It has to be Asda

Now i’m not into supermarket trolley dolley stuff but if they were recruiting at my local depot i’d have to give it serious consideration as they do seem to be going somewhere.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26918527 …Forgot to put this in. :blush:

They are advertising for Class 1 Drivers from Lutterworth, not sure what DC it is from though.

I worked for them awhile back out of Normanton the rota was all over the place and the start times were crap! I stuck it for a year but working 6 full weekends out of 10 didn’t float my boat!

Friend of mine works for them at Lutterworth,been there a few years now. 24/7 operation with 5/7 shifts I would imagine “newbies” will get the dog shifts that the old stagers don`t want.

Dead mans shoes @ the nearest Asda DC to me, applied years ago & kept getting zb’d off & gave up, rotas aren’t my cup of tea anyway :slight_smile:

Could give it a go and apply for it. If you get an interview you’ll know what sort of rota you’d be expected to work, wages, etc. If you’re offered the job but still don’t fancy it you can always turn it down.

I would imagine that there will be heavier demand on the supplier firms as well. I can’t imagine any supermarket taking on thousands of C+E full timers without building a huge brand new RDC somewhere.

Talk of “Lutterworth” makes it sound like Magna Park site is still going to be centre of the universe here.

It would be nice to see any new business employing drivers full time to open up where there are plenty of drivers without full time jobs living, rather than build it in some rich neighbourhood, and bus workers in from elsewhere.

That means NOT inside the M25, Golden Triangle, outside a major city, M4 Corridor, etc etc.
Every county has it’s unemployment black spot after all. Build new depots there.

^^^^^^ there’s a huge new Asda rdc going up on the side of the M62, opposite to Brakes new place near Burtonwood, rumour has it it’s going to be ambient.

Winseer:
I would imagine that there will be heavier demand on the supplier firms as well. I can’t imagine any supermarket taking on thousands of C+E full timers without building a huge brand new RDC somewhere.

Talk of “Lutterworth” makes it sound like Magna Park site is still going to be centre of the universe here.

It would be nice to see any new business employing drivers full time to open up where there are plenty of drivers without full time jobs living, rather than build it in some rich neighbourhood, and bus workers in from elsewhere.

That means NOT inside the M25, Golden Triangle, outside a major city, M4 Corridor, etc etc.
Every county has it’s unemployment black spot after all. Build new depots there.

It would have to be commercially viable though, wherever they build it.

Don’t think I’d want to work anywhere else.

Same as all supermarket work, Yeah we have to work weekends, 50% weekends actually. If I’m finished past 2pm on a weekend its rare.

The pay and conditions, easy work and going home clean every day more than makes up for that though. :sunglasses:

George@ASDA driver:
The pay and conditions, easy work and going home clean every day more than makes up for that though. :sunglasses:

This is the reason a drivers pay will never be brilliant, easy and clean. Years back it was heavy and dirty.

brados:

George@ASDA driver:

This is the reason a drivers pay will never be brilliant, easy and clean. Years back it was heavy and dirty.

What is the reason?

There’s a new place being built at Magna Park, right opposite the existing Asda ambient facility. No idea who is going in there.

George@ASDA driver:

brados:

George@ASDA driver:

What is the reason?

The work is now easy and clean, you turn up for work to a loaded truck and just drive it, no unloading and just drive the truck back, park it up and go home, in fact you could have spent up to 3k getting a licence just to do that, the money will never be brilliant for that reason.

brados:

George@ASDA driver:

brados:

George@ASDA driver:

What is the reason?

The work is now easy and clean, you turn up for work to a loaded truck and just drive it, no unloading and just drive the truck back, park it up and go home, in fact you could have spent up to 3k getting a licence just to do that, the money will never be brilliant for that reason.

There are loads of driving jobs, clean or dirty who still pay very well.

It never fails to surprise me the amount of drivers who talk down their own job, then wonder why pay is crap.

Do you not have to help tip your trailer at asda? I would’ve thought you do more work than say someone who just delivers to rdc and sits in waiting room?

Milk Man:
Do you not have to help tip your trailer at asda? I would’ve thought you do more work than say someone who just delivers to rdc and sits in waiting room?

It’s usually roll cages off back of trailer onto scissor lift or roll them off trailer if using a dock leveller. If it’s ambient then pallet truck the pallets to the back door then forkie takes them away. So yes some work involved which is more than I can say a lot of the time. :blush:

George@ASDA driver:
There are loads of driving jobs, clean or dirty who still pay very well.

It never fails to surprise me the amount of drivers who talk down their own job, then wonder why pay is crap.

The pay is crap generally across the board for drivers, we were earning more per week in the 90’s than drivers are now with a much lower cost of living, driving was a well paid job back then, I am self employed and an od, I have been self employed for almost 30 years, I have made a good living from it but would never work directly for anyone, I refuse supermarket work because of the time and bs that comes with it, I don’t need to do it or deal with the little hitlers that think they are gods in their own land. In fact I only once did a supermarket job back in the early 2000’s to a Sainsbury’s store in the Midlands, I was told I would have to wait for three hours to tip just 6 pallets - an hour later they were sitting in my warehouse and were not released until I had been paid for the delivery and the storage - I ended any supermarket work then. Turns out they needed the goods more than I did.
Drivers are low paid now because anyone can do it, take a test today and tomorrow you can be driving for an agency delivering to Asda, that is why the money is generally poor, the majority of driving jobs are just that - drivers, drivers are and always will be ten a penny. Anyone who thinks they are irreplaceable just tell your boss he is t**t and walk out, your seat will be filled before it has even gone cold and the chances are it will be at a rate less than yours.

Anyone work out of the Asda in Falkirk / Grangemouth? If yes a bit of info on your working day would be nice and if you know what agencies they use… do tell lol

I wonder what point the “critical mass” of drivers to “jobs that must be done” will be reached?

If the only agency with any drivers available wants to charge £20ph, you can only say as manager “f— that! - We’ll lapse the duty!” so many times before their own superiors start asking “Why hasn’t your yard got the goods out ? - Oh, you were trying to save a few quid - but at the cost of our firm losing serious market share, let alone it being a PR disaster because of all the stuff we’ve not shifted!”

Sooner or later, that same manager is going to realise that “we need to get the job done, and bugger the cost. It’s not my money after all, but it WILL be my job if I drop the operations ball over all this…”

I’d say that firms looking to take drivers on full time right now are the most shrewd yards out there in terms of “timing”. :open_mouth: :bulb: