers, and night trunking.

Our lot would sell their Grandmother to save on feeding her, in other words tight as arse holes and do not like spending.a tenner if they can get away with 9.99…so bearing that fact in mind…
They’ve looked at everything, with fuel costs being their main concern, and they chose Mercs. :cry:
Good on fuel but a complete heap of ■■■■ in all other aspects…especially from the pov of the driver.
Hope that helps. :smiley:

Wee Man:

trevHCS:

Cheers for that bud, yeah I like the Dafs I think the most comfy as far as what I’ve driven , volvos are nice but bit pricey , recently drove a 67 plate Renault good spec seemed nice enough but not sure if I would but an older one

Think it’s betweek dAf / Merc and scania but think they are a bit thirsty,

Ref the DAF after 15 plate there have been no major issues ref the gearbox ,there have been software updates done under warranty

I got phenomenal mileage out of a Euro 5 Volvo FH540. It was chipped to 620hp and produced the same numbers a Euro 6 FH540 would, with the difference of being loaded with 30t and the Euro 6 was empty. Yes, that drastic.

If you’re buying a 2010 motor would mpg be top of the list . Would not condition and been looked after one be better or the one you can get repaired locally and reasonably cost wise as I guess it won’t be going in a main dealer for everything at that age. Just wondered.

trevHCS:

Huh? I do a 580km run to Lockerbie and back from Howden over the A66 and use about 5 litres of Adblue in the 18 plate CF480. It uses less adblue than both the Mercs, MANs and Ivecos we have on spot hire. Running about 35 tonnes going up and coming back around 42 tonnes keeping it in eco mode that adds maybe a few minutes to the journey I’m using around 150-160 litres, using 20-30 litres less than the 64 plate CF 450s we had.

Juddian:

I had this axor back in the 2000’s and it was a right work horse. I thrashed the nuts off it and it never let me down. It was a 430 with the actros ‘telegent’ gearbox and it pulled like a train! It was very good on fuel considering how I drove it. Yes, an undesirable motor but was so willing and strong. Remembered fondly.

^^^ that’s the one Nomi, a very very underrated workhorse.
I preferred the manual though to take advantage of that really low engine speed lugging power.

Also one of the most competent vehicles in snow i’ve ever come across, helped by the mid lift on 6x2’s being completely under the control of the driver.
Last time i drove in really bad conditions, i’d had an MAN a week or two before stuck going nowhere on polished packed snow, about half an inch of the stuff stopped it, in fact rocking it back and forth only served to overheat arsetronic which then promptly shut down in the middle of the road, oh joy :unamused: .

Back in my trusty 6x2 Axor, it snowed like buggery a week or two later, by the time it finished was about 6" deep, that Merc just laughed at the stuff, even reversing uphill into a yard it never gave a single slip, cars vans lorries buses all around struggling to make any headway at all, bloody thing was only on Encore remoulds on the drive axle and they were half worn, bloody good lorry that and would be high up my shopping list if i was an OD on a budget, never gave a moments trouble either.

Odd days:
If you’re buying a 2010 motor would mpg be top of the list . Would not condition and been looked after one be better or the one you can get repaired locally and reasonably cost wise as I guess it won’t be going in a main dealer for everything at that age. Just wondered.

Hi there,

Yeah not the be all and end all etc but will def help, I’m looking to spend around 12k - 15k tops, I understand it’s a risk but one which could pay off with the same token,

Suppose we will only see when I actually buy a unit, I think condition is clearly important but looking for something all round really,

Just nice to see everyone’s thoughts on it and I appreciate all who have left comments. :slight_smile:

Juddian:
^^^ that’s the one Nomi, a very very underrated workhorse.
I preferred the manual though to take advantage of that really low engine speed lugging power.

The 52 plate version I had before that was only a 350 but had the 8 speed slap across manual. It began to give me a permanent elbow ache from slapping the stick over so I preferred the telegent box. You still had the clutch peddle for control, necessary on building site work imo, but the click click gear selector was great. I know a lot hated it but once you had driven it for long enough to time the clutch release instinctively it was superb.
As for the MAN arescronic [emoji57]
As I’ve said before, when I was going to be given a MAN as my next steed last year and told to spec it I went for the comfort shift manual box (no longer available apparently [emoji30]). I’ve not been anywhere near stuck on sites since [emoji1360]