Tea-leaf

When I got to work today, I saw two of our LWB Merc Sprinters (59 plate) with their exhausts lying on the floor underneath the vans. The word is some one/people got in the yard and nicked the cats out of the exhaust systems.
Just a “heads up” for anyone with new(ish) sprinters

It’s quite a common occurrence I’m afraid to say :frowning: . We had the same thing with two Ford Rangers last week and it’s not the first time this has happened!

G8YMW:
When I got to work today, I saw two of our LWB Merc Sprinters (59 plate) with their exhausts lying on the floor underneath the vans. The word is some one/people got in the yard and nicked the cats out of the exhaust systems.
Just a “heads up” for anyone with new(ish) sprinters

Copper, Platinum and Palladium prices are high at the moment. A cat will fetch between 60 and 150 quid, enough to score some good gear.

Mudie Bond Oxford (Cassington) had a load nicked a few days ago.

Wheel Nut:
A cat will fetch between 60 and 150 quid, enough to score some good gear.

err no they won’t, cat’s on petrols contain rare metals, but there are none present in a derv, the are fitted with what looks like a “cat” but it’s just a great big soot filter, that creates more problems that it solves.

if the scrapman has his head on he’ll A, offer them a price at currant metal prices (about a £10), B, he’ll laugh them out of the yard.

philgor:

Wheel Nut:

err no they won’t, cat’s on petrols contain rare metals, but there are none present in a derv, the are fitted with what looks like a “cat” but it’s just a great big soot filter, that creates more problems that it solves.

if the scrapman has his head on he’ll A, offer them a price at currant metal prices (about a £10), B, he’ll laugh them out of the yard.

I was starting to think I’d missed something, after ripping a cat off my rover diesel, then off a scenic diesel and both just contained a metal mesh and then like a honeycombe type filling inside.

Must admit though, td’s run sooo much better without them.

Current td is an Almera Tino 2.2 and it’s tax is based on emissions so I’m not sure if I can do it to that, but god it needs it, there’s ■■■■ all under 2000rpm in it.

waynedl:

philgor:

Wheel Nut:

I was starting to think I’d missed something, after ripping a cat off my rover diesel, then off a scenic diesel and both just contained a metal mesh and then like a honeycombe type filling inside.

Current td is an Almera Tino 2.2 and it’s tax is based on emissions so I’m not sure if I can do it to that, but god it needs it, there’s [zb] all under 2000rpm in it.

Take it off, you will be fine they dont emission test a diesel car at MOT.

£1000 per oz for platinum :laughing:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7358543.stm

ajdavis64:

waynedl:

philgor:

Wheel Nut:

Current td is an Almera Tino 2.2 and it’s tax is based on emissions so I’m not sure if I can do it to that, but god it needs it, there’s [zb] all under 2000rpm in it.

Take it off, you will be fine they dont emission test a diesel car at MOT.

I know old diesels were just a smoke test, but I wasn’t sure about the newer ones where you tax is based on your co2 emissions, if they were then tested during mot?

if not, it’s gone :slight_smile:

Wheel Nut:
£1000 per oz for platinum :laughing:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7358543.stm

Gone up £100 since then platinumprice.org/platinum-price-per-ounce.html

petrols- a cat is needed to get through the mot

derv- a “cat/dpf” is needed by law but people do remove them,

• side- more mpg, free revving, less to go wrong, cleaner engine when mot time comes round.

-side, on newer cars (dpf fitted), it’s a pita to remove and keep the dpf light off, (engine may go in to safe mode). if the car doesn’t go in to “regeneration mode” (where the soot in the dpf filter gets burnt off) you may get a big bill to replace it and it may fail the smoke test at mot time

and all diesels are tested for smoke levels just to different levels turbo charged 3.00m-1, non turbo 2.50m-1 and the new limit for all vehicles regestared after 01/08/11 the limit is 1.50m-1

top tip for any one who takes any derv for an mot test (cars/vans/trucks), get run it to normal engine tempreture, and give a good thashing down the road, hold the gears for an extra 1k of revs or so, and give it plenty of bootfulls of the right foot, it’ll sail throught the test.

the offical smoke test is to-
engine @ operating tempture
when you rev the engine you are meant to go full throtal till the governer cut in not the red line on the tacometer