Tattoos. Were they worth it?

I’m having myself a tattoo. As I’m an Aquarius (water carrier) and into Scuba Diving, I thought I’d have an octopus getting hold of a mermaid. Has anyone got one and what’s yours?

A mermaid. I’ll take a photo of it next W/E and post it. My mrs got me a little point n shoot digital camera whilst I was away in Portugal. I’ve still got to figure out how to do all that yet. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

I might not have it all by then. It requires two sittings at least with all the shading, colour etc in the design. Now where’s Sherburn. Got to be in bed by 7pm Sunday as I’m working at 4am Monday :laughing: .

I used to work with a nice old guy called Fred and thats as far as I will go namewise, Fred had tattoos all over his arms, by the time he reached 65 his arms were just blue and hardly recognisable as anything in particular. Tattos might look good when you are young but they look very bad as you age.
I also knew an idiot who had a four letter word on his forehead and now wonders why at the age of 45 the only job he can get is cleaning toilets.

I had a Big Eagle on my back! :open_mouth: cost a fortune!!!
I woke up one morning and it had flew away :open_mouth: :smiley:

the old ones are the best arnt there?

well we were all young once…and thought it was cool to have a tattoo…made us grown up…mind you i had to hide mine for ages incase my dad belted me one…had the girls name put on one arm…had to have it covered over when we split…had the hells angel skull and crossbones on the other arm…the colours are faded now but at least i can cover them up i winter with a long sleeved shirt…an old girlfriend wondered why i had h.m.s. on my private…told her when it got big it spelt hammersmith:laughing:
have a nice day

Pat Hasler:
I also knew an idiot who had a four letter word on his forehead and now wonders why at the age of 45 the only job he can get is cleaning toilets.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: .

It’ll be on my shoulder and arm down to my tan line. That way if I want to show it off, I can wear a short sleeved shirt, if I want to cover it up, then a regular T-Shirt will do the job :wink: .

I have a rose just above one ankle and a humming bird above the other ankle
I had always wanted a tatoo for as long as I can remeber but only plucked up the courage 6 years after my mum died if I had, had them done whilst she was alive she would have belted me.
pam

i have a “W” on each buttock… when i bend over it spells wow… :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I have a Pegasus flying horse on my shoulder, but above the T-shirt line so it’s not on permanent view.

Anyone seen the fox hunt ?.
Top of the back. The hunt jumping a hedge.
Lower back. Hounds.
Disappearing down a crevice. Fox’s tail.

I’ve been thinking about having a tattoo for ages now… Nothing in colour coz of what Pat said, the colours all basically intremingle and fade, so I was thinking about a Celtic design on my upper arm, going into one of those bands round the bicep… but aint had the money of courage to have it done yet… and now, I’m starting to think, is it worth it…

so I will be reading this thread with great interest…

So those that have them… are they worth it??.. Yes, or no??

I once knew a West Indian and an Englishman, both had ‘W Y’ on their wotsit when limp. When errect the Engishmans read 'Wendy" (his girlfrinds name) The West Indians read “Welcome to Barbados and have a nice day” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

so I was thinking about a Celtic design on my upper arm,

henrick larrson won’t cost much or hurt you , :laughing: :laughing: but the tricolour might,have you seen the amount of colours in that flag. :laughing: :laughing:

All of my Tattoos were done in the late 70’s, most before I was 18, & they still look fine, the colours have changed slightly, some have spread very slightly, but they are are all still looking OK.
The red ink seems to be photo sensitive in my Tattoos, & I get a small, non problematic bump during very hot summers.

What have I got? 5 altogether…

The first one was a small black dragon flying across a moon on my left shoulderblade. I was young and didn’t know anything about finding a decent tattooist, and it was VERY badly done. After it spread into basically a misshapen blob, I had a good tattooist “play” with it, which was a great improvement, although it’s still the only one of the 5 which I’d get rid of if I could afford to. :blush:

Next was another small black dragon on the very base of my spine, again not very well done, plus the head rubbed on my trousers so the colour came out when it was healing. He’s getting re-blacked soon, with some tribal stuff around him, but I still basically like him - he just needs a bit of TLC.

Then there are my 2 Celtic armbands…on the right is a green and black dragon with a knotwork band also coloured in in green. On the left is a large Celtic knot with another knotwork band, both coloured in various reds,oranges, and yellows. Both go right 'round my arms, both are high enough to cover or show at will, and both still give me a great deal of pleasure.

My pride-and-joy, however, is my big dragon. He’s about 12" wide by 18" long and covers most of my back. He’s basically finished, although he could do with a bit of smoke etc. around him to make him complete. Again, easily covered.

Are they worth it? I think so, yes, provided you have them done for the right reasons. I couldn’t care less what anyone else thinks about my tats, I like them, so that’s what matters. Not many people have actually seen the big one on my back, and my arms are covered most of the time at work, but I know they are there and that’s what matters.
I would never have a partner’s name tattooed on - seems to be a bit of a jinx - and I’d also never pick a design off the wall display. My first 2 were “flash”, but the big 3 were custom-designed, so I know they’re unique. :grimacing:

The main thing is to have them done for you, not for anyone else. Then you can’t really go wrong. And when I’m old and grey? Well, then they’re still there as a momento of days gone by and the person I once was…and at the end of the day, our past is what makes us who we are…:wink:

I think Lucy has cracked it Tatoo’s are worth it if you continue to enjoy them when the novelty has worn off.

I use to do some driving for the local youth & community team doing mobile youth clubs from a caravan. & my Tattoos & piercings were good ice breakers, they also gave us the opertunity to introduce Hep B & HIV into the coversation in a way that bought others into the coversation, rather than emptied the caravan.
I once saw a sign that said unlike most things Tattoos cannot be borrowed or stolen, they don’t breakdown or get repossed, & its about the only thing, other than a suit, that you can take to your grave.
I don’t regret mine.

i got 10 tats bigone with a few more to be done yet too, i dont regret any of them mate…the only thing that pee’s me off is some peoples perception of people who have them…they tend to think you wanna start a row or your some sort of hard man…so they either look down at you and don’t want to approach you, because your common…or they wanna come up and fight ya!!!

i dont know if this is just my experience or wether other people have noticed that. my wife says it is just because i am 6ft1 22 stone and i usually have a shaven head and eye piercing too…she says i look like a football thug or drug dealer and it makes me unapproachable and i should expect people to react like that…but that just annoys me as you should get to know the person first then make judgement. personally i think i am an ok guy and very approachable…but then i would :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I know what you mean, MM…it’s the same for me too. Any situation where I need to be taken seriously the tats stay firmly covered.

The usual assumption is that I’m a lesbian. As you can imagine, this is particularly common at work - hence not showing them much there. :unamused: Then there’s the talking to you like you’re a)common and therefore b)daft. Since I have an iq well over 140 and hate to be patronised, you can imagine this doesn’t go down too well… :blush:

Still don’t regret having them done, though…:grimacing: