Volvo cat

A friend of mine recently had a cat replaced on a 07 8x4. The truck was down on power and this was the solution. £3800 pounds later the truck is back on song. I tried to console him by suggesting the old one may be worth a kings ransom wieghed in. Off he went to a reputable scrap yard and was offered the princely some of £50, not quiet what we had in mind. If the replacement item costs aprox. £3500 then where does that figure come from ?

Just explained this storey to my wife about the the titanium content and the the fact that he could only just lift it. She suggested that jewellery was made of it and maybe H.Samuels might be an option. :laughing:

worth a look maybe

westmerciaradiators.co.uk/ca … rters.html

Wow that is interesting stuff.

with the costs of euro 6 systems ,I can see more of these companies appearing…

How come ■■■■■■ nick them off vans then if that’s all they’re worth?

How come our traveller friends nick them them off vans then?

That is a great thought, in fact my friend has several minibus/coaches as well and has had a cat stolen off an iveco bus.

Tarmac duck:
A friend of mine recently had a cat replaced on a 07 8x4. The truck was down on power and this was the solution. £3800 pounds later the truck is back on song. I tried to console him by suggesting the old one may be worth a kings ransom wieghed in. Off he went to a reputable scrap yard and was offered the princely some of £50, not quiet what we had in mind. If the replacement item costs aprox. £3500 then where does that figure come from ?

I think your friends just been had by the so called reputable scrapyard.

No he has not been had, he did not accept that offer. Do you speak from experience in that you have wieghed in a cat for a better return or are you just glad to gloat.

Now then tarmacduck. Nellys truck? I was with one of his drivers at Swinden on the MPQC [zb]course on Friday :open_mouth: :unamused:

I’m told you can clean a diesel particulate filter by soaking it in a heated citric acid solution for a couple of hours. I haven’t tried doing it myself but from my distant memories of chemistry lessons at school, this would seem to make sense.

take it to a big main scrap yard,as i go to emr scrapyard & can get £5 or £80 from scrap car cats,genuine cats are worth alot more than cheaper patten cats. :slight_smile:

Tarmac duck:
Wow that is interesting stuff.

Indeed, especially the bit that say

We are also experts at the cleaning out of Catalytic Converters becoming blocked due to contamination from Ad Blue usage.

:open_mouth:
I thought Ad Blue was supposed to clean cats on the go, not bung them up :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

There have been issues with ad -blue not being up to spec,also if ad -blue is injected in to a CAT not fully up to temp ,an example is a EAS unit that has decided to constantly pump ad blue even when not required,then it will solidify like concrete…they call it BIURET… It will bring on the MIL light and you will have excess exhaust backpressure…We connect a gauge to check…You can burn it off by fitting a blanking plate to the exhaust tail pipe ,which rapidly increases the exhaust temp,and if your lucky it burns it off

Great stuff thx to all with constructive replies. Yes Mark it is that truck, the scrap yard is owned by a family friend who in fact sought a second opinion from a third party expert in such things and nelly was in on the conversation.

While back had a spate cat failures on a certain make of lorry in my part of the world,turned out to be a contaminated batch of Ad Blue (not to far from you Harry)

Considering the amount of money involved that is really worrying splitshift.

meant to add …ad-blue does not clean a cat ,it assists in cleaning up the emissions through a chemical reaction…Technically as soon as a new trucks engine or cars is started for the first time ,that is the start of the poisoning of the cat,and it’s downhill for the cat from there …Obviously if everything is to spec you should get many years from it ,dodgy ad blue is a no no Tap water is still a good one, you may get away with up here in jockand for a while,but you have no chance down south with the lime …We send samples to a lab when there is a failure ,if the sample fails we get the results of what the contaminants are…Hence you should never use a watering can etc to fill a system,that has been used for oil /coolant etc

norb:
Hence you should never use a watering can etc to fill a system,that has been used for oil /coolant etc

Ah, I actually knew this one as it happens.

We had a lad run out of diesel just short of Hull on his way to the boat. We all have larger after market tanks but the fuel gauge isn’t calibrated to the tank. He’d only had the wagon a few weeks so hadn’t calibrated his eye to the new tank either. We all carried a 5l can of ad-blue, usually empty :unamused: , which was lucky in this instance. As we passed him and his best mate, we all stopped, as ya do, and handed over our ad-blue cans. His best mate nipped along the road to the petrol station, filled up the cans, got enough into his tank and got him started.
Anyway, the lad then used one of the now diesel cans for ad-blue and had to use it. Cue buggered ad-blue pump and a warning from the gaffer about never ever, on pain of death, ever risking ever contaminating ad-blue ever, with even a hint of a sniff of diesel, ever :smiley: