Tesco.... Morrisons

Just in case some of you are interested…

By September of 2005 Tesco and Morrisons will both be opening massive new DC’s in the Peterborough area, all within about two weeks of each other by all accounts…

There is one other major player also doing the same thing but, sorry, the name escapes me!!!

From what I have been told, all three will be looking for 500 drivers for each of their depots… Tesco will be taking some drivers from existing DC’s and obviously their package will be the usual industry leader…

I have been told that Morrisons ‘day’ drivers do 12 hour shifts, 4 on 4 off and their ‘nights’ do 10 hour shifts 4 on 4 off. The money, whether its basic or not I dont know is supposed to be £31K!!

If you can get on the agencies in the area, it could be a quick way in?

I can only really comment with authority on the Tesco details as I work for them, anything else is as usual, subject to ‘drivers exagerationalism’!!

Terry

If this is true, then Peterborough’s wages are going to go through the roof while these companies fight for drivers, both employed and agency. Don’t sound as though they have thought that one out.

I’d be surprised if Morrisons pay anywhere near £31k, they are tight as duck’s bums. They keep their Trucks for ten years and so called refurbish them every three, bet they don’t do the seat.

I for one can’t abide Day-cabs, which Tesco usually insist on having. They still seem to have a lot of those day-cab, P-cab Scania’s, because they can’t sell them to anybody. Not surprisingly. It wouldn’t matter what the money was, I can’t drive them, too cramped, and can’t move afterwards

i think b+q are also due to open another dc and i think it is the worksop area. This is due to be 1million sqft site. This is following the success of the new dc that opened near doncaster at redhill a few months ago.

this is great news for the peterborough area. i knew about tescos but not morrisons. its about time the wages went in in this area. not that im on poor money, but i have always had to travel to be on this good money.
still ive done supermarket work before and after 5 years i had had enough of the job.

morrisons at northampton (formerly safeways)have a advert in there goods in window for day drivers at 25k and nights 30.5 k based on a 52 hour week. i belive that is 4 on 4 off.

worth a look in if your in the area

jon

morrisons rdcs are all over the place, their main one is going to be at burton latimer on the A14, but no cold store, they have moved into a cold store at thrapston, next to ikea, they are building something in corby, and they have the old safeways at swan vallet at J15A, M1! northamptonshire is a nightmare to get drivers as the rdc’s have them all!

paul

Bones:
i think b+q are also due to open another dc and i think it is the worksop area. This is due to be 1million sqft site. This is following the success of the new dc that opened near doncaster at redhill a few months ago.

Indeed Bones we are opening one at Manor Wood not far from Wilkinsons,where the drivers are going to come from i just dont know!!!.

Apparently it will be the largest DC in the UK.

Theres a big place going up by us, cannock. Its that big the suns gonna be delayed 10 mins coming up when its done! I heard from a mate it was a Morrisons NDC? Anybody know better?

All sounds like good news to me - “they’ll be fighting for drivers” only means one thing… :slight_smile: