Supermarket drivers.

Hi, could anyone help with the following.
When driving for the supermarkets like Tesco & Asda etc are you employed by them or by the company which operates the DC?
Are all the DC operated by logistics companies or do the supermarkets run any themselves?
What are the shifts and what sort of money are the drivers on? Superdrug at Wallington have got an advert outside offering 30 grand a year, is this about the same as Tesco etc…
How many drops roughly are there per day and how big is the area you cover and do you only work from one DC and is it just DC-STORE-DC-STORE etc?

Thanks.

my mate does days driving class 1 for Asda & he gets £9.10 an hour for a basic 45hour week.
My brotherin law works for agency driving for Tesco on nights class 1 in Manchester he is on good wages as he is self employed(nova).

Most supermarkets logistics are run by a third party and it will be them who will become your employer,though you might wear the uniform of the “contract”

Some however do run there own fleets.

The work is very easy usually and its normally no more than 2 loads a day maybe 3 drops a load on pallets or roll cages.

Dont usually cover large areas maybe 400k’s a day max depending on depot coverage for that area

Lots of various shifts starting through the full 24hr period is the norm

hope that helps. :wink:

Ditto to what Bones said.

Easiest job in the world - except for the container boys. :laughing:

I rarely do more than 300km a day. Pay is great for round this area.

Kit is very well maintained, though some fleet motors are very grubby. It is more likely that you drive whatever happens to be in the yard than a regular motor, but this isn’t always the case.

Some depots are in house, some 3rd party contractors.

Some really unusual shift patterns are available, but the pay reflects this.

flying_fenman:
Easiest job in the world - except for the container boys. :laughing:

So id be doing a little more work than im doing at the moment then :question: :laughing:
Had a heavy day last week on the boxes…9 1/2hr tip :exclamation: :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing:

Who has DC around the Suffolk/Essex area. Tesco have one in Thurock dont they but who else and where?

Cheers lads.

Tesco Harlow.

Sainsbury Waltham.

ASDA Dartford i think (OK that’s Kent, but only about 2 miles from Thurrock)

flying_fenman:
Ditto to what Bones said.

Easiest job in the world

That’s for sure. To quote an Asda driver I was having a conversation with last week, " I could never go back to a proper transport company, it would be too much like hard work after Asda." :wink: :smiley:

coop in ipswich
aldi chelmsford
coop thurrock

jon

coop in thurrock just opened
desperate for drivers

I work for the same peeps as flying fenman… (see his siggy)

You’ll get between 2 and 6-7 drops on a run… I do nights, and we tend to do more one-hit drops, where they have the whole trl at one store… The day boys have more drops, but fewer cages at each…

They give you plenty of time to get places, there’s rarely a ‘rush’ on, but you can do the hours if you want…

On friday night, I did 2 drops in south wales, back to the depot, swap trl’s, and went off to Shropshire… Ended up doing 13hrs, which is LOADS for us… !!! Most do their 9 and go home… !!

I wouldn’t do anything else now… :smiley:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

cyclicscooby:
I work for the same peeps as flying fenman… (see his siggy)

You’ll get between 2 and 6-7 drops on a run

No wonder sherburn shut :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: thats a weeks work that… :sunglasses: