Working at Tesco Livingston (for Monarch)

Long time since I’ve been on here as I’ve been festering away at Saints Transport in Glasgow for the last 6 years. I’m now fed up with running about for charity after 6 years of pay freeze followed by a 5% CUT this year.

Today I’ve been offered agency work (Monarch) working for Tesco at Livingston RDC… It all sounded good at the interview, but anyone have any experiences (bad or good) that they would like to share? The money’s a lot better, the trucks too; and they seem to be a company that actually cares about their workers. My main worry is that they might just be getting drivers to sign up to help them with the Christmas rush, then when January comes the work might all dry up. Quick replies appreciated as I have to let them know by next Tuesday (30th November).
A big minus for me is that I live 65 miles away so it would be bed and breakfast accommodation while working.

Cheers for any advice…

sorry i cant help you on your tesco question thing mate, but just wanted to say i done some agency work for saints down in heathrow, surprised you say the motors they have in glasgow arent much good, they have mostly a newish fleet down there with a few old units and rigids what are being replaced around now. they got a load of 57 reg units in a while ago and have more on the way, thats from a mate of mine who works for them.

as for the pay cuts, i hear thats coz the top mans son was left to run the business for a while and didnt do a very good job of it from what i know, lost alot of money, bit of a flash fella by all accounts, driving round in a brand new porsche straight after drivers were told pay cuts were having to be made.

i know things are gradually picking up at heathrow, dont know anything about the other depots, but think your taking a risk leavin a full time job to go on agency work, the grass might not be greener on the other side.

all the best in what ever you decide :smiley: :smiley:

I wouldnt mate, NEVER trust agencies. You may be stuck in a job you dont like with a pay freeze (I’ve not had a pay increase in 3 years, and I think this applies to a lot of us on here) but if the job is steady I’d stick with it, too much of a risk. Agencies are a a first (if your coming into the industry) and a last resort (if you lose your job) in my book. Stick with the devil you know until you find another job if youre that unhappy there.

I’ve considered jumping ship and doing the same; but the phone calls at the drop of a hat, switched shifts, cancelled shifts, travel to various places to collect the unit etc etc is all to much hassle. You may find they have you running out of Tesco Livingston (nice place to work)for a week/two/three month whatever, but if the opportunity arises to put you elsewhere for more money or convienence they will change your shift giving you no thought whatsoever, may be I’m wrong in this but personelly, I’d leave it.